best all inclusive resort / or general resort you've been to?

(28 Posts)
smilesandsun Tue 07-May-13 10:50:55

Hello,

Starting with a blank page for our summer holiday. Looking for a lux all inclusive, but happy to hear of other resorts as well. Most important things are a good pool, great food and hopefully kids clubs too (6 & 9). Don't mind the distance we have to travel.

Look forward to hearing your fav places. smile

middleagedspread Sun 02-Jun-13 15:43:35

Jalousie Plantation/Sugar Beach in St Lucia. Fantastic AI, super luxury accommodation (think private villa with plunge pool), amazing food & great children's clubs. Hot & sunny in August with occasional downpour.

Lucyhanco Sat 01-Jun-13 23:45:25

If you are thinking of the Maldives the weather is pretty unpredicatable. We have been 3 times over Xmas and it meant to be their hot sunny season but had some rain. During our summer it's meant to be their rainy season however we met some people who'd also been in Aug and said that it rained for around 1-2 hours and then fantastic sunshine.

Interested in your post as we are looking for summer holiday and can;t believe the prices that the European resorts are charging and just priced Kuredu in the Maldives AI at around £11k which is cheaper than alot of Greek & Italian holidays that I've priced up.
I have also stayed at the Forte Village and not sure that the price there warrants the enjoyment of the holiday. The basic accommodation is really shabby considering that in the summer season families are paying a min of £10k HB for a 2 week holiday. The accommodation is tiered in realation to the restuarants you are allowed to eat at.It is a great destination for sporty kids especially football. Not sure I would recommend the kids club for small children as felt the staff's English very poor as they cater for mainly Italians and Russians now.

Egypt I would definitely avoid in the summer. Sharm is in the early 40's today and I only gets hotter. I made the mistake going for a summer holilday there 5 years ago and I love the heat and it was way too hot , especially for children. In fact it was so hot in the evenings that it was unbearable to sit outside and everyone was crowded in the air-con inside. Egypt is an Easter/Oct destination.

Thailand is a great holiday destination with children but again think that it is really hot during our summer.

Hersetta Tue 14-May-13 08:42:42

eek missed a digital at the pront...it was £6800, that was from 19 may for 2 weeks flying direct with BA.

Hersetta Tue 14-May-13 08:40:46

The last time we went to Lily beach it was £800 for me and DH and 3.9 year old DD. At Christmas you would be looking at closer to 11-12k (we didn't pay that by the way) we paid around 4k as we went at Christmas before they updraded the island from a rustic 4 star to luxury 5 star plus. COuld never afford to go then now. We were actually at Lily the day the 1994 boxing day tsunami hit the Indian ocean and were evacuated 3 days later....certainly didn't put as off though as we returned the following Christmas.

The Maldives are amazing, the only problem is all holidays afterwards will be a dissapointment!

Fluffy1234 Sun 12-May-13 14:32:03

I haven't been myself but heard good things about Forte Village Sardinia.
The Louis hotels in Corfu are also very good, not super luxury but make fab family holidays. What sort of budget do you have?

smilesandsun Sun 12-May-13 08:25:26

thanks for all the advice. Lily looks AMAZING and i'd love to be able to spend a christmas there, seems even more inviting when it will be so cold here smile

I really love Italy so any great hotel, resort suggestions would be most welcome.

God this makes me want to go on a really good holiday!!! I too recommend Bahia principe in Tenerife been twice and also kuradu in Maldives is a larger island with a bit more for kids

givemeaclue Fri 10-May-13 17:01:48

Hersetta do you have a rough idea of price at that time please

Hersetta Fri 10-May-13 14:59:34

We've been to Liliy twice for Xmas and 3 times in May. The temps are the same all year round (around 31 degrees with water temperature of 29 degrees) however it is a little more humid in our summer and there is increased chances of rain. I would never be put off going in the summer(you may loose an off half day to rain) but when we were there my 3 yr old DD played in the pool in the rain (much to the amusement of all the waiters. The prices are considerable cheaper from May to September to I would trade in saving a more than a couple of thousand pounds for a day or so of rain.

givemeaclue Thu 09-May-13 18:09:20

Yes I think Maldives is same climate most of year

stealthsquiggle Thu 09-May-13 15:49:50

is, not I'd

stealthsquiggle Thu 09-May-13 15:49:29

Climate in Maldives I'd pretty much the same year round.

smilesandsun Thu 09-May-13 15:36:09

thanks all. The Maldives sounds amazing, but i'm thinking now is not the best weather to go? Our winter is there good season?? I could be wrong.

