Is this the beginnings of travel sickness?

(6 Posts)

Hi we have booked to drive to France for our summer hol,the drive

Stupid iPad!!!
Was going to say, the drive down to Portsmouth is going to take 4/5 hours then a couple of hours on the France side, but I'm getting a bit worried as when we go on any journey over half an hour ds who is 4 gets really bad tummy ache, he says he doesn't feel sick but cries and cries with the pain?
Any idea what it is? Could it be travel sickness and I wonder if the medicine you can get would help?
Any advice please? Thanks

loopsngeorge Tue 21-May-13 22:53:31

My DD is 4 and also talks about her tummy hurting in the car. She has never actually been sick but goes pale etc. so I'm sure this is travel sickness. I got some travel sickness tablets from Boots for holidays - definitely worth trying. In the US we used to use Dramamine for our son but they use a different drug here. The pharmacist said Dramamine is a very good one to use though so if you see it I would give it a try!

mrsfollowill Tue 21-May-13 23:07:23

My DS started with travel sickness at around 3/4 - pale, clammy and stomach ache but eventually spectacular vomiting! I suffered horribly as a child (so did DH) but grew out of it by age 12/13. ' Joyrides' are your friend- easy to chew travel sickness tablets (don't give him 'Qwells'- they make you terribly thirsty).
If you don't like 'drugs' peppermints help a bit and some people swear by special wristbands
Have a great holiday but make sure he takes something- I have awful memories from that age dreading getting in the car.

easylife73 Tue 21-May-13 23:08:43

Might not be travel sickness, it could be childhood migraine, which bizarrely doesn't involve a headache at all. My son used to get tummy ache and go a funny shade of green, but strangely could read, watch a DVD or play on his DS in the car, all things I could never have done when I was a child with travel sickness! He ended up having what looked like a stroke when he was about 7 (not whilst in the car), scared us silly and had to be investigated for epilepsy, etc BUT I believe it was childhood migraine all along. To the best of my knowledge it will cause no lasting damage, but symptoms can look like travel sickness. Try seeing if watching a DVD etc helps, as both my boys travel better when looking at a screen of some sort. (Aside from anything else, in-car DVDs are, in my opinion, a life-saver on ling journeys to France...we've riven as far as Spain with no sickness from either of them so far...)

Thanks for your help, it does sound like sickness I'll get some medicine or chews from the chemist
I do suffer from migraines but never did a a child, I'll have a read up on those too, thanks

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now