Greece, Croatia, Sardinia or algarve for 7 year old

(15 Posts)
Katiebristol4 Tue 21-May-13 22:10:14

Hello, my partner is athletic and not one to sit on a beach for 2 weeks. I like pretty walks and my son wants to play on the beach. Where would rival Mauritius but have good weather, nice hotels and awesome beach? Anyone been to Sardinia or Greece? I here weather is the Caribbean is not ideal and Asia maybe too far for 7 year old. help.

Fluffy1234 Wed 22-May-13 13:48:12

I think you need to narrow it down to which continent you want to go to.

Katiebristol4 Wed 22-May-13 16:53:36

I am open to suggestions but Sardinia or Greece

sunandstars Wed 22-May-13 19:51:13

Sardinia has the best beaches in Europe imo. Perfect white sand where we visit ( have local Sardinian friends).
The interior has mountains and there are roman and ancient (nuraghe) sites to visit. The hotels are expensive particularly at the Costa Smeralda.
Neighbouring island of Corsica has lovely beaches as well and the mountains are quicker access as it is a smaller island than Sardinia.

Only been to Greece once and then a small island and self catering.Beaches not as beautiful where we were,although the sea was,but good walking. 'Greece' encompases many different types of holiday depending on where you go as there is the mainland and all the islands.

Didn't like the Algarve at all,although liked inland Portugal.

Croatia not sure, although my mum has been several times- I'm not sure if this is a recommendation.Dh went to Slovenia and loved it, so this is on our to visit list. Activities but less luxury and beaches further away.

Katiebristol4 Wed 22-May-13 22:33:39

Thank you kindly will send for prices for both Sardinia and Corsica

Bunbaker Thu 23-May-13 08:47:52

I loved Croatia. Loads of beautiful scenery, very clean sea, great for walking. The only "but" is that there aren't many sandy beaches, but we aren't bothered about sandy beaches anyway. We loved Croatia so much that we are going there again on Saturday, but somewhere different.

Another reason we liked Croatia is that the vast majority of Brits haven't rediscovered it yet, so there is a good mix of Europeans who holiday there. It doesn't appeal to the "Blackpool with sunshine" crowd either and as far as I know they aren't big on all inclusive holidays. Their main holiday season doesn't start until mid June, but the good weather starts before then so we can do the spring bank holiday week there without the crowds.

Katiebristol4 Thu 23-May-13 09:09:54

Thank you that sounds perfect,which part is good for an7 year old?

cathers Thu 23-May-13 13:26:05

Been to both. I found that generally Croatia is behind Sardinia in terms of quality of accommodation.ie a Croatian 4 star place is probably only a 2/3 place in Sardinia and most of Europe. We found it more diffucult to find modern, quality lodging. Lovely place but much more 'rustic' than Sardinia. Just to bear in mind of you want luxury hotel sort of break.

Bunbaker Fri 24-May-13 07:07:21

As I have never been to Sardinia I couldn't comment, but the accommodation we stayed at in Baska Voda exceeded our expectations by a long way.

We stayed here.

The only slightly minus point ofr us was that the swimming pool was quite small, but as it wasn't busy it wasn't a problem.

Bunbaker Fri 24-May-13 07:08:16

And we are going here, which doesn't exactly look rustic to me.

fufflebum Fri 24-May-13 07:14:04

We visited Slovenia with 2 and 5 year old, lovely lakes, mountains and seaside all in two hour drive.

Hidden gem in my opinion.

Dilidali Fri 24-May-13 07:21:36

Depends when you are going. We have relatives in southern Italy and my DD is used to it, but I would never take her in august, she would struggle big time with the heat. Same goes for Greece. If you are thinking June, end of september/october, that would 't be too bad.
Croatia sounds good for Augustsmile

SillyBlueHat Fri 24-May-13 07:59:23

Sorry to butt in - what is Slovenia like on terms of cost compared to other European countries?

Portofino Fri 24-May-13 10:09:22

Sardinia or Corsica definitely.

fufflebum Fri 24-May-13 17:29:09

Slovenia, don't remember it being very expensive.

Very quiet, small country so can visit lakes, beaches and mountains all in one day.

Very pretty IMO and children loved it.

Not many tourists either.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now