Travel to the airport with 2 kids, a double pushchair, 3 suitcases, 2 pieces of hand luggage, DH and me....and a partridge in a pear tree!

(26 Posts)
OurAveline Thu 13-Jun-13 21:46:08

Ok. So this is going to be our first family holiday since having DS earlier this year. DD is only 3 so still in a car seat. Normally when we go away we drive our own car to the airport (partly for convenience but mainly so that I am happy with the car seat arrangements for the 20 minute trip to the airport, which involves travelling on the motorway). However I just can't fathom how on earth we're going to fit everything in the car this year (despite the fact that I drive a biggish car).

Is it just me or is it not possible to fit all the required crap in a family car?

Is it normal to need a minibus for a family of just 2 adults and 2 kids???.

NarkyNamechanger Thu 13-Jun-13 21:48:04

My god why so much luggage?? I have 3dc and we take 2 cases and 1 hand luggage plus buggy.

LineRunner Thu 13-Jun-13 21:48:36

It's the 3 suitcases, really, isn't it?

WitchOfEndor Thu 13-Jun-13 22:13:28

Try a local airport transfers firm, they should be able to provide something that has the seats and space you need and they will have cars seats for children.

sweetestcup Thu 13-Jun-13 22:33:08

I dont think its "so much luggage" at all, its only 1 case per adult and 1 between 2 children. We are off to California (me, DH and 2 DSs) for 16 days and will have a suitcase each, a hand-luggage each and a bag or to as well! Luckily my DH drives a Zafira so everything will be in, otherwise I would book a biggish taxi if I was you.

MaryMotherOfCheeses Thu 13-Jun-13 22:36:03

How big are your suitcases? Would you be better having 2 larger suitcases instead of 3?

And take less stuff, obviously grin

mummymeister Fri 14-Jun-13 07:36:03

look at what you have packed and halve it and take wash tablets with you to do washing whilst you are away. with hand luggage we always use rucksacks rather than solid suitcases. if the journey is only 20 mins then you will need to put stuff on the passenger seat and one adult sit in the middle of the two kids at the back.

OurAveline Fri 14-Jun-13 09:35:51

Hmm yes some good tips there. We are at an absolute minimum already with stuff (already expecting to be doing a lot of washing while we're there). Hand luggage is already 2 rucksacks.

2 larger suitcases is a good idea as is squishing the second adult in between the kids in the back. We might have to do a trial run packing everything into the car at this rate.

Thanks

paperlantern Fri 14-Jun-13 10:14:13

Two larger super lightweight suitcases

paperlantern Fri 14-Jun-13 10:14:42

or a roof rack

Seeline Fri 14-Jun-13 10:20:08

You ought to be able to fit stuff on the floor behind the front seats as the kiddies are too small for their legs to be in the way yet. I don't think the amount of stuff seems that excessive but then I always take everythingbut the kitchen sink!!
We often have a trial run at packing the car before we go away, Experimenting with which way round the cases go can make a huge difference.
What car have you got?

Quangle Fri 14-Jun-13 10:20:43

watch out you don't go over the weight limit on suitcases though. Airlines like Ryanair won't let you amalgamate one person's allowance with another so you can take one big suitcase. Really annoying if you have two DCs and physically can't carry another item...

SooticaTheWitchesCat Fri 14-Jun-13 11:34:50

We have this amount of luggage when we travel too and we always book a large taxi to take us to the airport as there is no way it would fit in our car.

forevergreek Fri 14-Jun-13 11:44:57

Rules of travel. Only take bags you hae enough hands for with children.

So 2 adults , 2 children. Only take two suitcases, as then the other adult has enough hands to carry/ hold hands of children/ push pram. Otherwise how is one person going to pull 3 suitcases alone?

Def too much stuff. Also do you need a double with a 3 year old when travelling? I would take just a single for baby and a sling. Then you can along baby in airport as you won't get Pram at other end for ages anyway. And can along baby and 3 year old borrow buggy if they get too tired.

Seeline Fri 14-Jun-13 11:47:35

We've always managed with 3 cases and two littlies - use a trolley!
And buggies are usually first off the planes on hte luggage carousel.

forevergreek Fri 14-Jun-13 13:06:14

Yes but some countries have no trolleys on arrival, there are no trolleys at hotel etc.

