2 weeks in Greece, how many pants???

(38 Posts)
ginmakesitallok Fri 07-Jun-13 11:34:36

So last night started the "what else do we need for holidays?" discussion with dp. He pipes up with"I don't think I have 14 pairs of pants?.....". Now is it just me or do we only need about 8 pairs each and rinse them out? Ironic thing is that he only intends to take 3 pairs of shorts....

How much do you take for a fortnight in the sun?

BewitchedBotheredandBewildered Fri 07-Jun-13 12:46:46

I usually pack for a week and then wash easy bits myself and get a few things laundered.
envy of your holiday smile

I always take a pair a day and 2 spare unless there are washing machine/laundry facilities, DH is the same but we are both a little obsessive about clean underwear and will change them morning and evening if it is hot/sweaty.

specialsubject Fri 07-Jun-13 13:12:12

I'd go for 8 pairs and a bit of hand washing.

verygentlydoesit Fri 07-Jun-13 13:15:59

I don't like hand washing pants- but I have got a sensitive bum which only likes very gentle washing powder.....

YDdraigGoch Fri 07-Jun-13 13:17:52

you'll probably only wear a pair for a couple of hours at a time, max. You'll be in swim wear for most of every day. So they would only need a quick rinse at best - may even be possible to wear same pair for two days, given that you'd normally wear one pair all day.

Alibabaandthe40nappies Fri 07-Jun-13 13:21:47

I would take 14 pairs blush

I remember once going on a skiing holiday for 11 days, and I took 20 pairs of knickers with me - one for daytime and a clean pair to change into after post-skiing shower. My Mum was hmm and shock. Still makes me giggle. My case was sooo heavy!

ginmakesitallok Fri 07-Jun-13 13:30:40

I refuse to take 52 pairs of pants with us (14 x 4)!!! 8 or 9 pairs each Max!

Alibabaandthe40nappies Fri 07-Jun-13 13:32:03

grin true, that is a lot of pants!

Amazinggg Fri 07-Jun-13 13:35:05

'A quick rinse'? What, without bubbles, in the scorching heat you'd wear them again? <barf>

I'd take 8 and a wee bottle of hand washing liquid and wash them properly.

Pascha Fri 07-Jun-13 13:37:44

Oh goodness I would take 14 pants too blush. And they would be new.

Pascha Fri 07-Jun-13 13:38:53

Made the case heavy shock Alibaba just how big are your pants? Are they made of concrete?

ShadeofViolet Fri 07-Jun-13 13:42:37

I would take 16 - one for every day and some spares.

Nicolaeus Fri 07-Jun-13 13:46:49

I usually take same as number of days + a few spare.

Failing that, same as number of days + panty liners so "freshness" is longer blush

Having said that, DH and I went to Greece for 2 weeks (island hopping). I decided with all the boats/planes etc. it would be easier to take one small rucksack each + one medium suitcase between us. It helped that a colleague had just come back and told me I just needed beach gear and a sunhat smile

So I can't remember how many pants I took but took 3 bikinis and mostly wore them. Only really wore underwear to go out in the evening. And I had 2 evening sundresses which I alternated.

DH always wears pants twice which I always nag him about...but in his defense he really doesn't smell so I don't have a leg to stand on really angry

ginmakesitallok Fri 07-Jun-13 13:51:08

Yes I will bring travel wash to wash them in!

Trumpton Fri 07-Jun-13 13:51:48

I take some liquid wash and every time I have a shower I wash my pants while I am showering ( prolly 3 times a day) . So would prob take 6 pairs . They dry quickly and who wants dirty knickers hanging around for 2 weeks until you get home .

Having just got back from 2 weeks in Turkey, I'm definitely an advocate for less is more, stuff dries really fast and handwashing pants isn't a major chore!

One thing I will add tho - (granted you may think this is obvious) I decided to take lots of nice, lacy pants as it was a holiday and i wanted to feel luffly - actually, I should have stuck to plain cottons, because the 3 of those I did take I ended up washing constantly, a hot bum doesn't need or want lace!

verygentlydoesit Fri 07-Jun-13 13:54:12

Liquid wash causes me masses of irritation for some reason. I go to great lengths to rinse clothes well after using it, but to no avail.

Fairygen Fri 07-Jun-13 13:56:31

I always pack for half the time I'll be away, and take washing powder to hand wash.

Theas18 Fri 07-Jun-13 15:33:24

5 pairs each and bar of vanish. Baby bath liquid is also a good multi purpose wash apparently.

forevergreek Fri 07-Jun-13 15:38:35

I would take 14. 14 pairs are quite small space, even when we often travel with just a small rucksack and no case and would still take 14. They would fit in small side pocket

PasswordProtected Wed 19-Jun-13 10:36:00

Generally take 1 pair of paper knickers per day, plus a few normal pairs. Throw away the paper ones after use. They take up even less space than the normal ones, too :-)

girlywhirly Wed 19-Jun-13 11:36:21

DH is of the opinion that a holiday shouldn't include domestic tasks like laundry, but with airline weight restrictions tightening I persuaded him that a weeks worth of pants for each of us and a small tube of travel wash was the way to go for a fortnights hol. His pants are cotton jersey boxer style, so not tiny briefs! If you are sensitive to detergents, a small bar of a hypoallergenic soap works just as well.

I also use panty liners to extend the wearing time of my pants, so that if I put clean ones on after the evening shower before dinner, I can wear them again the next evening (if wearing swim togs during the day.)

We also take 7 tops for evenings that we wear twice over the fortnight, with different trousers/shorts/accessories so that they look like different outfits.

Hersetta Thu 20-Jun-13 14:36:24

7 or 8 each for us. We only wear them at night so one night i wear a pair with a pany liner, the next night I rip it out and wear them again. I wash DH's with travel wash.

Fluffy1234 Thu 20-Jun-13 19:50:52

I normally take about 10 pairs and always just wear just my fave 3 pairs and wash them out each evening. Don't know why I pack so many, I'm the same with hair scrunchies as well.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now