Food for long journeys on planes?

(9 Posts)
chicaguapa Sun 19-May-13 08:34:19

We're flying to Mallorca next weekend with DC (11 & 8) but flying via Madrid because it was cheaper so the travelling time is 5.5 hrs. We have a short connection at Madrid so no time to have anything to eat there.

So I need to take some food supplies with me. Space isn't an issue because we all have a hand luggage allowance, but I don't think we'll get a cool box through security with icepacks. So I'm trying to think of substantial food that doesn't need to be kept cool as it'll be over 12 hours door-to-door.

We land at 8.30pm on a Sunday and won't get to the apartment until after 10pm. So they need to be sustained through to the next morning too as we won't be able to get any supplies in until the shops open in the morning.

Any ideas please? Thanks.

Don't take liquid with you! I had to transit via Madrid last week and had my duty free confiscated as Casablanca duty free isn't an approved eu airport.

I usually take a sandwich fruit and chocolate or crisps. Not healthy but works. I would head out for breakfast when u arrive.

specialsubject Sun 19-May-13 15:02:27

don't quite understand - 12 hours door to door but less than half of that in flight, and only 90 mins from plane to apartment?

no food on the plane? (or budget airline and too expensive?)

We usually buy a Boots meal deal once we've gone through security (except I am super fussy and don't actually like them much). In addition, you could pack some little bags of fruit and nuts and some cereal bars in your hand luggage, and perhaps a few little boxes of cereals in your suitcase to eat when they wake up then go out for breakfast.

chicaguapa Sun 19-May-13 16:45:26

Thanks everyone. I've figured we can get lunch at the airport too, which will help. So we're going to have a Wagamama before we go. It'll be easy to get by on fruit, crackers, etc then.

12 hours door to door seems ridiculous, doesn't it, but it's all the faffing around at airports, parking etc. Leave the house at 10.00, arrive LHR 11.30, take off 14.00, arrive PMI 20.30 (local time), arrive apartment after 10pm.

I've looked at the Iberia on board food menu and I don't think we can rely on DC to eat any of their sandwiches because the cheese is bound to taste different or something frustrating hmm. So I need a plan B.

Will take some croissants in the hold luggage for a quick snack before bed if they're hungry too.

NarkyNamechanger Sun 19-May-13 16:50:08

Wow that sounds worse than us travelling with toddlers. They won't eat pre packed sandwiches?

trixymalixy Sun 19-May-13 16:50:18

Peperamis don't need to be refrigerated. We always take them on the aeroplane for DS as he has multiple food allergies and there is never anything he can eat onboard and they travel well.

chicaguapa Sun 19-May-13 17:09:44

I know from experience that Spanish sandwiches use different bread and different cheese. It's not a big deal, just really didn't want to be in a situation where they're tired, hungry and don't like the food on the plane.

I was just trying to make sure we have a fool proof way to keep them fed and would like to avoid spending €6 on a sandwich they don't want to eat and have nothing else to offer them.

And because I like a quiet life and am likely to be tired and hungry myself. grin

Pepparami is a good idea, and the Chedds toasts might work too. Thanks.

I bought an Iberia sandwich last week and it was pretty vile - the jamon was ok, but the bread was sweet and nasty. It wasn't cheap either.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now