£500 budget...where shall we go in the summer? Please help me find a lovely week away. 2 adults and 2 DC

(18 Posts)
Pouncer1 Fri 24-May-13 20:35:06

Thank you all for your replies...very grateful! I am looking and pricing things up here smile

LadyIsabellaWrotham Fri 24-May-13 07:53:35

...oh, and you can use Tesco Reward points for Ironbridge tickets.

LadyIsabellaWrotham Fri 24-May-13 07:52:16

If you're willing to drive anywhere in the UK then a last minute discounted cottage may be your best option, but obviously that's a gamble. Snowdonia or Pembrokeshire are lovely, but a push for your budget.

We stayed in a gorgeous tiny cottage in Shropshire one August for 400 quid, plus 65 quid for tickets for Ironbridge all week. Well worth considering, Shropshire v reasonably priced and easy to get to.

JollyOrangeGiant Fri 24-May-13 07:45:21

http://www.cottages4you.co.uk/

Go on there and search for a cottage that is big enough for 2 adults and 2 children within your budget.

I did this for our holiday this year. As we were happy to go anywhere in the UK it was quite good fun smile We also wanted somewhere with a pool which narrowed the options a little!

I agree Aviemore is wonderful but you might find it too expensive. The Scottish schools go back around the 20th of August so it may be slightly cheaper after that.

RollingThunder Fri 24-May-13 07:39:40

We usually manage a week in a cottage in Norfolk for that money - worth either booking early or getting a last minute deal - there are lots of lovely beaches - seaside villages etc - only issue is the english weather (which is why I have a thread about how to book abroad this year)

Crutchlow35 Wed 22-May-13 19:34:38

Slightly further north than central Scotland for Aviemore but tonnes of stuff to do.

Pouncer1 Wed 22-May-13 19:24:07

Aviemore is in mid Scotland? 2 adults and 2 DC...would love to go there.

seb1 Wed 22-May-13 18:34:53

How many is it for?

seb1 Wed 22-May-13 18:32:40

What about the Aviemore area, loads to do?

Fluffy1234 Wed 22-May-13 18:22:32

Would your DD like a hotel. I sometimes find in England it can work out better value to stay in a hotel on a dinner, bed and breakfast than self cater. Perhaps you could find a one near some good day out places. We did a nice mini break to a double tree Hilton hotel and visited Chatsworth house and the Magna science centre. I don't think £500 would stretch to a week away but you could probably get a good few nights.
If not a find Wales and Norfolk can be good value areas compared to a lot of other places.

Pouncer1 Wed 22-May-13 15:08:54

Petrol money will be an extra...but I think paying for euro tunnel etc is really going to bump that up. I have been to Scotland several times and I would love to go back, DH is leaning more towards Ireland though! I will take a look at the websites recommended and see I can find anything within budget. Thanks you.

JaxTellerIsAllMine Wed 22-May-13 11:48:38

was thinking last minute deals porto, and not including travel costs.

Do your travel expenses need to be included in the £500? If so a nice cabin in Scotland wouldnt even be doable peak time.

Portofino Wed 22-May-13 11:31:42

£500 will not get you a villa with pool in France. Week commencing 20th July - ferry would cost a £110. There are lots of little houses under 400 euros for a week in Normandy/Nord Pas de Calais.

newgirl Wed 22-May-13 11:09:18

Have a good look on owners direct for self catering cottage and head to Suffolk, Devon or Norfolk? Car would be handy though to go to beach etc

JaxTellerIsAllMine Wed 22-May-13 11:08:57

You could get a log cabin in Scotland, Wales, Ireland. Or a villa with pool in France.

Pouncer1 Wed 22-May-13 11:07:36

Yes! Should have added that in! I am not allowed term times holidays...grrr

Portofino Wed 22-May-13 11:03:46

Do you have to go within the school holidays?

Pouncer1 Wed 22-May-13 10:50:36

As above really...I have a budget of £500 to book anywhere! Spending money will be on top of this budget. Any ideas? Caravan and camping are no good for us as we have a DD with ASD and she hates it with a vengeance! Lol. We are in the UK and willing to travel anywhere within the UK or even Abroad...but I don't think our budget will stretch that far. Thank you

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now