Talking myself out of sharm el sheik in October and my reasons are ridiculous.

(32 Posts)
Crutchlow35 Sun 26-May-13 17:04:42

We want a good weather holiday for the October holidays so 12th for 2 weeks. Our preference is Tenerife but we want good weather and I know we can't get that guaranteed in October so are looking and almost booking sharm. 31 degrees and thomsons kids club for DS. Reviews are good however, we need inoculations, food positioning and the shits all put me off.

I don't want to spend £2600 to have 2 weeks with my arse or head in the toilet. Worse still I don't want ds to be ill. I want him to have a brilliant time.

So tell me I am being stupid and give me your good stories about sharm or recommend somewhere with fabulous weather and kids club for ds. I know lots frown on kids club but our family is the three of us. We have very little help babysitting wise so DH and I need a few hours to reacquaint ourselves also! DS is 5.

theoriginalandbestrookie Sun 02-Jun-13 21:34:18

This will be our forth year in a row going to Tenerife for the second week in October. We have had decent weather the three times we have been and fingers crossed will have again.

It's a great place for a 5 year old, the flight isn't too long and although we stay in a different place our friends stayed at the First Choice AI last year and booked again for this year as they found it so good.

Egypt is a dump. Vile people, vile place, gross gross gross.

BUT, we stayed in the Royal Savoy hotel. Didnt leave it. Spent our days snorkeling, floating on a lilo, and eating. It was amazing, 40 degs from 7am-7pm, we didnt see a single cloud. I cant think of anywhere else that you can get the weather.

Still wouldnt go back though. Sharm airport was enough to scar me for life <shudder>

Lucyhanco Sun 02-Jun-13 20:14:16

£120 per night for 2 bedroom villa

TheRealFellatio Sun 02-Jun-13 04:00:33

Lucy you mean 1200 surely, not 120 quid? shock

thenightsky Sat 01-Jun-13 23:51:06

I've been going to Egypt for years and never had innoculations. Didn't know you had to. Got brief upset tummy the first time, but never since.

Lucyhanco Sat 01-Jun-13 23:08:56

GO!!
Go but just choose your hotel wisely to avoid tummy troubles. If you are looking for guaranteed sunshine in October then this is the closest place to the UK with fantastic sun in the 30's. If you are looking for culture, Michelin star dining etc then this is not the place to go, however if you are looking for a cheap and I mean cheap holiday with hot sun and good standard of hotel then Sharm is your place. Have tried several European resorts in October and weather is hit and miss. For example one year Cyprus was great and the following year it rained nearly every day. Egypt does not have this problem.
When choosing a hotel look at Trip Advisor and then dependent on your budget choose hotel accordingly. We usually stay at Sultan Gardens and pay around £120 for a family room with 2 bedrooms all inclusive. Stayed 4 times now and never a stomach problem, staff really friendly and helpful. Would love to stay at the Four Seasons however this isn't our main holiday just sun break in Easter and October/

saintmerryweather Sat 01-Jun-13 17:06:53

i went to tenerife in early october and the weather was gorgeous, between 25 and 30 every day

Lighthousekeeping Sat 01-Jun-13 17:05:36

My friend took her six year old to Cape Verde came back and immediately booked again. Said it was the best holiday ever.

acceptableinthe80s Sat 01-Jun-13 16:58:23

I took ds (3 at the time) to Fuerteventura in October. Weather was great, bit cooler/overcast some mornings but sunny by mid morning. We also got a 4 day heatwave where temperatures reached 40c but average is 25c at that time of year. We stayed in a resort called caleta which had lovely beaches (not the main one, it's rocky) but the ones near the big shopping centre/cinema were really lovely. Lots of nice restaurants and play parks dotted all over the place. There are also outdoor trampolines in the town centre which ds used to bounce on for half an hour every night after dinner, he would consequently crash out as soon as we got in and slept brilliantly.
We stayed in a house but there were lots of very nice hotels.

Bunbaker Sat 01-Jun-13 16:34:03

What about Cape Verde?

Coconutty Thu 30-May-13 22:40:07

We didn't have any jabs for Sharm. The sea is amazing, the hotel was one of the best I've been to but outside of the hotel was dreadful. Excursions overland were cancelled when we were there due to riots.

I am currently looking at the canaries. Cyprus can be rainy in October - usually lovely but not guaranteed.

