Does everyone wear those strange DVT socks when flying these days?

(19 Posts)
ChewingOnLifesGristle Tue 04-Jun-13 16:09:15

It's been years and years since I flew anywhereblush Certainly pre all the info that's out there about DVT and flying.

Flying this summer. Should I be getting a pair of those horrible looking special socks or will I look like a loon?confused

susiedaisy Tue 04-Jun-13 16:12:23

I wear them lots of people do but not everyone, I forgot to wear them on a flight back from America the other year and my feet were so swollen they throbbed for about 2 days so they do work!

ChewingOnLifesGristle Tue 04-Jun-13 16:14:49

Ah interesting, thanks susie. Are they uncomfortably tight and hot to wear?

EleanorFarjeon Tue 04-Jun-13 16:15:00

No, but maybe I should. I get fat feet long haul.

ChewingOnLifesGristle Tue 04-Jun-13 16:18:12

I've seen some leegings as opposed to socks. I think I might get some. Socks'll be too hot in the summer I think.

ChewingOnLifesGristle Tue 04-Jun-13 16:18:33

'leggings' that should say.

girlywhirly Tue 04-Jun-13 16:31:11

I don't, but then I've never done long haul. I am routinely taking low dose aspirin anyway, which alters blood clotting. You could also do the exercises in your seat that are recommended.

ChewingOnLifesGristle Tue 04-Jun-13 17:56:52

Its not long haul but wondered if I should wear the socks anyway. I was wondering about aspirin too actually. Will check out exercises.

Gawd I've turned into my mother; she's always looking for something health orientated to worry about.

inmyheadimthequeen Tue 04-Jun-13 18:16:58

I laughed out loud when my DH suggested them for our long-haul trip last month but he talked me round, not least of all because we are both -well mainly me if I'm honest a big bit overweight. Have to say my legs felt very comfortable and not at all tired after 2 flights back-to-back, 14 hours in total. Bought them from Amazon, don't know how to link but they were called Fytto style (although not very stylish ha ha)Hope this helps. http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B005Z5WDT6/ref=oh_details_o04_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

specialsubject Tue 04-Jun-13 19:44:03

no, not unless it is on medical advice. Book an aisle seat and get up at least every two hours, do the recommended exercises once an hour.

IwishIwasmoreorganised Tue 04-Jun-13 19:46:02

I did when I flew long haul at 26 weeks pg.

I also drank plenty and got up to walk every hour (when I wasn't asleep).

Haven't flown long haul since having dc, and we don't worry on short flights (most we ever do is 2 1/2 hours).

Hulababy Tue 04-Jun-13 19:54:39

I never wear them on a long haul flight. Did once, years ago, but just ended up far too warm. I prefer to travel in flipflops or sandals which I can kick off.
I get up and have a wander anyway, move my feet and ankles about. drink water, etc.
Never had them for short haul at all.

cocolepew Tue 04-Jun-13 20:11:26

I have for long haul, but I've had a clot before so didnt want to temp fate.

noramum Tue 04-Jun-13 20:17:23

DH wears them on long haul flights but not short haul. I didn't when going to New York and had quite swollen feet.

They are not attractive but that's not the point.

girlywhirly Wed 05-Jun-13 11:35:26

Chewing, the low dose aspirins are 75 milligrams. They are enteric coated so only dissolve in the gut rather than the stomach, to protect against irritation of the stomach lining. If you prefer a soluble, take Aspro Clear which dissolve properly in water, rather than others which just break down to particles in suspension, again less likely to irritate. A quarter of an Aspro will be 75mg.

Moominsarehippos Wed 05-Jun-13 11:43:58

I haven't done long haul for a while now, but yes, I would wear them. I had a DVT after spending the best part of two days bent like a pretzel in cattle class on BA. It is no joke!

I drink loads of tomato juice (someone said it was good for something or other...) no booze though, so that I keep needing to get up to use the loos, and wander about.

MOSagain Fri 07-Jun-13 18:47:49

I've had a DVT previously but I don't wear them. Just make sure get up and walk around regularly. Flew back from south America 2 weeks ago, 24 hours travelling and wouldn't have thought of wearing them.

BiddyPop Wed 12-Jun-13 12:06:21

DH wears them going to SA regularly - he puts them on in Heathrow (or Paris) after the shorthaul to get there.

I use them for anything over 2 hours flight time. I have a old pair which are quite tight and restrictive (DH's are newer and lots easier to wear).

I have also found though, that when I forgot to bring them, or seeing others occasionally using them (even men), that the SUPPORTIVE knee high's (tights/stockings) from M&S work fine as an alternative, especially if not terribly long haul.

I usually do a lot of walking though as well, drink plenty of water, and do foot exercises in the seat as well. DH is not so great for walking, but does the water and seat exercises too.

Bertrude Sat 15-Jun-13 13:26:19

I do. Always go long haul though (usually back to UK from middle east) and I'm past not wanting to look stupid on flights. I usually look awesome with them on with my flip flops.

Don't find them uncomfy, not compared to a couple of days of swollen ankles upon arrival.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now