Insurance

(9 Posts)
DaveDeeDozyBeakyMickAndTitch Wed 22-May-13 12:02:56

We've just booked our honeymoon - really expensive trip, so want to make sure it's properly insured. Who do MN-ers recommend? It's long haul, and not happening till November. We do have insurance with our bank account, but I'm always scared that its rubbish, and as this is a bit more "special" than a weekend in Paris or something, I want to make sure we're really protected.

Thanks.

specialsubject Wed 22-May-13 18:32:35

you do it now, whatever you do - you are not protected until you get insurance. If (perish the thought) you have to cancel now you'd lose some money, maybe a lot.

do an internet search, lots of companies out there and no one is better than any other.

remember that you must declare any pre-existing conditions, that being drunk invalidates travel insurance and that scooters/quad bikes also often do.

enjoy the trip - hopefully you will have no need of the insurance.

Merlotmonster Sun 26-May-13 20:28:32

you need to get a copy of the policy and read what is covered/excluded...be a shame to pay twice if you already have the cover...

goodgrief54 Wed 29-May-13 21:31:45

Hi. If you type 'which travel insurance' in google it gives you the which? guide, which is what i have used to compare the best cover. I dont want to skimpt on cover after spending a fortune on a holiday.

34DD Wed 29-May-13 22:01:42

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

5Foot5 Thu 30-May-13 22:07:33

I was just about to start a thread asking a very similar question.

We have booked our summer holiday and I want to take out some cover. I did a search on moneysupermarket.com and there appeared to be a bewildering range that varies enormously in price. I selected a few that seemed to have the amount of cover we wanted but in every case when I googled for reviews I found bad accounts - and I hadn't selected the absolute cheapest either!

So as the OP said - can anyone recommend any specific companies?

The impression I have got so far is that they all seem to say they offer the right things but will weasel out of paying if you try to make a claim.

jkklpu Thu 30-May-13 22:11:46

Some don't cover you for accidents that happen when you're drunk. And those that cover things like motorbike riding probably won't if you don't wear a helmet - tourists die because they don't wear helmets in Thailand and elsewhere quite often. SO, as others say, you need to think through everything that you'll be doing and make sure you include it in your policy.

specialsubject Thu 30-May-13 22:29:39

other things that aren't covered; unattended valuables, things not in hotel safes, expensive phones etc etc.

I'd recommend Direct Travel - didn't actually have a claim but when I thought I would and let them know, they were most helpful.

PaperLantern Thu 30-May-13 22:33:01

blush I've had good experiences with Tesco travel insurance cover.

very clear what you are covered for and not and ok to deal with when I had a (admittedly quite small) claim

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now