Any ideas in Italy or Greece of great resorts?

stealthsquiggle Thu 09-May-13 12:45:25

Not quite as expensive as Lily Beach, but Kuramathi is gorgeous - as long as you go for highest level of AI.

givemeaclue Thu 09-May-13 12:42:55

Ooo how much are we talking about for lily beach? I like the look of it.

Hersetta Thu 09-May-13 11:15:20

Best all inclusive was Lily Beach Resort & Spa Island in the Maldives. A 70 bottle wine list to choose from, 7 different types of premium gin,plus hundreds of tother spirits, brilliant service from the waiters all over the island - they even have cool boxes along the beach which they fill with ice, beer, and soft drinks so you don't have to leave the beach to get a cold one! Hideously expensive though, but I don't regret spending a penny of it,

ripsishere Thu 09-May-13 02:25:50

Either Cape Panwa resort in Phuket or Club Med on the same Island.
Not sure of the cost, we were able to take advantage of living in Thailand and scooping up last minute deals.

Rockinhippy Wed 08-May-13 13:00:53

Dahab in South Sinai area of Egypt, beautiful safe beaches for kids - lots of good hotels to choose from, we went a few years ago, so probably best to check trip advisor reviews as it can change.

Taba Heights - again South Sinai area of Egypt, but right up in the top corner of te Gulf of Aguaba(sp) - beaches good, but a bit rockier in the water, so not so good for very small DCs

both stunning views, easy access to fantastic diving & snorkelling, history to visit,

Dahab is part of the old hippy trail, so a lovely old town, lots of character, good safe places to eat & shop & no real hassell from vendors

Taba is more a purpose built resort, so hotels are great quality & you get to "dine around" basically meaning your AI allows you to eat at any of the hotels - again check trip advisor for reviews as they can change, but we stayed in the Mariott - which had fantastic pools & rooms etc, but we found the food & service poor, but this was due to new management - & they were more interested in big tippers & not AI customers - it had been much better under the last managers & there were a lot of complaints, so it could well have new better ones by now

Fluffy1234 Wed 08-May-13 12:37:32

Yes the 7 night one on Disney Magic. My DC were 11 and 12 and absolutely loved the kids/Tweens club it was open i think all day and evening. There was also a really nice art deco style cinema showing all the new releases and family friendly shows in the theatre. My DH and I loved the adult only pool with the plush loungers and staff handing out cooling cloths throughout the day. There was also lots of things to do as a family, the fireworks at sea were amazing. We all enjoyed room service breakfast sitting on our balcony. The midnight chocolate buffet was another highlight! We did lots of sightseeing but met other families who enjoyed pottering around each port and making the most of the ships facilities.
We stayed for 4 days at a beach hotel in Coma Ruga which is a lovely Spanish seaside place to get our beach 'fix' before travelling to Barcelona.

smilesandsun Wed 08-May-13 11:46:20

hi Fluffy, the cruise sounds like an interesting option. Did you do the 7 night one? what was the kids club like?

Fluffy1234 Tue 07-May-13 19:39:37

One of my faves was Almond Smugglers Cove in St Lucia. It isn't super luxury but still really good. We had a lovely suite which worked well with the children and there were different restaurants. Our favourite was breakfast at the Waterside Grill which was on sort of stilts above the ocean. My joint best holiday, not a resort but great for families was a Disney cruise around the med. Pure luxury all the way and lots of fun too.

LulaPalooza Tue 07-May-13 16:26:30

I went on an all inc holiday to Mexico a few years back, to the Mayan peninsula. We stayed at the Sandos Caracol resort and although we were there as a couple (me and the ex... we broke up on holiday but that's another story!) at the time i remember thinking it was more of a family resort than a couples resort. They had tons of activities going on for kids, plus there are loads of fantastic organised trips to go on. It's stunning.

Lots and lots of mosquitoes though!

givemeaclue Tue 07-May-13 16:20:46

We love Neilsons. As princess says its not luxury aaccommodations and its not all inc as you pay for drinks,but fantastic holidays we would have gone again this year but wanted to go a bit further afield

FortyFacedFuckers Tue 07-May-13 16:20:35

We love the Bahia principe in Tenerife although it is pretty out of the way so if you like going out and about then I wouldn't recommend it.

princesssmartypantss Tue 07-May-13 16:12:49

have a look at neilson, good kids clubs and lots to do, might not be height of luxury but i found two of their resorts very pleasant!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now