Is Disney the ultimate holiday destination for kids or is there something even better?

(146 Posts)
carolinecordery Thu 18-Apr-13 08:45:01

I'm thinking from the point of view of DC. Would they be as happy with something else or is Disney the best? What do you think is the best age for kids to enjoy it?

Bonsoir Thu 18-Apr-13 08:46:10

Some children hate Disney! I think most children get more out of a beach holiday.

Ragwort Thu 18-Apr-13 08:47:49

Absolutely depends on your own children, we offered to take our DS on a Disney holiday, he said he wasn't particularly keen to our delight grin.

Rosa Thu 18-Apr-13 08:48:48

I know my dds would love it , hopefully one day we will take them. However now they are happy with a beach / pool / ice cream on tap place .

Fairylea Thu 18-Apr-13 08:51:38

Disney for dd... ds would enjoy a hot beach more. Every child is different !

wigglesrock Germany Thu 18-Apr-13 08:54:40

It depends grin , I'm not sure my dds would swop a week by the pool with "free" icecream and the mini disco hmm for Disney. They would love to go to Disney but I'm not sure they would actually prefer it to week away.

Primrose123 Thu 18-Apr-13 08:57:45

My DCs wouldn't enjoy being on a beach for a whole week - we don't sunbathe, we just burn! They love Disney. We have been a few times, and they are now 12 and 15 and still love it more than anything else. We have noticed that when we go, the things we do there change as the children get older, but we all have a great time.

We are going in the summer, after DD's GCSEs, and they are looking forward to going off in the park without us, as we feel they are old enough for that now.

Rosa Thu 18-Apr-13 08:58:22

If refering to me ..no mini disco where we are going ( or entertainment or otherwise) . Plus we have fresh home made ice cream daily !!

Thing is mine love the beach and pool which we go to and one day I know they will like disney... Just need the time and money!

Bonsoir Thu 18-Apr-13 08:59:57

My DD dreams of bicycling and beaches and sandcastles and playing in the water all day. She went to Disney once and hated it (she found it very boring).

givemeaclue Thu 18-Apr-13 09:15:19

Mine love both.

mummymeister Thu 18-Apr-13 09:23:37

different things at different ages. when very small under 4 they loved the beach and walks. from 7 they have been away for a week each year to PGL which gives them the independence plus a great time. we went to disney first when they were 8+ and this year eldest was 15 and feel this is the last time they really want to go for now but they do want to go back to Universal. just good to give them a mix of different hols and different experiences imo.

senua Thu 18-Apr-13 09:29:06

Would they be as happy with something else or is Disney the best?

Is this a serious question? hmm Are you that brainwashed?

Bonsoir Thu 18-Apr-13 09:31:36

SShh, senua, I want the masses to go off and spend their time and money in a theme park so that they leave all the beautiful places in the world empty for me!

carolinecordery Thu 18-Apr-13 09:39:16

Thanks for your replies;

the DC are currently only 4.9 and 24 months so we're not thinking of going this year, but just wanted to find out how kids felt about the place.

I'm not a humungous Disney fan; the DC have not seen any of the classic films, but I do love parks with rides.

I wonder if the DC and me, can get our fill of rides and that sort of thing by having a 2 or 3 day trip to Alton Towers/ its waterpark, instead of the expense of Disney?

Fluffy1234 Thu 18-Apr-13 09:41:27

My DC who are young teens love cruises and activity/adventure type holidays. Their favourite trips were a twin centre holiday to Brazil and Argentina and on a Disney Cruise around the Med. They also enjoyed Disney when we went to the Californian one for a few days before a Mexican riveria cruise.
I found when my DC were younger what they liked best was the whole family being together for a week or two and junping in a pool all day or digging on a beach. Now they are older they enjoy activities and making new friends.

senua Thu 18-Apr-13 09:42:00

Ooops. Sorry, bonsoir, you have a point there.wink

Yes, yes OP go to Disney and Vegas and other overpriced overcrowded places. They are lovely!

senua Thu 18-Apr-13 09:44:39

OMG there's a Disney Cruise!?shock My two least favourite holiday ideas rolled into one - it would be hell on water earth.

Fluffy1234 Thu 18-Apr-13 09:53:26

Yeh taking the DC to Rome, Pisa, Pompeii, Barcelona, Palma and the South of France and then being pampered on the ship in a luxury suite was hell. Relaxing at the boutique style adult pool while the DC were having fun was so awful and don't even get me started on the food.

senua Thu 18-Apr-13 10:00:18

boutique style adult pool

A what?

Badvoc Thu 18-Apr-13 10:05:57

My dc would hate Disney.
It a just an amusement park, surely?
Albeit in sunny Florida.
My kids like beaches, trains, zoos and sea life centres.
Can get all of that in the uk.
Would love to take them to Central Park zoo though! Maybe one day....

Withalittlesparkle Thu 18-Apr-13 10:11:49

OP, Disney is such fun... for some people. BUT I'm not entirely sure whether you as a family would get THAT much out of it because you've just said you're not huge disney fans. Orlando does have more to offer than what is on the disney complex, so you could get your fill of rides and water parks that way.

Or look for pretty much anywhere else with a theme park in the local area, or a beach holiday that has a nearby water park (Cyprus, Spain, France... Stafford...)

That being said your children are still very young so I'd just wait to see what happens on their preferences towards disney!!

ajandjjmum Thu 18-Apr-13 10:22:09

Forte Village in Sardinia - perfect children's holiday. Went several times when DC were young - couldn't afford it now! sad

2cats2many Thu 18-Apr-13 10:26:37

I've never been tempted. I hate queues and vast crowds of people so I don't think I could be persuaded. I also hate all of that mass, in-your-face consumption and waste that goes on in those places. My kids would prefer an action type holiday I think where they have sailing or skiing lessons. Also, they love beaches and swimming.

milkymocha Thu 18-Apr-13 10:32:38

We have not long came back from Disneylans with our nearly 3yo, 23 month godson & 1yo. It was fantastic and my 3 year old is still talking about it every day.

Iam not an overly disney mum but, we all throughly enjoyed ourselves ! I definitely think its an good experience ! (And yes i have travelled some beautiful places too, disney was amazing!

MasterOfTheYoniverse Thu 18-Apr-13 10:47:03

Imagine a french family making the trip to the UK to exclusively treat their toddlers to Alton towers/legoland?
Is there really nothing else you can think that would appeal in ALL of France?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now