Long flight with a one year old....

(4 Posts)
BollyGood Thu 25-Apr-13 21:56:43

Help!!!!! We are going quite far away for DH's work in the summer for four months. The flight is 13 hours and I am really worried about it. We also have an older child who is a brilliant little traveller. I have never taken a child younger than four on a flight and am not a frequent traveller myself although I love going away. When we get to our destination I will be fine as speak the language and worked there myself years ago. Its just the flight which is bothering me as baby dd is a tummy sleeper and has never settled to sleep whilst being held despite us trying. I do have a sling which she loves and I thought i could bring this if we couldn't get her to sleep or sit still. She is such a lively fidgety baby who doesn't cry but when tired is horrendous- much like anyone really!! Any tips and advice will be very welcome.grin

cathan Fri 26-Apr-13 12:02:39

I travelled with mine when they were around this age and the tricks I can think of are - take lots of little distractions, preferably some novel toys as well as older favourites to break out when you're trapped in your seats (take-off/landing/meal service etc). As often as you can, walk up and down the aisles with your little one - the change of scene will entertain. Also, before you fly see if you can book one of the "extra legroom" or "skycot" places - the extra space is invaluable (my daughter actually slept on the floor on our feet on one flight, well snuggled up in blankets). Other than these suggestions, I would advise you to try not to worry too much - you'll get through it and hopefully have a fun four months away.

BollyGood Fri 26-Apr-13 23:46:55

Thank you cathan, I could imagine dd wanting to stretch out and sleep on the floor she loves her own space! I will happily get up and walk around if it doesn't bother others, I guess a crying baby would be worse for them! I just do worry about other people and the fact that lots of people find travelling with other people's children difficult in such a confined space, especially if your children decide to be loud or grumpy. You can't help it when they get a bit tetchy can you! But I fully appreciate it isn't much fun when you want to sleep or relax, hence my panicked post!

The alternative for us was for DH to go alone but we would all miss each other.Plus it's been a few years since I have had an adventure, the last time was with dd1 when we were just us two before meeting DH and that was a very,very long time ago. Met him whilst working away and my eldest(obviously grown up) dd is actually working and studying in the country we are going to visit so it's a win win trip. There is no way we could all afford to fly out to visit her before she comes home next year so quite a coincidence we get to go this year and she misses her two little sisters terribly.

cathan Sat 27-Apr-13 07:09:19

Hope you have bearable flight and a wonderful trip!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now