First time mum. Any advise for travelling?

(12 Posts)
JackReacher Sun 16-Jun-13 17:21:42

Thanks forevergreek definitely getting the lionheart bug - looks fab - never heard of such a thing. Thanks

forevergreek Sun 16-Jun-13 09:03:42

Oops..

I meant ours always loved being pushed around early evening with the shade down or laying on a towel on beach at 6/7pm when cool.

The bug thing btw is a 'prince lionheart love bug'

And the 'dooky' sunshade is very practical

forevergreek Sun 16-Jun-13 08:59:50

We have used a mossie net on bugaboo before but depends where you are going.

You can also buy mossie bands you can put on arms and legs ( but he may be too small), and we had a duck that clips to pram containing baby friendly stuff when in vietnam

I am not sure if those room things are baby friendly but they really give me a headache so I would say probably not. And at that age I didn't use any creams on baby not even suncream as it recommends not under 6 months.
Just get a decent sun shade and cover in hat/ stay in shade. Our have always l

JackReacher Sun 16-Jun-13 06:11:15

Perfect. Thanks for the replies.
Adventures one word for it!!
Will take your advise no car seat, I can see that I don't need it now.... Yes exclusively breastfeeding.
Did you have any issues with Mosquitos/bugs? Is there anything I can use on baby?
Does anyone know if those plug ins are safe to use with a baby in the room??

IAgreeCompletely Sun 16-Jun-13 00:45:33

Gosh, that sounds like great fun and a bit of an adventure.

If you are breast feeding then babies of that age are quite transportable grin

I travelled by ferry and train old to southern France to meet up with my parents with my four month old (years and years ago). I didn't take a car seat but took a collapsable pushchair. I can't remember any problems. He slept in my bed and I just had him on my lap in taxis. Times were a bit different and I didn't think of any health and safety issues confused

forevergreek Sat 15-Jun-13 23:44:54

Ah in that case I say pram, no car seat.

Using pram as babies sleeping space will also mean you can bath baby and get ready for bed in eve then pop him in pram and head out to restaurants etc with husband in evening. Baby might be awake or asleep, but it he falls asleep you can just push pram back to flat/ hotel and park next to your bed without disturbing him.

Also the cameleon has a huge basket so can fit everything you might need in a day if you go sightseeing. And you can leave baby in it happily sleeping in day whilst you read a book with glass of wine by a river or something smile

JackReacher Sat 15-Jun-13 23:14:56

Iagreecompletely:
Traveling by train across europe from London and taxis, no hire car or flights involved.
Hotel in one country, a flat in another (not serviced) and a hotel in another country... (my partners working in Europe and we are tagging along or I won't see him for a month!)
No family apart from partner going but as I say he will be working all day.
Thanks for all advise so far honestly it's a all really helpful for me (should have said not flying but we will be flying early next year so will take note of everything said).

GoingVerySlowlyMad Sat 15-Jun-13 22:44:59

Yes second the suggestion to take a sling as you sometimes have quite a wait until you are reunited with your pushchair again. I have always gotten my buggy back on the luggage belt never at the plane steps.

I would also invest in either a cheaper buggy or get the travel bag for the bugaboo as I have witnessed the baggage handlers throwing the buggies down onto the tarmac. From what I remember most airlines let you take 2 items of baby equipment free of charge e.g. pushchair and carseat or pushchair and travel cot.

forevergreek Sat 15-Jun-13 21:16:28

Take both as the bugaboo carrycot is suitable for overnight sleeping so can use as moses basket to sleep in when away. The pebble can go on plane if baby has own seat, or checked in with luggage if not. And useful in car/ taxis one arrived and on drive to and from airports. Baby should t stay in car seat more than 2 hrs at a time so I wouldn't take as sole buggy method for a month. Put pram in transport bag at home so ready to check in.

Take sling for at airport/ where stairs/ cobble stones are.

Most airlines actually allow an infant to travel with a buggy/ car seat and travel cot but you will have to check with airline

junkfoodaddict Sat 15-Jun-13 21:02:34

Assuming you are flying I have this advice:
I took our 7 month old to Madeira last year. We took our Britax B-Agile buggy (very light, easy fold at a click of a button and pull handle on the seat - which is not a hinderance to little bottoms! -and suitable for newborns) and our Mothercare infant car seat (which goes on our Mothercare Urban Detour three-wheeler buggy but thought it too big to go on a plane so bought the Britax).
The staff at the airport allowed both on without so much as questioning the weight issue. The car seat went straight to 'over sized items' check in before security and we took LO and buggy straight to the plane doors. We were flying with Jet2.com but think most decent airlines allow the same to happen. If you are travelling with a significant other, then handling a pushchair/pram and car seat shouldn't be that much of a pain. If alone, good luck!
One thing I will say is that take a sling/infant carrier to strap onto you on the plane and definitely at the 'other side' as depending on your desitnation, you may not see the buggy until the get to the carousel for your luggage. Despite dropping the buggy off at the plane steps on the outbound flight at Leeds, on the return leg of the journey, they would not allow us to collect it again at the steps (despite Madeiran authorities allowing us too!) and it was a good 45 minutes of holding a 7-month-old before I saw the buggy again!

IAgreeCompletely Sat 15-Jun-13 01:01:19

Are you flying or driving?

Are you staying in a hotel, with family or in a house or flat.

We need more details smile

JackReacher Fri 14-Jun-13 22:39:34

Hello and thanks for looking at this thread.
First time mum of a 4month old and feeling slightly stupid and confused... Heading on a 4 week holiday soon and can't get my head round what to take!

I have a bugaboo chameleon3 and a maxi-cosi pebble car seat. I will be traveling across Europe. Do people normally take both? Thinking logistical nightmare😁
Any tips in general REALLY appreciated or any good websites that are useful too - thanks

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now