Can someone talk to me about turbulence?

(17 Posts)
cantdoalgebra Fri 21-Jun-13 21:07:07

Keep your seat belt done up at all times you are in your seat regardless of what the cabin crew are doing and regardless of weather conditions.

specialsubject Fri 21-Jun-13 20:59:49

if you were rational you would find out how an aircraft flies. The basics are simple.

the guy driving wants to get home in one piece too.

wear your seatbelt whenever you are in your seat. If the cabin crew are still on their feet, it is probably fine. If they tell you to sit down and buckle up, do so. The guy driving gets weather info and will drive around bad bits.

smelly remedies are all very well on the groun, but don't wear anything that anyone else can smell on the plane - it might just make your neighbour vomit on you. That includes perfume.

enjoy the trip.

BiddyPop Fri 21-Jun-13 11:35:02

Neal's Yard do a lovely aromatherapy roll on oil for travel which is only about 15 ml (maybe a bit more but way under the 100ml limit).

I love flying, but find the stress of running around the airport can be unsettling for me, and more so now I am chasing DD. And that always helps me calm down to the enjoyment part again.

I know they do other ones too (relax, sleep, passion etc), which are all nice mixes to have too. Or even just some lavendar oil.

Just roll it on your wrist in the terminal or, like me, as soon as you get into your seat.

Rescue remedy helps too - and they do nice pastilles that you can suck/chew as part of your "sucky sweet for air pressure changes" plans on takeoff/landing.

VerySmallSqueak Thu 20-Jun-13 20:02:37

With turbulence it just feels a bit bumpy.

We have had several old cars that sound like they're taxiing for take off when they go over 30 mph. It's more noise than anything else.

Suck a sweet when you land to help your ears adjust.

4forkssake Thu 20-Jun-13 19:57:56

Try to watch Airport Live that's been on BBC2 this week (think its still on catch up). It's been quite informative about certain aspects of flying & I think it's explained a bit about turbulence & about take off. Also, the Alan Carr (not the comedian grin) book about Fear of Flying is worth a read, or Virgin have an app on Fear of Flying (have the app but haven't listened to it so not sure what its like). I really don't like flying but have found since having kids, I'm better cos I don't want to pass my fears onto them. Take off & turbulence are also my least favourite bits. Kalms tablets & rescue remedy can also help & a couple stuff drinks!!!! wink

mirai Wed 19-Jun-13 22:37:17

Thank you, those are two great tips mimble! smile

mimbleandlittlemy Wed 19-Jun-13 17:48:12

Remember to take a paperback book as well as the Kindle because some airlines won't let you have the kindle on for take off and landing. Nothing could be worse than sitting there, thumb twiddling, if you want total distraction.

I was once sitting opposite the steward at take off on a really empty flight leaving Heathrow and moaning about how bumpy the takeoff is from both Heathrow and Gatwick. He said something that made perfect sense - which is that the air never gets the chance to settle going out of a busy airport and it's like boats crossing the wake of other boats in and out of harbour. Works for me.

Have a good trip.

mirai Wed 19-Jun-13 06:29:44

Thank you all for your advice. It has helped! I am charging up my iPod as I speak and am about to get a few books on my kindle too. Total distraction is the aim! smile

mummymeister Tue 18-Jun-13 23:13:19

I take drugs to get me through the flight but then I am v v nervous flyer. speak to your GP if you are really worried they are sympathetic usually. I find that the relaxation stuff on the console really helps as does really good headphones to reduce the noise. just accept you have a fear and don't like it and it will be easier.

PoppyWearer Tue 18-Jun-13 15:30:18

I did a Fear of Flying course and they said think of it like a submarine in water. Sometimes the water gets choppy. I have found that analogy to be really helpful.

TryDrawing Tue 18-Jun-13 15:27:37

You know when you're in the swimming pool? When someone swims close by, or you swim past where the water flows in, you feel the water turbulence. The water moves, and buffets you a bit but you're still in control. You'd need massive huge waves to cause problems

Air turbulence is the same thing. You feel it but it's not a big deal, it's just the nature of air to move. It feels strange to us because we're used to standing on a solid, which doesn't (usually) move.

HighJinx Tue 18-Jun-13 15:15:43

Try this website

PatriciaHolm Tue 18-Jun-13 15:05:20

Think of it like a car going over bumps in the road; the plane goes over bumps in the air. You wouldn't worry about the former, would you? The latter is similar in concept, you just can't see the bump! It happens more where there are changes in air pressure, so over the junction between land and sea for example.

mirai Tue 18-Jun-13 09:42:03

Thanks both, I'll see if I can find a kindle book that explains it all! I know it's the safest form of transport but even so! smile

Longdistance Tue 18-Jun-13 06:43:21

Hi Mirai.
Try and google Frank Whittle, he invented the jet engine for aircraft. It will probably explain how an aircraft takes off. Sorry, I'm rubbish at linking blush
Basically, the fuel that goes through the engine gets burnt off, and this enables the aircraft to move along, the more fuel it gets in the engines the faster it goes which will in turn enable the aircraft to lift off. Or there abouts confused

Basically, turbulence is air flow, and can be due to weather changes, and atmospheric pressure changes. That's why the aircraft wobbles and shakes.

I'm sure they'll be a pilot along any minute with a better version, and more knowledgable than me smile

WouldBeHarrietVane Tue 18-Jun-13 06:19:52

Mirai, I used to be pretty afraid of flying. Then my oh was moved to Spain by his work for a contract and of course I had to go and visit him out there a lot.

What I found was that actually a lot of my fear was based on unfamiliarity. As I flew more I got used to the very occasional turbulence, the normal noise of the plane, the cabin pressure etc. Now I'm just not as scared any more, which is great!

Hopefully your long flight will give you a similar chance to get used to flying. Hope you are going for a lovely holiday at the end of it too!

mirai Tue 18-Jun-13 06:02:16

I have a long flight coming up and it seems as I'm getting older I'm getting more rational about flying. As in, it's really not normal for something that heavy to be up in the sky!

I think I'll generally be ok, I wouldn't say I'm afraid of flying, or even that I'm a nervous flyer (yet??) but I really don't like turbulence and I'm not that keen on take off either.

Please can someone talk some sense into me? smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now