how to spend airmiles

(11 Posts)
helloitsme Sun 19-May-13 14:16:53

my husband has accumulated quite a lots of miles with BA and KLM, and we need to spend them. I was thinking about flying with the BA miles and then paying for a hotel with the KLM ones. But I'm a bit clueless about where to go and the last thing I want is a concrete jungle experience. I have had thoughts as diverse as Greece, Italy and the Lake District. We have a three year old daughter and I am pregnant, so want a relaxing holiday, and also want to keep the actual cash spent to quite little. Any advice/tips?

Numberlock Sun 19-May-13 19:55:07

Convert them to Avios then you can spend them all in the same website.

helloitsme Sun 19-May-13 20:12:50

hmm. this shows i am clueless. thought the ba miles were already avios...can i convert the klm ones? i will look into it, thanks for the hint....

PoppyWearer Sun 19-May-13 20:14:36

It depends if you have specific dates in mind, you may have to see what's available/left.

We had a lovely holiday when I was pregnant where we flew BA to Milan and drove to the Italian Lakes, and even squeezed in a day in Venice.

The Italians were lovely to me when pregnant.

I would start exploring the BA website and see what you get for your miles. Bear in mind you still have to pay tax.

Generally it's better to use air miles for flights rather than hotels, you get more that way.

Numberlock Sun 19-May-13 20:17:11

Sorry I'm an idiot. You can't convert the KLM miles to Avios.

So best to use the KLM miles for the flights and the Avios for the hotel

helloitsme Sun 19-May-13 20:18:05

that's very helpful, thank you :-) and dh would love to see venice! I have heard before that italy is great to be pregnant in :-) I'm pretty sure we could get to venice for our miles... any tips on cheap hotels???

helloitsme Sun 19-May-13 20:22:37

thanks numberlock, makes it clearer....

Numberlock Sun 19-May-13 20:24:25

I'm posting on another thread about peri-menopausal confusion so you'll have to excuse me lol.

Have a lovely time. I also accrue lots of miles and use them to take each if my sons away individually once a year.

Numberlock Sun 19-May-13 20:27:54

Try searching on the Avios site for hotel suggestions, based on the number of miles you have. I've got some great 5* hotels for next to nothing in the past.

PoppyWearer Sun 19-May-13 20:28:53

Not cheap hotels, sorry! DH likes to use the money we save on the flights to stay in hotels he's read about <rolls eyes>.

Numberlock Sun 19-May-13 20:41:14

Maybe not cheap if you're paying full price but with Avios points you can get some bargains.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now