Is Disney the ultimate holiday destination for kids or is there something even better?

(146 Posts)
carolinecordery Thu 18-Apr-13 08:45:01

I'm thinking from the point of view of DC. Would they be as happy with something else or is Disney the best? What do you think is the best age for kids to enjoy it?

bubbles1231 Fri 19-Apr-13 14:53:03

We did our first cruise when DS's were 8 & 10, with Royal Caribbean. It was great! We had a suite which gave plenty of space. The children ended up going to bed at the same time as us, so we didn't feel like we needed extra space. (Next time tho we've booked 2 adjoining cabins.)
We also let let them each choose one of the excursions. We didn't use the kids clubs at all as DH works away a lot and we try to be together as much as poss on holidays. There was so much to do on board, no one was fed up even on the days at sea.

tungthai Fri 19-Apr-13 15:05:14

My children want to experience Disney but they have said that they would prefer California so we can just spend a couple of days at theme parks and then go off and explore.

Each to their own but I really don't understand how two weeks in Orlando spending nearly every day at a theme park is fun for anyone.

Branleuse Fri 19-Apr-13 15:06:30

its my idea of hell

Xenia Fri 19-Apr-13 15:52:35

Message deleted by Mumsnet for breaking our Talk Guidelines. Replies may also be deleted.

TheReturnoftheSmartArse Fri 19-Apr-13 15:58:21

Blimey, Xenia ... shock

It isn't my sort of thing at all, and we've never been, but my DSis took her kids last year, on the grounds that it's one of those things you " have" to do once, and they loved it (though she didn't!).

TheReturnoftheSmartArse Fri 19-Apr-13 15:59:10

I'm trying to think of what would appeal more to kids, though ...

Do you like watersports/activities? What about a sailing holiday?

suebfg Fri 19-Apr-13 16:02:55

Message deleted by Mumsnet for breaking our Talk Guidelines. Replies may also be deleted.

TheReturnoftheSmartArse Fri 19-Apr-13 16:04:04

I'd always hoped she was a little eccentric rather than a crashing snob. Sadly, I was wrong. sad

theoriginalandbestrookie Fri 19-Apr-13 16:07:08

Blimey, I didn't realise we had done DS such a disservice by taking him there.
But he's getting ski lessons now so hopefully that will make him all "naice" again.

BackforGood Fri 19-Apr-13 16:10:52

If it's a "Once in a lifetime" type of trip, then I'd wait until they are much older. When my sister went, her youngest was 7 and she was glad they waited, as she said there's just SO much walking, and so much to see and do, they'd just not have coped any younger.

Of course, if you can afford that kind of trip regularly, then they will get different things out of it at different ages, and also you won't feel as pressured to 'do' everything in the one trip.

Xenia Fri 19-Apr-13 17:07:31

I was just playing to the stereotype and cannot imagine taking children there, that's all. I am not alone in those views. Each to their own. In fact some of mine went to Thorpe Park at Easter again somewhere you would never drag me in a month of Sundays. It would be boring if we were all the same.

Fluffy1234 Fri 19-Apr-13 17:26:54

My family enjoy Disney for a few days, we love beaches and pool holidays on the Med and in the Caribbean, cruises also sightseeing and nature holidays. My DC loved visiting visiting Iguassa Falls and staying in a Rain Forset in Argentina. We enjoyed Cape Town visiting the Penguins at Boulder beach and Robin island. A family trip to Egypt and flying to the pyramids for an amazing day trip was also a great holiday.
I find it funny judging people by how they spend a few days or weeks of their lives.

MsHighwater Fri 19-Apr-13 17:37:16

Having just arrived back from Orlando last weekend after a fortnight of full-immersion Disney (hotel, parks, free travel, the lot), it gives me a special glow to know that it makes me "downmarket" in Xenia's book.

It (Orlando, anyway) is much much more than just a theme park with rides. It is 4 different theme parks, 2 water parks, shopping and dining areas, parades, fireworks, characters, an animal reserve, and more. If you are not bothered about Disney and your dc's are equally unenthralled, go elsewhere.

I, too, don't get why some people feel the need to sneer. Different strokes... Oh, and I can (and will) just as happily do a week in Northumberland (or similar) and I'll be doing it in a 20 year old towing caravan. I have room in my life for a very broad range of experiences.

Badvoc Fri 19-Apr-13 17:55:01

Hell no.
I draw the line at caravans!
smile

nancy75 Fri 19-Apr-13 17:58:20

We went to euro Disney over Easter, my dd age 7 loved it, one evening after being in the park all day and seeing the big end of day show she told me it had been the best day of her life! Just in case you think dd has never done or seen anything, we live in London and make full use of everything the city has, dd has travelled to many different countries and done so many things but a day in Disney was the greatest thing ever for her.

suebfg Fri 19-Apr-13 20:35:54

I think the people who turn their noses up at Disney often are the ones who haven't been there. We've travelled to the likes of Thailand, Australia, Singapore etc and booked Disney primarily for DS.

But I was really surprised at how enjoyable it was for me too - made me feel young all over again and that's not such a bad thing!

Prawntoast Fri 19-Apr-13 20:44:23

Horses for courses, we've done Disney a couple of times but best holiday memory was me and DD at 8.30 am on a deserted French Atlantic beach, surf perfect, no one else around, riding the waves on our boards, nothing has beaten that.

Lighthousekeeping Fri 19-Apr-13 20:53:54

This place sometimes. Honestly. I'm lost for words.

Badvoc Fri 19-Apr-13 21:14:13

Maybe that's partially it sue.
I was never into Disney or princesses etc as a child.
It just doesn't feature on my to do list at all.
I know I wouldn't enjoy it, so why go? ESP when the kids aren't bothered.

Xenia Fri 19-Apr-13 21:19:01

I wonder what is censorable then? Is it the c word? Is it discussions about class?

difficultpickle Fri 19-Apr-13 21:19:04

Ds has been to Disney (albeit not the Florida one), the Caribbean, on safari in Africa, skiing, city holidays. His absolute favourite holiday ever was a week's glamping in Cornwall last year. A tent in our own private field complete with chickens. He spent his mornings cycling around the farm or helping the farmer, his afternoons surfing, his evenings laying the campfire, helping with the woodburning stove and supervising cooking. It didn't matter that the weather wasn't great either.

suebfg Fri 19-Apr-13 21:24:15

If you won't enjoy it, there's no point going Badvoc.

Pre-children, I would never have dreamed of going there. But I was surprised at how 'magical' Disney felt. Universal, Seaworld etc feel like commercially run theme parks. Disney might be but it doesn't feel that way. One of the Disney staff told me that Disney doesn't make a lot of profit from the theme parks, the profit comes from the films and merchandising etc. I don't know if that is true but it certainly felt that way when we were there.

Badvoc Fri 19-Apr-13 21:31:03

What's class got to do with Xenia?
Am confused.
I wouldn't go to Disney for the same reason I won't go caravan ing or camping - I know I would hate it and I don't fancy any of them with 2 young dc!
Doesn't mean people who like those things are wrong to like them.
Just dont see what the big issue is, really.

suebfg Fri 19-Apr-13 21:34:44

Xenia, do you think only 'common' people take their kids to Disney?

We keep thinking about it but have never go round to it (my idea of hell TBH). We are trying a cruise for the first time this year with some trepidation as we usually camp or caravan or otherwise self cater, so it has been interesting reading the comments here.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now