Madrid with children?

(5 Posts)
diamondsneezer Fri 19-Apr-13 13:24:15

We've had an offer to stay in Madrid as a holiday this summer. Is there much to do there to keep children (under 12) amused? I know it's a beautiful city, food, art, etc. but is it more of a weekend city break than a 2 week holiday?

OldBeanbagz Fri 19-Apr-13 16:12:24

Were you thinking of going for a full two weeks? It'll be very hot in the summer but having just returned from a hot (30c +) holiday with my two DC i'd say that kids are more than capable of coping.

There's a few good ideas for things to do with kids here and what we did on our recently holiday was spend the cooler mornings seeing the sites/museaums/galleries and the afternoons chilling by the pool. Maybe you could find a public pool or go to the Urban Beach?

There's also the walled town of Segovia that can be done as a daytrip.

I guess if you've got accomodation for a week there is less pressure for you to go out and do something every day.

A word of caution - watch your bags!

diamondsneezer Fri 19-Apr-13 17:29:14

Thanks OldBean. Yes, it is for 2 weeks. We'd have a pool but we'd still want to get out and about.

I'd forgotten the whole bag-watching thing. It's hard enough keeping an eye on the children without watching out for pickpockets.

I think I'll carry on looking...

SoldeInvierno Thu 25-Apr-13 20:38:07

I was there with DS (9) in October and we found lots to do for 5 days: zoo, museums, royal palace, hiring bicycles and riding along the Manzanares... However, in the summer it will be madly hot (37C or more) and generally quite an empty city, especially in August. I think you will spend most days just by the pool to avoid the heat.

SoldeInvierno Thu 25-Apr-13 20:39:05

as a day trip, Segovia, Toledo and Aranjuez are very nice. And there's Warner Brothers amusement park nearby as well.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now