Crutchlow35 Mon 27-May-13 18:44:04

we have decided against it. looks like feurtuventura or visiting family in thailand.

conorsrockers Mon 27-May-13 06:13:15

You will have to have jabs (assuming you haven't had any recently).
We went last year. Family of 5. None of us were ill at all.
11 days, by the pool. Loved it. Thomson kids club were excellent!
Did 3 excursions. Bedouin trip was the best.
Food isn't great whatever hotel you go to, but it's edible.
We did go 'off campus' quite alot. Just make sure your little one doesn't touch anything offered to him and be firm. They will go away. Eventually!!!!
We really had a great family holiday, with lots of time together. I'd highly recommend it. Enjoy grin.

thylarctosplummetus Mon 27-May-13 06:07:07

I've heard Sharm being described as a concrete block in a sandpit

More like a concrete block in a cat litter tray.

Maybe my trip to Sharm was coloured by the fact that both me and DH had food poisoning, felt trapped in the hotel complex surrounded by a wasteland of rubbish and decaying animals, felt like I nearly died in several road accidents, and found out that the conference complex next to our hotel was bombed two weeks after we left.

I would never go there again, and I would certainly not take any children there willingly.

TheRealFellatio Mon 27-May-13 06:02:29

To be honest, apart from the weather and the diving there is little to recommend Sharm imho, and if your main reservation is that you don't want to get ill, then I'd say AVOID. Of course not everyone is ill, but all of Egypt is absolutely notorious for it - the chances are much higher there than just about anywhere else you are likely to go. Why risk it?

I had some sort of amoebic dysentery type thing and it was AWFUL.

Awakeagain Mon 27-May-13 05:52:43

Me and dh have both had 'Pharos revenge' when we've been to sharm twice
Just get yourself to the chemist out there as Imodium doesn't touch the sides
We have done AI and b&b when we went out just to dive
Had lovely food in Nama bay

TheRealFellatio Mon 27-May-13 05:23:04

But February is a notoriously tricky month everywhere - even where I live in the middle east. October is pretty cast iron in places that are winter sun destinations. Tenerife will be fine!

Flossbert Sun 26-May-13 19:09:06

We went to the jaz mirabel in 2008, pre DC. I took plenty of flora-stimulating tablets for about 2 weeks before we went and did not suffer although DH and our two friends did.

We had a wonderful time (shits notwithstanding) and I would do it again when the DC are a little older.

VivaLeBeaver Sun 26-May-13 19:02:22

Looks like the hep a vaccine is a new thing due to increased cases. Didn't need it when I went. I love Tenerife and would go back like a shot even if it was cooler. The locals said I was very unlucky when we went, and I had friends who were here the week before so had great weather. Weather was also much better the week after we were there.

I thought Sharm was a total dump.

Sidge Sun 26-May-13 18:42:46

Hepatitis A vaccine is recommended for Egypt, even for children.

I went to Sharm last April - I thought it was a hole but if you are planning on spending two weeks in a hotel and not do much else then you might be OK, if a little bored.

Crutchlow35 Sun 26-May-13 18:28:27

Cloudy and drizzly we don't want that. Had that on our last holiday to Tenerife in February 2012.

VivaLeBeaver Sun 26-May-13 18:14:54

I'm sure you don't need inoculations. We didn't have any and looked into it.

Dd got the shits and so did I. It was bad, came on suddenly. Dd ran from the pool to our room with shit running down her legs the whole way. Every family I spoke to at least one person had it. Didn't seem to last long though.....you can buy special shits antibiotics from the local chemists for about £1 which seem to work well. It was 40degrees when we went in Oct.

I preferred Tenerife though. Personally I thought there was more to do in Tenerife but if its a pool and sunlounger holiday you want then go to Sharm. I've been to Tenerife in oct and it was cloudy and drizzling most of the week, too cool to be sat around by the pool. Still had a fab holiday.

suburbophobe Sun 26-May-13 18:02:45

I've heard Sharm being described as a concrete block in a sandpit smile but some of the best diving in the world is there. You could do that (or snorkel) while DS is in the kids club.

You could also look into some of the islands like Malta or Cyprus, I'm sure the weather is guaranteed then.

Meant to say we've never had inoculations for Egypt.

specialsubject Sun 26-May-13 17:47:47

northern Greece may not be fine in October - you take your chances. Go further south.

what's wrong with kids club? Your child gets to have fun with other children! The umbilical cord was cut at birth and it is actually OK to have some time apart. :-)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now