Sure buggies may be off first but you have to get off plane, walk miles ( ok 15 mins) sometimes to get to security, wait in security que, then wait 45mins for luggage handlers to empty plane of luggage.. I know I would rather have a small sleeping baby in a sling than carrying around

Hersetta Fri 14-Jun-13 15:21:14

I can see how you would need 3 cases - babies need a lot of stuff plus nappies and toys and snacks for the older one.
We have just come back from a fortnights holiday and we had 3 cases, 1 buggy and 3 hand luggage bags. DD is 5 and Ds is 1 (but not walking).We couldn't fit it all in our car so we took a taxi to the airport and we have a lovely driver who puts our car seats in his taxi, and then looks after them for us and picks us up with them when we return.

the hardest bit was the huge long walk from the plane to arrivals when we landed at gatwick. I carried DS who weighs 29lbs, which DH carried 2 bads (one of which was a nappy bad) whilst DD wheeled her trunki. If was a 15 minute walk and my arms were killing my by the end and in our experience buggies are always the last items to come through at baggage reclaim.

forevergreek Fri 14-Jun-13 16:32:16

That's why I hate trunkis!

Even with a 5 and 1 year old, in future I would recommend a rucksack per adult and maybe a mini one for 5 year old. That way both adults are hands free and can take turns carrying. Often 5 year old might need a carry or shoulder ride also if a late arrival ie they have just woken up on plane and it's 5 am

Quangle Fri 14-Jun-13 16:38:57

hersetta Gatwick is an abomination for that very reason. I did that walk with a very hefty 9mo and a vomiting toddler plus hand-baggage for all three of us - I will never forget that half hour and I will never forgive Gatwick for thinking this infrastructure/lack of assistance is ok.

Murtette Tue 18-Jun-13 22:09:39

Do you need the double? Can you not take a single and a sling and then get DC1 to walk & push DC2 or push DC1 and sling DC2? DC1 going on shoulders is a variation on this.
FWIW, we do the following.
Sling; single pushchair; 1 large suitcase, 2 holdalls & sometimes one small bag; change bag; 2 hand luggage rucksacks.
Drive to airport. DP stops at drop off & dashes to get a trolley & loads all luggage on trolley. I get DC2 in sling and wait at airport whilst DP goes to park car with DC1. DP & DC1 & pushchair then get bus back to airport (this saves us trying to get 2 children & puschair & luggage on bus whilst all the people who only have hand luggage push past us and then tut when we take ages) & we all check in.
Through to airside we take pram, changing bag (contains usual nappies, change of clothes for each DC), one rucksack with DCs entertainment & snacks & one rucksack with paperwork & our things in. This means each adult has a rucksack to carry & DP can carry the change bag over his shoulder (once we've dropped off the pram) and can have DC1 on his other arm if necessary. It also means I have hands free for the random stuff you always end up buying in the airport.
At other side, collect hire car (if hiring car seats, consider getting two trolleys so car seats can go on one). Reason for selecting hold alls rather than suitcases becomes clear as they are more squashable than even a soft sided suitcase. Small bag can go beneath DCs feet.
So, yes, it is doable if you don't have the double.

Murtette Tue 18-Jun-13 22:13:11

PS Don't necessarily reduce the stuff you're taking. I did that and ran out of clothes despite doing 2 loads of washing during a one week holiday. At home, DC2 can wear food smeared clothes; when eating all meals in restaurants (even if just the hotel one) that didn't seem acceptable.

Also, when we land, DP & DC1 and pushchair again get the bus back to the car park & pick up the car and then come back to the airport to collect me & DS. Whilst they're gone, I'll go to the M&S (which now seems to be at every airport) to pick up milk, bread, fruit meaning we can get through the first day usually without having to go to the supermarket.

ihearsounds Tue 18-Jun-13 22:37:11

How long are you going for?
Do people really take enough nappies for hte entire holiday?

caroldecker Tue 18-Jun-13 23:10:17

me partner and DS, never needed more than 1 suitcase for 2 weeks away. Buy nappies etc at destination, its foreign, but not the moon

girlywhirly Wed 19-Jun-13 12:22:01

I would also consider arrangements for getting from the long stay airport carpark to the terminal, unless you are doing a valet parking thing. Struggling on and off the transfer bus with all the luggage/DC etc is no fun. I would consider taxi transfer from home. Will you need a carseat on holiday for DD, in a taxi for example? Would it be worth taking it with you after your taxi to the airport?

DH and I look at car park deals for our chosen airport if we are going for a fortnight, if they cost more than a return taxi fare we get a taxi. On return, we call the firm at baggage reclaim to say we're back and they are waiting for us at the taxi rank. This is just for DH and I! It could save you money on car parking.

mrsspongebob Thu 20-Jun-13 09:18:18

Buy nappies, wipes and all toiletries when you are there.

Single buggy with sling should work.

We manage with one large and one medium trolly bag.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now