Eurocamp - general advice please!

(22 Posts)
Pootles2010 Thu 25-Apr-13 14:44:45

We've booked to go to Picardy in June, staying in a Eurocamp Safari tent. Quite excited but also little aprehensive! Not been since I was a child, and we'll have ds (2) with us.

We're staying in La Croix du Vieux Pont, has anyone else been? I'm a little nervous abotu how it all works, tbh! Please come and tell me it's fab and all will be well blush

What do we need to take? Will it be really noisy at night? Will our 'neighbours' get cross with ds' tantrums? Very aware that noise travels!!

givemeaclue Thu 25-Apr-13 14:49:51

I don't think will be noisy but will be cold at night unless you are very lucky with weather, and if rains tent can get very yet underfoot. Ds likely to wake up very early he you don't have black out.

If you love camping great, but

givemeaclue Thu 25-Apr-13 14:52:00

But having done both tent and mobile home with eurocamp/canvas etc if you are in northern France at that time of yearI wwould switch to a mobile home so you have heating in the evening, can keep drier ( spent a very rainy June in Brittany!). And be more comfortable.

But you may be lucky with weather!

Pootles2010 Thu 25-Apr-13 14:53:37

As its safari tent its decking underfoot, do you think that would be better? I used to love camping pre ds, but not been since! Was hoping this would be a nice halfway house...

givemeaclue Thu 25-Apr-13 14:56:24

Decking will be better yes.

sideburnsalawiggins Thu 25-Apr-13 14:57:35

Safari tents are great! You get a heater and a lot more space than in a normal tent. You will be fine if it rains. smile

You get warm bedding too and comfy chairs. We loved it last year in the Loire. Wish we were going this summer.

I am v envy

Pootles2010 Thu 25-Apr-13 14:59:03

Ah we dont' have heaters in our one, just on this site apparently hmm bit annoying. We've booked duvets, will be taking blankets, pjs, warm socks etc!

givemeaclue Thu 25-Apr-13 15:00:15

Take a fan heater.

Pootles2010 Thu 25-Apr-13 15:01:23

Would that be safe? Always thought you shouldn't with tents, but if they've put a gas hob in for goodness sake...

givemeaclue Thu 25-Apr-13 15:03:50

I meant electric heater but wasn't aware rd tent dangers so please check!

You can always go to the bar in the evening!

Pootles2010 Thu 25-Apr-13 15:18:45

Ok have emailed them re the heaters. Yes i think bar might be good idea! Are the Eurocamp bars nice? Had assumed they might be a little 'Brits abroad' blush

givemeaclue Thu 25-Apr-13 15:31:01

They are more French, lots of nationalities. Don't forget the childrens couriers do evening babysit too.

SolomanDaisy Thu 25-Apr-13 15:39:25

We've been to that site, it is fantastic for toddlers. The bars aren't Brits abroad, they're pretty nice! One overlooks a small toddler friendly lake with a sandy beach, so you can have a drink while DC play. Also free wifi in that bar. Prebook anything like high chairs etc. as there will be loads of people with toddlers at that time. The only noise in the evening is kids playing and people talking, it's a very family friendly place with noise rules. Mixed nationalities too, there are lots of Dutch etc. as well as Brits.

Let me know what else you'd like to know!

Pootles2010 Thu 25-Apr-13 15:42:15

Oh lovely, thanks! We've already booked loads - highchair, buggy, bed rails, linen, extra towels... dp told me off already grin

Planning on ramming the car full of blankets, cushions etc to make us nice & cosy maybe some fairy lights &candles too

Really hoping its ok, think ds will love it (hope so anyway!)

Pootles2010 Thu 25-Apr-13 15:54:41

sideburns sorry another question - did you find the Safari tents quite light inside? I'm hoping because they look like a heaving cottony material they might be a bit darker, therefore not waking ds up at 4 am?

WorrySighWorrySigh Sat 27-Apr-13 21:09:22

We have stayed at that site a few times, it is very pleasant and a good introduction back to camping.

We havent stayed in a safari tent but have nosed around. They always looked fairly dark inside. Our experience was that all that fresh air helped the DCs to sleep.

WorrySighWorrySigh Sat 27-Apr-13 21:24:16

Sorry, forgot to say, make sure that your DS is snuggled up lovely and warm in his bed then when he sticks his nose at first thing he will prefer to snuggle back up again!

If he does wake early then it might be kinder to your neighbours to take your DS for a walk to look at the ducks and early morning anglers!

hokeyluvva Sun 28-Apr-13 15:50:57

We've been to that campsite twice and really enjoyed it. I think it will be an excellent choice with a young child as the toddler pool is heated. Wish we were going back.

sideburnsalawiggins Fri 03-May-13 19:05:10

The tents are dark in the bedrooms, yes.

We took candles and it was lovely sitting on the porch in the evening with a glass or two of wine grin

Photogeek Sun 19-May-13 21:24:15

ohhh, Im going to this site in July, and am soooo excited. Ive a millions questions...wheres the nearest supermarket(off site), do we need extra towels? what other extras do we need? whats leos fun station like? my boys are 5, 4 and 2

Ladyhaha Fri 24-May-13 08:27:20

We stayed at this site last september, with Canvas, and it was brilliant. Plenty for the kids to do and the toddler pool was lovely and warm. There's an expensive shop and bakery on site and there's an Intermarche supermarket and a gorgeous bakery in the village - 2 mins away in the car. If you want to do a big shop and get lots of cheap wine to bring back with you, go to the massive Cora supermarket in Soissons, about 15 mins drive away.

imustbemad2 Fri 14-Jun-13 19:49:32

ohh, Im interested in this, heading there in July.staying in a mobile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now