Exciting holiday with 6/8mo? Long or short haul ideas please!

(17 Posts)
Snowgirl1 Tue 28-May-13 15:58:17

Personally, I'd pick somewhere that there's little time difference so that your DD sleep patterns don't get too messed up. We went to Eastern South Africa (nr. Kruger) last August when DD was 7 months old. Although it's their 'winter' the weather was warm (24C) and dry and there's only one hour's time difference.

I'd be getting the map out and looking for places without too much time difference and which are malaria free. What about somewhere like the Austrian alps? Scenic and warm, but not too hot because you'll be at altitude. You could be active and go walking or laze by lakes and swim/paddle. Or Denmark or Sweden? I think the West Coast of Portugal is supposed to be quite breezy - so might be warm, but with a nice breeze to keep DD cool?

If you do decide to go for a long-haul trip, I'd suggest a night flight if possible. When we flew to South Africa it was a night flight so our daughter slept all the way and we didn't have to worry about her disturbing other people or have to try to keep her entertained. This year, our 6 hour Eurostar trip to the South of France is going to be a different kettle of fish!

Enjoy wherever you go!

nenehooo Tue 28-May-13 01:23:44

We're also just back from Barbados with a 6 month old! My advice would be to go short haul - 8 hour plane journey + jet lag = a tiredness I'm still trying to recover from. And go somewhere where there are no Mosquitos, if possible. We all hated having to rub in insect repellant 2-3 times a day.
My DD was absolutely fine in the heat, and didn't need any if the cooking sprays/portable fans etc we bought for her. And she had longer daytime naps than she does here too! So heat wasn't an issue for us. Enjoy wherever you decide!

IslandIsla Tue 28-May-13 01:10:44

canada? plenty of variety.in things in see/do. vancouver and vancouver island is one of my want-to-dos. definitely not too hot.

we are just back.from barbados with a 13 month old and we.exclusively used a sling without too much trouble in 30 degree heat. it was hot but.doable, back carrying is less sweaty too. beaches with an active crawling baby was interesting, not relaxing but baby very much enjoyed it!

noramum Sun 26-May-13 19:41:35

How about USA?, no language problem, decent healthcare and food shouldn't be an problem.

You will find all kind of areas but for heat reasons I would avoid southern states.

Southern europe is hot and quite crowded in August, not good for a baby.

emz0909 Sun 26-May-13 18:27:51

Were trying sa coma in Majorca with our 1 year old next week. Chose it as it's meant to be really fammily orientated close beach nearby not to hot or cool and only a 2hour flight. We were going to try canaries but the thought of 4 hours with my DS who's into getting around ATM trying to stay on my lap is a scary thought.
So that's ours. Not sure where your looking to go though but it's an idea smile

givemeaclue Tue 23-Apr-13 12:44:21

Cape town is brilliant suggestion

Accentuatethepositive Mon 22-Apr-13 21:11:29

Oh and thank you Fluffy, Cape Town is an interesting one we will look into it. And I hadn't thought of childcare as an option, I'll have to have a think about that too.

Accentuatethepositive Mon 22-Apr-13 21:07:42

Thanks again, and sorry for being so vague. I think I am hoping someone will suggest some magical country I haven't thought of which is warm but not hot, adventurous but safe, not too far away and cheap! Hmmn.... Cloud Cuckoo Land?!

mummymeister Mon 22-Apr-13 19:17:34

OP that's the issue with LO. they need so much stuff that is why so few people with babies do these sorts of hols. agree with sunshine. grumpy babies in the heat, heavy, wanting to crawl will be not a lot of fun for you. I think you need to rule out places first then come up with a short list of 3 and post them on here for views/ideas/help. personally with my first at 8 months I wanted a hotel with child care so that I got a holiday

Fluffy1234 Mon 22-Apr-13 18:12:53

Would you consider somewhere such as Cape Town? August is their winter but weather still not bad. Although it's s long flight there is hardly any jet lag so your baby's routine would not get messed up. Or do you think you would prefer more of a sunbathing type of holiday with your baby in some sort of childcare for part of the day?

SunshineandShandy Mon 22-Apr-13 17:29:56

If you only plan to use a sling, look at the weather carefully. I am in the Middle East and once the temp. hit about 30 degrees+, my DD (who is 4 months) eame really uncomfortable in the sling. Even dressed just in a vest we both became hot, wet and grumpy. Somewhere cool but sunny would get my vote.

Accentuatethepositive Mon 22-Apr-13 16:54:09

Also yes we have been away in uk, only for a long weekend, and I think we can do it fairly light as we don't take pram or buggy. Still seems to be quite a lot of stuff for such a small person though!

Accentuatethepositive Mon 22-Apr-13 16:49:15

Thanks that's really helpful. If circumstances dictate that August is our only option, where would people suggest?

specialsubject Mon 22-Apr-13 16:26:39

another vote for June which is a beautiful time of year in Greece, flowers out, generally not too hot (although obviously strongest sun), long light evenings and locals not exhausted by the August madness.

baby won't care as long as it is fed and comfortable. Somewhere with a sea breeze and plenty of shade, done.

all the criteria you list rule out Vietnam.

Fluffy1234 Mon 22-Apr-13 15:06:24

I found travelling with babies is easiest before they start crawling. I travelled with my first 2 at 10 weeks and had great short haul holidays.
Europe in June with a six month old sounds good to me.

mummymeister Mon 22-Apr-13 14:53:47

If you don't have megabucks then don't go in August which is main school holidays. either go in June or beginning of Sept when there will be more bargains around. Personally wouldn't go anywhere that needed jabs or mosquito pills. Babies usually don't like the heat. your LO will be mobile by then as well so you have to consider this. also read others experiences on long flights with babies and how this can be quite stressful for you. your baby wont actually care where you go as long as they are fed and entertained so I would say please yourselves first. have you been away in the uk yet with your LO. do you know how much stuff you usually feel you need? we always had minimal amounts but we have friends who "cant manage" without car loads so it just depends on what kind of person you are. Hope this helps.

Accentuatethepositive Mon 22-Apr-13 13:55:15

We're hoping to take a 2-3 week break in either June or August this year (August more likely but we're keeping our options open for now.) DD will be 6mo in June, 8mo in August.

We want it to be a 'special' holiday but aren't really sure whether to go for the relaxing (? possible with a baby?!) or more active type of holiday, also no real idea what kinds of destinations are suitable.

DD is currently exclusively BF though I guess we'll be introducing solids some time around June. She's used to being carried in a sling. She currently has a loose but predictable bedtime routine which I guess we'll want to continue.

So where could / should we go? We're open to considering anywhere but obviously it can't be too hot (what is too hot for a baby this age though?) which could be tricky in August. I'm also nervous about going anywhere where I will feel uncomfortable with getting about ie where car / road safety isn't up to scratch. Malarial areas are out I assume, plus anywhere with other high risks of disease. Budget is flexible but we don't have megabucks. We usually travel independently.

We'd love to go to Vietnam but not sure if the above criteria rule it out? (feel free to tell me I'm crazy for even considering it, I'm well aware I might be!) In Europe we'd possibly be interested in revisiting the Greek islands (honeymooned there and loved it) but again is that too hot at this time of year?

I'd love to hear from people about holidays they've taken at this time of year with a baby this age that did / didn't work. Also advice from more experienced parents on what to consider in terms of getting around /kit needed / how much travel a child that age can cope with etc.

Thanks in advance!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now