Holiday accommodation with a toddler in tow...

(7 Posts)
podmumlet Thu 18-Apr-13 15:43:30

Bar a few weekends away at the in-laws in the country, we haven't yet travelled as a family with our 26mo DS.

I am a bit clueless as to what type of accommodation to look for whilst planning a local week long holiday.

It seems that the family friendly holidays are rather expensive considering he is unlikely to want to join in the childcare options, and I assume that B&Bs would not take toddlers..

So, is the best suggestion to look for accommodation in self catering cottages? Normal hotels?

Any thoughts/experiences welcome smile

givemeaclue Thu 18-Apr-13 16:43:28

Cottages, hotels, villas, mobile homes, apartments all good. where do you want to go?

noramum Thu 18-Apr-13 20:42:29

We always go self-catering but we already did this before DD arrived.

We do the odd B&B a year when we want to do a trip where the drive is too long but I don't like sharing a room with her and wouldn't survive a whole week or more in a hotel.

mummymeister Thu 18-Apr-13 22:14:08

we always did self catering when they were younger so that if they didnt sleep or woke up early we could just deal with it like we did at home. also means that you have plenty of space and you get a bit more of a holiday. did hotels but always had the "going to bed when they do " dilemma. not a kids club fan - personally if we are away then I want to spend time with them not shunt them off to day care like any other working day but accept not the same for others.Try and pick an area that you want to go to. check out the various cottage websites and the tourist board websites and see what comes up. avoid school hols though if you can as more expensive and busy. we stay here and it is ideal for younger kids. lots of nice places around though so hope you find something.

podmumlet Fri 19-Apr-13 09:35:27

givemeaclue - we are planning on taking a week off and going down to cornwall from london. maybe doing a bit of a scenic route there as my husband has never been to cornwall or devon and i have only been on a 5 day work-related field trip. did love it though.

noramum - good point you raise. our ds definitely wouldn't go to sleep with us in the same room and still awake and we run the risk of driving each other stir crazy by the end of the week!

mummymeister - thanks for the link the self catering cottages in looe. we will definitely not be going in school holidays while we can still get away with it. and yes, we wouldn't put our little one in the childcare either. the thing that appeals for me about the family friendly hotels though is that you don't feel awfully self conscious if your little one goes squealing round the pool or tearing down the walkways disturbing what is supposed to be a relaxing holiday for other couples. everything there would have little people in tow and would understand... smile

maybe i could pick your minds for suggestions on a route down and must see places?

Was thinking of driving down to Lulworth to see Durdle's Door so that we can get a taste of the jurassic coast. (not sure if a London - Lulworth drive in one day is doable with a little one).

then i am not sure if there is anything really unmissable, but maybe heading off to pop in to Dawlish and Torquay and Totness for a visit maybe spending a night somewhere in that vicinity...

Then driving across to St Austell to see the Eden Project.

And last stop would be Newquay to see the Atlantic Coast, the beaches and the surf.

Would these cover some of the must see places in Cornwall and Devon or have I missed out an obvious stop somewhere?

Clearly, I am not originally from the UK, but have been swallowed up by the Big Smoke and sadly haven't had the chance to explore the West Country to date...

Really excited about it though, so comments really welcome smile

givemeaclue Fri 19-Apr-13 14:15:14

Ok my honest opinion is that you are trying to do too much in a week, driving distances can be long and you want time to relax and potter or you will go home more tired than at the start of the holiday!

podmumlet Fri 19-Apr-13 15:48:48

True true. Which would be the must-sees?

I suspect we may not pass that way again..

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now