2 weeks in Greece, how many pants???

(38 Posts)
ginmakesitallok Fri 07-Jun-13 11:34:36

So last night started the "what else do we need for holidays?" discussion with dp. He pipes up with"I don't think I have 14 pairs of pants?.....". Now is it just me or do we only need about 8 pairs each and rinse them out? Ironic thing is that he only intends to take 3 pairs of shorts....

How much do you take for a fortnight in the sun?

cece Thu 15-Aug-13 11:58:35

Just read the thread and I think I am finally understanding why everyone else in the check in queue has such massive bags! My bag is usually the size of everyone else's check in luggage. I can' abide being loaded down with a massive bag.

cece Thu 15-Aug-13 11:56:06

I went backpacking for 12 months with 3 pairs. One for wearing, one for washing, one for drying...

Even I had to admit defeat though and bought a couple of extra pairs as I hadn't allowed for travelling days when none could be washed/dried...

For two weeks I would take 4 pairs and wash them.

SooticaTheWitchesCat Thu 15-Aug-13 10:32:24

If there is no washing machine I would take 1 pair a day plus 2 spares. This year we have a washing machine so I took about 8. DH took the same but I don't think he wore any, he just wore his shorts wink

I cant be asked washing out anything by hand but if I did have to wash anything I would just use shampoo too.

Shodan Wed 14-Aug-13 19:03:20

blush I took 16 pairs for a week's holiday this year.

One for wearing during siesta time, which we had to spend in the apartment due to excessive heat, and one for evening/night wear. Plus a couple of spares 'just in case'.

I haven't quite got the hang on capsule packing yet.

valiumredhead Wed 14-Aug-13 18:53:48

None not monger!

valiumredhead Wed 14-Aug-13 18:53:26

I just use a bit of shampoo, monger of this travel wash nonsensewink

nomorecrumbs Wed 14-Aug-13 18:44:35

My sodding DP always takes me for 7 mile hikes during hot holidays (I am not exaggerating - what is a 'quick explore' always turns into 3-hour treks) so I would take 16!! Really depends how ahem, 'active' you will be...

I'd take 7-10 pairs each and hand wash as needed. You don't even need liquid wash - shampoo, shower gel and even solid soap all does the same job if you're just freshening them up. (In fact, I've removed some pretty hardcore stains from clothes on holiday by just using the free soap in the room! And hand washing beach towels in washing-up liquid brings them up a treat!)

katydid02 Fri 09-Aug-13 06:40:27

One pair per day. It's very hot in Greece and I'd hate not to have a fresh pair each day.

jollydiane Tue 06-Aug-13 09:42:28

I'm taking a fresh pair for every day. For DS he has 2 pairs for each day (one for sleeping and one for the day). I'm on holiday and don't want to put my hands around smelly pants thanks very much. grin

juneau Mon 29-Jul-13 11:11:45

I take one week's worth of clothes and do a wash mid-way through the holiday. You can buy small plastic bottles in Boots to decant some of your home washing liquid into. A travel washing line is also useful if you're not self-catering or are worried there will be nowhere to hang drying laundry. Alternatively, if in a resort there is nearly always a laundrette.

messagetoyourudy Fri 26-Jul-13 20:49:47

Gosh - really people would take panty liners over taking extra pants?? or even washing your pants!!Wierd - Pantyliners surely take up more room & bulk and you then have created waste needlessly!!!

Just take the pants you think you will need.

If your the type to wash and wear then wash and wear!

If you feel you need more pants than even for the number of days you are going then take that number!

Who the heck changes pants more than once a day? Unless your potty training....

It's very simple it's your life, your bottom, your luggage, your washing, your pants! Whatever you choose will be right for you, not sure you need the mumsnet jury to help you on this life changing decision???

mrsspongebob Fri 21-Jun-13 07:17:58

6 pairs or so and a tub of persil for washing through unless I use the laundry facilities.

Fluffy1234 Thu 20-Jun-13 19:50:52

I normally take about 10 pairs and always just wear just my fave 3 pairs and wash them out each evening. Don't know why I pack so many, I'm the same with hair scrunchies as well.

Hersetta Thu 20-Jun-13 14:36:24

7 or 8 each for us. We only wear them at night so one night i wear a pair with a pany liner, the next night I rip it out and wear them again. I wash DH's with travel wash.

girlywhirly Wed 19-Jun-13 11:36:21

DH is of the opinion that a holiday shouldn't include domestic tasks like laundry, but with airline weight restrictions tightening I persuaded him that a weeks worth of pants for each of us and a small tube of travel wash was the way to go for a fortnights hol. His pants are cotton jersey boxer style, so not tiny briefs! If you are sensitive to detergents, a small bar of a hypoallergenic soap works just as well.

I also use panty liners to extend the wearing time of my pants, so that if I put clean ones on after the evening shower before dinner, I can wear them again the next evening (if wearing swim togs during the day.)

We also take 7 tops for evenings that we wear twice over the fortnight, with different trousers/shorts/accessories so that they look like different outfits.

PasswordProtected Wed 19-Jun-13 10:36:00

Generally take 1 pair of paper knickers per day, plus a few normal pairs. Throw away the paper ones after use. They take up even less space than the normal ones, too :-)

forevergreek Fri 07-Jun-13 15:38:35

I would take 14. 14 pairs are quite small space, even when we often travel with just a small rucksack and no case and would still take 14. They would fit in small side pocket

Theas18 Fri 07-Jun-13 15:33:24

5 pairs each and bar of vanish. Baby bath liquid is also a good multi purpose wash apparently.

Fairygen Fri 07-Jun-13 13:56:31

I always pack for half the time I'll be away, and take washing powder to hand wash.

verygentlydoesit Fri 07-Jun-13 13:54:12

Liquid wash causes me masses of irritation for some reason. I go to great lengths to rinse clothes well after using it, but to no avail.

Having just got back from 2 weeks in Turkey, I'm definitely an advocate for less is more, stuff dries really fast and handwashing pants isn't a major chore!

One thing I will add tho - (granted you may think this is obvious) I decided to take lots of nice, lacy pants as it was a holiday and i wanted to feel luffly - actually, I should have stuck to plain cottons, because the 3 of those I did take I ended up washing constantly, a hot bum doesn't need or want lace!

Trumpton Fri 07-Jun-13 13:51:48

I take some liquid wash and every time I have a shower I wash my pants while I am showering ( prolly 3 times a day) . So would prob take 6 pairs . They dry quickly and who wants dirty knickers hanging around for 2 weeks until you get home .

ginmakesitallok Fri 07-Jun-13 13:51:08

Yes I will bring travel wash to wash them in!

Nicolaeus Fri 07-Jun-13 13:46:49

I usually take same as number of days + a few spare.

Failing that, same as number of days + panty liners so "freshness" is longer blush

Having said that, DH and I went to Greece for 2 weeks (island hopping). I decided with all the boats/planes etc. it would be easier to take one small rucksack each + one medium suitcase between us. It helped that a colleague had just come back and told me I just needed beach gear and a sunhat smile

So I can't remember how many pants I took but took 3 bikinis and mostly wore them. Only really wore underwear to go out in the evening. And I had 2 evening sundresses which I alternated.

DH always wears pants twice which I always nag him about...but in his defense he really doesn't smell so I don't have a leg to stand on really angry

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now