Any recommendations for snorkelling holiday for Husband and daughter ?

(17 Posts)
CeeBeeJay Sun 09-Jun-13 22:06:34

many thanks everyone have booked Sharm el Sheikh - wouldn't have known where to start without all your replies so big thank you smile

MOSagain Mon 22-Apr-13 08:10:16

I've snorkelled and dived several times at John Pennekamp and definitely no sign of sharks. Lots of nastie mozzies and sandflies there if you camp though!

mummymeister Sun 21-Apr-13 22:45:44

suebfg not when we were there. we went snorkelling out on the reef around John Pennekamp park. no mention of sharks and it is very well organised and felt very safe tbh. we did a guided tour in kayaks in the everglades and past within a few feet of the gators but this was all part of it and didn't feel scared ( just 7 of us plus guide). Check out John Pennekamp we loved it there. Don't even remember sharks being mentioned as there is the reef around the keys so didn't get the impression it was a big problem.

PicaK Sun 21-Apr-13 21:07:31

sharm would be good - or el gouna near Hurghada which is much quieter.

suebfg Sun 21-Apr-13 17:25:39

Hi Mummymeister, were gators and sharks not a problem in the Keys? We've spent some time in the Indian River area and there are large congregations of bull sharks in that area?

mummymeister Sat 20-Apr-13 23:48:14

Florida keys. really good value for money weather perfect never gets over 100 degrees and there are lots of different outdoor/water activities to do my 3 just teens loved it. snorkelling on the reef, swimming with dolphins, canoe trips through the mangroves, a quick trip to the everglades, all other water sports, fishing, I could go on and on. we stayed at Islamorada. pm for more details

suebfg Sat 20-Apr-13 19:21:47

I would recommend Marsa Alam, in particular the Three Corners Fayrouz Hotel. Apart from the wonderful snorkelling from the hotel, you can snorkel with turtles 10 minutes down the beach at Marsa Mubarak, whilst standing up in the water.

We have been to the Great Barrier Reef but the sealife in Egypt was much better

MrsJaqenHgar Sat 20-Apr-13 19:17:12

Best snorkelling I have done was in Sharm el Sheikh. We were on a snorkelling trip in Kenya a few years ago and between the people on the boat, we had pretty much snorkelled all over the world and the general consensus was that Sharm is one of the top places to snorkel.

Still18atheart Sat 20-Apr-13 19:04:30

Sharm el Sheik Egypt was fantastic for snorkeling. Been there twice now as the snorkeling is that good

frenchfancy Sat 20-Apr-13 18:54:33

We went snorkelling as a family in Mexico and loved it.

somethingscary Sat 20-Apr-13 13:09:56

Lanzarote. Can do PADI there too (about £400)

Fluffy1234 Sat 20-Apr-13 13:00:44

I stayed at the Fort Arabesque hotel in Makadi Bay Egypt and the reef and snorkelling were absolutely amazing.

Twinklestarstwinklestars Sat 20-Apr-13 11:53:36

Sharm is lovely, we went last year in August and dp spent ages snorkelling. Cheap ish too.

WitchOfEndor Sat 20-Apr-13 11:45:05

Sharm is great, not too far and relatively cheap, Malta doesn't have the same amount of fish life so I think that would be better for scuba divers. The Maldives is amazing but probably too far for a week.

MOSagain Sat 20-Apr-13 11:32:00

Sharm is apparently good for snorkelling as is Malta.

One thing to think about, given your daughters age she is old enough to take a PADI diving course. The minimum age is now 10 so it is something she could consider. They might get bored after a week of snorkelling so they could easily use that time to qualify as open water divers.
Have a look at the PADI website at the various locations they could dive.

Sharm el Sheik (Egypt) is usually the first place mentioned when talking about diving/snorkeling holidays.

CBJAY Sat 20-Apr-13 10:58:57

My DH and DD (age 12) have decided to go on a weeks snorkelling holiday together while I go to New York with older DD. Has anyone any suggestions for a not ridiculously expensive place they could go? They are both very sporty and active and will try anything so ideally lots of things to do? I've been doing google searches but quite honestly don't have a clue!! Thanks!! smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now