Is anyone going to the Grand Prix?

(12 Posts)
GreenShadow England Mon 24-Jun-13 15:18:05

Yes Eagle - agree with taking lots of layers - it can get very cold if you are just sitting in the grandstand. They are quite exposed and Silverstone can get rather windswept.

Spa is lovely isn't it. WE went on an organised tour pre-DC and although some of the others on the tour were rather frustrating (late turning up for the coach etc when everyone else was desperate to get to the circuit early), it was a easy way to do it.

I've also been to GPs at Hockenheim, Zandvoort (Holland) and Zeltwig (Austria) and loved them all.

mummyplonk Sat 22-Jun-13 22:59:00

Thanks guys, envy at corporate tickets , I think I will bring some food and drink in the rucksack then I really hope they have sorted out the roads to the circuit.

EagleNebula Sat 22-Jun-13 21:46:56

I went to the race last year and have Saturday tickets this year (I work for one of the sponsors).

Get there as early as possible even if you do have seats, I think I got to the park and ride about 8am last year and it took probably about another 40 minutes to get to the circuit.

Food is a rip off so take a picnic. Layer up, take waterproofs and a brolly as the weather is very changeable. Remember sun cream! Ear plugs are fine.

Last year after the race we headed straight for the stage where Jake Humphrey did a spot - saw Lewis, Jenson, Murray Walker, Damon Hill, Paul Di Resta and loads more, then Eddie Jordan's band. Atmosphere was fab, got bus back to park and ride about half seven. No queues and minimal traffic, the later you can leave the better.

Enjoy! If you ever fancy a foreign one I can thoroughly recommend Spa...

CMOTDibbler Sat 22-Jun-13 21:30:02

DH is going - in fact he gets to go most years, courtesy of corporate hospitality from a company he uses. I don't get to go <not bitter at all>

SexAndDrugsAndSausageRolls Sat 22-Jun-13 21:22:32

Never been to Silverstone GP but I have been to others and yes, you'll need earplugs. The noise is like nothjnv on earth. Just the normal cheap ones from Boots travel section are fine.

Hope you get better weather than previous years. That's what puts me off going to the British GP. I prefer to go where the weather is a little more reliable. Hope you enjoy it!

mummyplonk Sat 22-Jun-13 21:17:37

Anyone else going? Tell me your plans.

mummyplonk Fri 21-Jun-13 12:02:32

Only a week to go smile at least the weather is looking a bit better than last year! I hope Lewis wont be peanalised too heavily over "Tyregate".

GreenShadow England Tue 18-Jun-13 17:49:30

I used to wear foam earplugs which seems to work well.

Back in the days when I went, they didn't have any evening entertainment once the races had finished, but it sounds an excellent idea to help space the leaving times.

It must be over 20 years since I last went to the GP, but you're tempting me to think about it again for next year. We stopped going when the prices started rising rapidly (and the DC started arriving). I've also been to several foreign ones over the years but don't think I ever encountered anything like the traffic problems in the UK.

mummyplonk Tue 18-Jun-13 16:56:46

Thanks for your replies, yes it does look like they have made drastic improvements on the transport routes with designated bus/coach lanes, there are also 4 park and rides this year, which we are booked on one.

It looks like it is going to be an exhausting day so if we could leave about 6.30am I think that would be perfect (Park and Ride 25 miles away from Hotel) so maybe get there 7.30-8.00 with traffic?
Did you have ear defenders when you went? I do have earplugs will these be good enough?

Did any of you stay for any of the entertainment on Saturday and Sunday? I never thought they would roll out Billy Ocean smile but it could be fun.

GreenShadow England Tue 18-Jun-13 15:39:51

Like Special, we haven't been for years, so am not up to date with roads, but if you have seats booked, I wouldn't worry quiet as much as we used to have to. We used to aim to arrive as soon as the gates opened and rush to get good spaces round the outside of the track.

Also depends on how important it is to you to see the supporting races in the morning.

specialsubject Sat 15-Jun-13 22:36:35

I read something to the effect that they have improved the roads. When I went (admittedly a v long time ago) the only way to get in without hours in a traffic jam was to take bikes and cycle from about 4 miles away.

mummyplonk Sat 15-Jun-13 21:36:33

V excited, my first time, any tips or advice greatly appreciated. We have seats booked for Sunday so do I really need to be up at the crack of dawn to be there?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now