Dubai with PIL, pregnant?

(13 Posts)
MOSagain Thu 25-Apr-13 09:01:13

Kelly is right, Dubai is less than 7 hours. Have been there numerous times as used to live in the ME.
It will be very hot. I lived in the ME through two pregnancies (both DC born there) and it is hot and uncomfortable. However, all the hotels and malls will have AC and there are some nice waterparks to cool off at. I'm sure the toddler would have great fun.

There is no reason you shouldn't be fit to fly at that stage in pregnancy, unless you have other health problems. Just make sure you take proof of how far along you are as I was questionned a number of times once when I was only 24 weeks but looked a lot bigger blush Most airlines cut off around 34 weeks but you normally need a doctors note after 28 confirming how many weeks you are.

Bunbaker Thu 25-Apr-13 07:18:27

Dubai isn't high on my destination list either. I prefer somewhere with a bit more history and culture - plus a pool of course grin

specialsubject Wed 24-Apr-13 22:13:50

kelly14 - sounds like you know it well, useful to hear from someone who does.

You have confirmed my impression that the place is not high on my dream destination list - shopping, spas, sunbathing, waterparks. smile

Lonecatwithkitten Wed 24-Apr-13 14:48:06

Remember that what occurs in the doctors surgery is confidential so you can see your GP express your worries and on the basis of your worries it is decided that you are 'not fit to fly'. No one can find out why you were not fit to fly,

kelly14 Wed 24-Apr-13 11:56:32

Dubai is only 6.30hours from gatwick (always says 7 on ticket but i flown their with emirates hundereds of times and never longer than 6.30 hrs)
My parents lived their 9 years now and i have been taking dd since wasa tiny baby for months at a time and we are gingers and we cope with the heat (dont sit out in direct heat though)
My brother and SIL have had both their children born in Dubai and she sailed through her pregnancys, they have the best medical care out there (although expensive but if you have insurance you will be ok)

There is loads to do and see in Dubai, either lay by the pool, go to the malls, go up the Burj, then watch the fountow whilse having lunch. Have afternoon tea at the burj.
Go shopping, gold souks, waterparks.
Madinat is lovely hotel to walk around in, all abras and waterways and little souk like shops. go to one of the many amazing spas and get pampered.

You can do nothing or do anything you can imagine you would like to do in dubai.

Lancrehotpot Wed 24-Apr-13 10:07:49

You're right special I feel awful about it really as this was meant to be a treat from PILs. ah well.

specialsubject Wed 24-Apr-13 10:04:38

why go on a massive flight to a place that you would hate? (I can't see anything that would interest me in Dubai - each to their own of course).

waste of time and money all round. Send hubby on his own if he wants to go.

Lancrehotpot Wed 24-Apr-13 10:01:56

special, No, Dubai is my idea of hell really. I am pretty much into camping and short city breaks for museums and things! I'm an idiot for thinking this would be good idea.
lone, DH has sorted everything, inc insurance, afaik everything is covered confused
Sunshine, I brought up the heat and my second thoughts to him last night and he wasn't impressed in the least. I am actually thinking that a doctors note is going to be my way out wrt the PIL. I am nervous, just thinking about it! Thanks.

Bunbaker Mon 22-Apr-13 21:06:57

OH regularly travels via Dubai and it is an 8 hour flight. Not a great idea if you are 29 weeks+.

SunshineandShandy Mon 22-Apr-13 17:24:40

It will be very hot by the end of May. The last few days here have been high 30's. If they have access to a pool very close by, then it will be fine, but it will probbly be too hot for the beach. Everywhere is airconditioned, but depends how much walking in Malls you want to do at 29 weeks pregnant.

The flight is not too bad with a toddler though if you get a direct one. If he is happy to eatch TV then usually you can get through it. Nightmare though if he is under 2 and you don't plan on getting him his own seat.

Lonecatwithkitten Mon 22-Apr-13 16:57:20

It is going to be pretty hot then about 40 degrees so how do you feel about that pregnant - though the air conditioning is fab.
Also making sure you can get travel insurance as the hospitals in Dubai are pretty aggressive about payment. Friends mum became ill in Dubai with good travel insurance they had to pay £5000 on a credit card before they would admit her to the ICU for treatment for DVT. The insurance did pay them back, but it did have to be paid front before treatment provided. Bearing mind that a straightforward UK delivery costs around £10,000.

specialsubject Mon 22-Apr-13 14:27:15

can you get travel insurance?

does Dubai appeal to you? long flight if you don't like shopping and beaches, and there are good beaches a lot closer.

Will the temperature in May suit?

Lancrehotpot Mon 22-Apr-13 09:10:40

Is this a bad idea? Me and DH have been asked to go at the end of May by PIL; we are just paying for our flights. We have a toddler and I will be 29 weeks. I am having second thoughts; the more I think about it, to less I want to go. DS is a toddler and being pretty bolshy at the moment, so controlling him on the flight will be nightmare. Just want to cancel and stay at home on the sofa.
Would you go?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now