Travelling as a family of four...so expensive..or maybe I'm just shit poor.

(33 Posts)
GoodtoBetter Sat 11-May-13 16:33:45

We live in one of the bits of the eurozone that is in deep shite economically. I earn a pittance teaching English and DH is unemployed. We rent cheaply and have a bit in the bank, but not enough to buy anywhere. We do OK, we live cheaply. My DB lives in Dublin and I've been looking into flights/accomodation (he can't put us up) for a weekend and the absolute cheapest I can find when I have holidays is around 1000 euros before we even eat. I can't believe it. I think maybe I'm just seriously out of the loop these days, but OMFG!!

GoodtoBetter Wed 15-May-13 22:32:57

aerlingus does malaga dubli in the first week of september for 535 eur. The times aren't too bad. We'd have to leave home at 7am latest to get the 1210-1430 flight out and then we'd arrive back at 2030 and not get home till around 11pm, so a long day and of course we'd have to add parking at malaga. Would mean we could do self catering apartment that MissPB linked to for about 700-800 euros before food. Certainly food for thought. Thanks everyone.

SoldeInvierno Wed 15-May-13 20:42:28

If you are in Sevilla or Murcia, have you thought about driving to Malaga and then flying? it might be cheaper from a more popular airport

Fluffy1234 Wed 15-May-13 20:41:08

I know it doesn't help you for the trip you may be planning this summer but the earlier you book with the low cost airlines the cheaper the flights. So perhaps something to consider if you don't go this year. I would also consider an apartment as when I was in Dublin last year I found food and drinks more expensive than the prices I am used to paying in London. Luckily we had a dinner, bed and breakfast package but pub lunches and coffees soon added up.

MissPB Wed 15-May-13 20:33:03

Trying again with a link - an apartment sleeps 4, centre of Dublin for £68 a night - min stay 3 nights Here

GoodtoBetter Wed 15-May-13 14:21:13

and ryanair only operates that route in spring and summer and doesn't fly everyday.

GoodtoBetter Wed 15-May-13 14:20:01

Without wanting to utterly out myself...we need to fly from an airport in southern spain that's not malaga, which is nearly 3 hours away. Flights from this airport to dublin only w ryanair or indirect w iberia and no cheaper. don't fancy changing planes with 5 and 2 yr old when it's only for 3 days anyway. so it's only that airport snd ryanair so think I'll just have to accept it's too expensive.sad

forevergreek Wed 15-May-13 13:04:13

Which airport are you flying from? Have you looked on skyscanner for flights? Can you go different dates?

We often fly from London to all over europe for long weekends (fri-sun), and usually only pay £400-500 ish for flights and accomadation for 4

Ladymuck Wed 15-May-13 12:39:36

Does it have to be a weekend? Mid week flights look a lot cheaper.

MissPB Wed 15-May-13 12:17:24

oops! have a look at holidaylettings.co.uk, then type in Dublin to the search engine. You can find apartments with min stay 2 or 3 nights for about £65 a night. Might be easier with children too.

GoodtoBetter Wed 15-May-13 12:06:16

MissPB the link doesn't work. Sounds interesting though, have you got the full address?

MissPB Wed 15-May-13 11:39:03

Have you looked at getting a self-catering place for the weekend?

Have a look here

GoodtoBetter Wed 15-May-13 11:33:31

Don't fancy driving from Southern Spain to Dublin for a weekend, no grin

crockydoodle Wed 15-May-13 09:29:03

Is it possible to drive? Both Irish ferries and stenaline sail Holyhead to Dublin and take tesco vouchers.

GoodtoBetter Mon 13-May-13 21:53:52

Cacamilis we are flying from a regional airport, that's why the flights aren't everyday. Other airports are over 2 hrs away and prices are no better and it's not really worth all the extra travel for 3 nights.
MistyB wouldn't fancy house swapping, no DB's mates are all young, free single flat sharers.

MistyB Mon 13-May-13 16:09:57

Or, are you somewhere people might consider going to for a holiday? House swap with a friend of your brother's?

cacamilis Mon 13-May-13 15:08:45

Hi there, have you checked out flights either from or to a more regional airport, you may find they are cheaper. For our upcoming holiday we found it cheaper to fly from Ireland to the Uk and then fly on to our holiday destination from there. We saved 600e on flights doing it this way.
Ireland is expensive, especially eating out. Have you considered selfcatering that way you could save some money.
Or would you consider staying else where in Ireland and asking your brother to join you. Check out goireland.ie I have used them before and found good offers.

GoodtoBetter Mon 13-May-13 12:15:43

I admit that it's not helped by being tied to July/August. I could sometimes do 4 days at Easter (but that's expensive anyway) or in April, when there's a big holiday here but nowhere else, but then I'm scuppered by the fact that the Dublin flights are only Tuesday, Thursday and Sat and in the April holiday I have I always have to work the Tuesday. It looks cheap but then it's all the taxes and surcharges they add on.

clam Mon 13-May-13 11:08:45

I am just staggered at just how much flights have increased over the last, say 10 years. When my friend moved to the US, I used to go over for long weekends (off-peak) for around £300. Now it's between 700-800. Hence I don't go very often nowadays.

MistyB Mon 13-May-13 10:58:00

I am having the same shock at flights, I know I have left it late but can be flexible and am really struggling to get our family of 5 from anywhere within 4 hours of us (Geneva) and anywhere in the Uk / Ireland (ok, slight exaggeration!!) but have looked at so many options and the longer I leave it, the more expensive the flights get.

GoodtoBetter Mon 13-May-13 10:53:56

The North Star comes up as 210€ for a family room for my dates, which I don't think is bad actually, it's more the cost of the flights. I mean, 704€ for 2 adults and 2 kids! Maybe it's been too long since I've flown but that just seems so so so expensive. It's also that we are poor. I only earn 1300€ a month and we live cheaply and have some savings but, I find it hard to countenance spending pretty much a month's salary on a weekend. We could have a really good week's holiday (or longer) in our home country (i.e no flights) for that money.

Picoo Mon 13-May-13 10:48:15

You're most welcome, GoodtoBetter. Sorry it may not work out for you but totally understand!

So interesting to hear about how expensive people think it is. Believe it or not certain things have come down a lot in price since the recession started, but it looks like it is still an expensive destination. Feel like sending a link to this thread to our Tourist Board or relevant government department (but would be of no use I'm sure) sad

GoodtoBetter Mon 13-May-13 10:43:18

Thanks Picoo, that's very kind of you. The North Star looks good, but I think we're just really poor and Dublin is expensive. I mean, it'd be 915EUR for a 3 night break before we eat anything (and we'd have to eat out obviously) and as Anyfucker says the cost of living is high. Just seems like a VERY expensive weekend.
Thanks all. xx

AnyFucker Mon 13-May-13 10:32:58

I travelled to Ireland last year and found it to be incredibly expensive

Travel, hotels, the cost of living whilst there

I won't be going again. I seriously don't know how people live there.

Picoo Mon 13-May-13 10:26:30

Just getting back to you on this, sorry for the delay.

I may have to eat my words on this one - it does seem that everywhere in Dublin looks expensive for a family!

However using the website www.todayfmbreaks.com it came up with a few cheaper hotel options, however most of them are on the outskirts of the city. The only city centre option seems to be the North Star Hotel. The others would necessitate using public transport.

GoodtoBetter Sat 11-May-13 19:59:46

Cheapest flights to Dublin are sat 31st to Sep 3 comes to 704 eur all in for the 4 of us.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now