Hotels in Venice

(8 Posts)
sapphirestar Mon 17-Jun-13 20:42:49

Calling all wise mumsnetters!!

We've taken the plunge and booked flights to Venice and are now looking for a hotel for 2 adults 2 children, aged 14 and 4.

Getting really bogged down in trawling through all the websites and thought I'd turn to mumsnet. Looking for somewhere cheap, doesn't need to be anything special. Just needs to be clean and comfortable.

Anyone have any recommendations/advice??? Thanks x

iseenodust Mon 17-Jun-13 20:52:00

We stayed (a few years ago now) in a Best Western on Venice Lido (which is not Lido di Jesolo). It was fine and the food was good. The best thing was though that every day we hopped on a boat and got off at a different stop & then wandered so probably saw more than we would from a hotel in the centre.

Top tip book the secret tour of the doges palace, all secret passageways, spyholes and the torture chamber!

iseenodust Mon 17-Jun-13 20:53:08

Forgot to say Venice Lido has a small but proper sandy beach.

Laquila Mon 17-Jun-13 20:56:13

I've stayed a couple of times in a very cheap (by Venetian standards) and VERY central hotel called Hotel Ai Due Mori, just off St Marks Sq - it was clean, comfortable and surprisingly quiet, given the location. It's been a few years since I've been, mind you, but worth a google.

WorkInProgress Mon 17-Jun-13 20:56:41

We booked an apartment in the Jewish quarter. It was cheaper than a hotel and one of the nicest things was buying food at the market and cooking it ourselves. Eating out was v expensive and a bit crap.
Second the recommendation of secret tour of the doges palace.

Laquila Mon 17-Jun-13 20:57:28

Sorry, just googled...Hotel Ai Do Mori, not Due Mori:

http://www.hotelaidomori.com/2/rooms_photogallery_1197061.html

YDdraigGoch Mon 17-Jun-13 20:58:55

Can't remember what it's called, but the hotel opposite the water taxi terminal in the Lido was fab. Full of aged splendour.

sapphirestar Tue 18-Jun-13 20:58:22

Thanks all, will have a look! I fancy the doges palace too

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now