Travelling as a family of four...so expensive..or maybe I'm just shit poor.

(33 Posts)
GoodtoBetter Sat 11-May-13 16:33:45

We live in one of the bits of the eurozone that is in deep shite economically. I earn a pittance teaching English and DH is unemployed. We rent cheaply and have a bit in the bank, but not enough to buy anywhere. We do OK, we live cheaply. My DB lives in Dublin and I've been looking into flights/accomodation (he can't put us up) for a weekend and the absolute cheapest I can find when I have holidays is around 1000 euros before we even eat. I can't believe it. I think maybe I'm just seriously out of the loop these days, but OMFG!!

Ladymuck Wed 15-May-13 12:39:36

Does it have to be a weekend? Mid week flights look a lot cheaper.

forevergreek Wed 15-May-13 13:04:13

Which airport are you flying from? Have you looked on skyscanner for flights? Can you go different dates?

We often fly from London to all over europe for long weekends (fri-sun), and usually only pay £400-500 ish for flights and accomadation for 4

GoodtoBetter Wed 15-May-13 14:20:01

Without wanting to utterly out myself...we need to fly from an airport in southern spain that's not malaga, which is nearly 3 hours away. Flights from this airport to dublin only w ryanair or indirect w iberia and no cheaper. don't fancy changing planes with 5 and 2 yr old when it's only for 3 days anyway. so it's only that airport snd ryanair so think I'll just have to accept it's too expensive.sad

GoodtoBetter Wed 15-May-13 14:21:13

and ryanair only operates that route in spring and summer and doesn't fly everyday.

MissPB Wed 15-May-13 20:33:03

Trying again with a link - an apartment sleeps 4, centre of Dublin for £68 a night - min stay 3 nights Here

Fluffy1234 Wed 15-May-13 20:41:08

I know it doesn't help you for the trip you may be planning this summer but the earlier you book with the low cost airlines the cheaper the flights. So perhaps something to consider if you don't go this year. I would also consider an apartment as when I was in Dublin last year I found food and drinks more expensive than the prices I am used to paying in London. Luckily we had a dinner, bed and breakfast package but pub lunches and coffees soon added up.

SoldeInvierno Wed 15-May-13 20:42:28

If you are in Sevilla or Murcia, have you thought about driving to Malaga and then flying? it might be cheaper from a more popular airport

GoodtoBetter Wed 15-May-13 22:32:57

aerlingus does malaga dubli in the first week of september for 535 eur. The times aren't too bad. We'd have to leave home at 7am latest to get the 1210-1430 flight out and then we'd arrive back at 2030 and not get home till around 11pm, so a long day and of course we'd have to add parking at malaga. Would mean we could do self catering apartment that MissPB linked to for about 700-800 euros before food. Certainly food for thought. Thanks everyone.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now