Hotels with an infant .

(20 Posts)
Judez99 Mon 10-Jun-13 23:36:07

We stayed in a b&b when DS was 8 or 9 months. I just washed the bottles in hot water (and washing up liquid) in the sink.

Portofino Fri 24-May-13 10:05:18

I used to take a tupperware container and sterilising tablets.

domesticslattern Thu 23-May-13 22:50:55

I stopped sterilising at 6 months.
That's easy isn't it!

zzzzz Thu 23-May-13 22:45:37

I agree. By 8 months sterilising is a bit like shutting the gate after the horse has bolted. I take detox wipes for strange high hairs though!

AnythingNotEverything Thu 23-May-13 22:43:33

Sounds like the solution to me!

mymatemax Thu 23-May-13 22:43:06

you can but microwave sterilizing bags (well you could 10 yrs ago) just ask the hotel to microwave them for you.

Or at 8 months I think id just boil a big kettle of water & soak them in boiling water in the bathroom sink.

elQuintoConyo Thu 23-May-13 22:38:26

You don't really need to sterilise after six months. I quote an mner on a previous thread: once i caught 5mo dd licking the cat, that was the end of sterilising.

Once our DS was crawling, everything and anything went in his mouth - first a sniff, then a lick, then us moving at a speed to make Usain Bolt look like a sloth!

AnythingNotEverything Thu 23-May-13 22:36:47

How long do you have to sterilise for? I remember my ds crawled at 8 months and from then on it just felt like a losing battle!

RunningOutOfIdeas Thu 23-May-13 22:31:43

Get a bottle of Milton liquid and some zip lock bags - the largest ones you can find. Before you go, work out how much water you can put in the bag and then use the instructions on the Milton to work out how much you will need to add. And there you have your totally portable steriliser.

UK hotel tap water will be fine to use for cleaning and sterilising bottles. Once boiled, it will be fine for preparing formula.

ALittleBitOfMagic Thu 23-May-13 22:11:58

It's a microwave steriliser . The most un-portable kind there is !

thedicewoman Thu 23-May-13 22:07:57

just take Milton tabs and a big Tupperware tub

salcz Thu 23-May-13 22:01:32

I just take our steam steriliser with me. Wash the bottles in the bathroom sink. Most rooms have kettles. If you're worried about the tap water in the room, fill old bottles with your home tap water to boil.

oranges Thu 23-May-13 21:38:03

what steriliser do you have? cant you take it with you?

matilda101 Thu 23-May-13 21:35:36

I cold water sterilised things in a big tuppaware box and put a smaller lid over everything to make sure it was all under water.

nextphase Thu 23-May-13 21:32:52

I've never used bottles, but can't you just get a washing up bowl, and something to weight the bottles down, and add the appropriate amount of milton tablets or solution? Why do you need to buy a container for cold water sterilising? Can someone in the know pick fault with that?

Might freecycle come up trumps if you put a wanted ad in?

ALittleBitOfMagic Thu 23-May-13 21:21:39

Sorry I should have said in my op next don't want to have to buy a new steriliser as I will only be using one for another few months . Also Lemon I thought about that too we are going for 5 days so that will work out very expensive .

LemonBreeland Thu 23-May-13 21:18:25

You can buy ready sterilised bottles and use cartons of formula. Expensive but simple.

juneybean Thu 23-May-13 21:17:45

Some hotels have bottle warmers if that's any use?! (I noticed a couple utilising one a few months ago)

nextphase Thu 23-May-13 21:16:17

Cold water steriliser, and a bucket to put it in?
You should have a kettle for the formula?

ALittleBitOfMagic Thu 23-May-13 20:55:44

Booked up a short uk break and ds will be 8mo when we go . I've just realised I have no idea how I am going to sterilise and make up bottles in a hotel !?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now