Prepaid currency card for under 18?

(9 Posts)
emsiewill Sat 08-Jun-13 16:32:32

Dd1 is going to South Africa with the school in July, and it has been recommended that she takes a prepaid cash card with her, rather than loads of cash. So far, so sensible.

However, I'm not sure if it's possible for an under 18 (she's 16) to have one in their own name. The card that seems to be recommended is the Cash Passport, but I can't see anywhere in it's terms and conditions where it says how old you have to be to have a card.

Anyone have any experience with this? Any recommendations for a card in SA Rand (other than the Cash Passport)?

emsiewill Mon 10-Jun-13 08:26:45

Anyone got any ideas?

senua Mon 10-Jun-13 08:36:45

I was going to suggest a Post Office travel money card but it says that it is for over 18s. However, you could apply in your name (they know who you are because you have to show passport) and then hand over the card to DD. What's the worst that could happen? - that she loses a bit of pre-paid money?

senua Mon 10-Jun-13 09:00:04

I got bored am struggling to find details, but try speaking to the Nationwide about their debit cards. I know it's not a cashcard but if there are limited funds in the account and no overdraft facility then, again, she can't do too much damage.

emsiewill Mon 10-Jun-13 09:38:13

Thanks - the Post Office one hasn't come up in any of the searches I did, so will have a look at the rates on that one. I was thinking that I would have to get one in my name and then give it to her, but didn't want to cause her problems while she's out there. (not sure what problems really as she will only be using it to withdraw cash, but I guess I'm thinking if it gets lost /stolen / eaten by a machine and she has to show ID to sort it out...)

dementedma Sat 15-Jun-13 16:45:41

I got one in my name when DD2 went to work in Spain. Bought it online and she used it without any problems

emsiewill Sun 16-Jun-13 16:43:19

Thanks, I think I will have to go the route of getting it in my name. I just have a tiny fear that something will go wrong, we'll need to get her another one, or she'll have to report it to the police and then it will all start to unravel....

I would speak to the currency card issuer beforehand and see what if any solutions they come up with.

I found the age limit for cash passport online - again its 18 years of age.

Obtaining a bankcard for her in your name could cause you and she all sorts of problems. If it got swallowed at a machine then a new one in your name would have to be re-issued.

Have you spoken to the school about this situation re the cashcards?. They need to be told that their information could be duff.

(BTW your DD needs two clear pages in her passport for entry into SA).

emsiewill Sun 16-Jun-13 19:53:02

Thanks. She has lots of clear pages in her passport as she's never been anywhere interesting! But the school haven't told us that is a requirement...

Not sure the school will be able to assist with the cash card issue though. They have encouraged it because the teachers don't want the responsibility of having all of the children's cash to look after, which I understand, but I don't know if they have really thought through the implications, just see them / used them themselves & thought "what a great idea"

She has her last exam today & then won't be in school again before she goes. Will see if she can have a word with the teacher tomorrow, if not, will contact them myself.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now