WWYD? More airtime in more comfort or less airtime in less comfort?

(32 Posts)
BebeBelge Tue 18-Jun-13 05:17:44

We are living overseas and are lucky enough to be able to fly home this summer in business class at the expense of DH's employer. There are 2 possible routes:

Route One: 10 hr night flight then a 3 hour stopover followed by 7 hour daytime flight. Both flights will have flat bed seats, excellent entertainment, and are with Emirates who have a reputation for being a nice airline, v child-friendly etc. etc.

OR

Route 2: 12 hr daytime flight then a 2 hour stopover followed by a 3 hour daytime flight. This would be with KLM. The long flight does not have flat-beds and from experience at least one of the entertainment systems will be broken, food is so-so and the second flight will not have entertainment as it is shorthaul.

We have 3 dcs - 5yo, almost 3yo and 13mo. 13mo will be on our laps and is too big for the cot/bassinet, 2 yr old will have a seat.

What do you think? I am veering towards Emirates as it might be a nicer experience and it avoids 10hrs+ on one flight as I personally lose the will to live on planes past the 9/10 hr mark! But DH thinks we should do KLM and get there quicker! We have agreed to let Mumsnet decide for us as we cannot agree on this!

PS. Totally realise that this is an utterly insignificant problem in the grand scheme of...just about everything else really blush but we need to book flights soon!

Janek Tue 18-Jun-13 11:18:58

Imo a nighttime flight where you can sleep is not even 'travelling' - you'd have been asleep anyway, so you are just using the time productively! So essentially you're choosing between a 7 hour flight and a 12+3 hour flight, which is a no-brainer.

We regularly get an overnight train, so i know of what i speak - an hour to london, 2.5 to paris, an overnight to milan and 3 hrs to destination is much less hassle than an hour to london, 2.5 to paris, 3 hrs to destination, which we also do as the overnight train DOES NOT FEEL LIKE TRAVELLING.

Scruffey Tue 18-Jun-13 11:21:30

Emirates definitely.

BebeBelge Tue 18-Jun-13 11:36:00

I agree it might not feel like travelling as such If I was asleep. I just hope the dcs let me!

I think it is a 777 rather than A380sad

mirai Tue 18-Jun-13 12:15:20

Janet, I can't sleep on planes even if it is meant to be night time, and even with sleeping tablets and/or a cheeky wine!

BebeBelge Tue 18-Jun-13 15:23:54

Thanks, All! I'll show this to DH later!

eurozammo Tue 18-Jun-13 15:27:19

Option 1, definitely.

The flight time is only 2 hrs different in total (15 vs 17) and the total travel time is only 3 hrs different. Not worth sacrificing the comfort of biz class for that.

PoppyWearer Tue 18-Jun-13 15:32:32

Emirates.

Hugely child-friendly.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now