Sorrento for a child-free break?

(9 Posts)
Daisybell1 Tue 16-Apr-13 19:52:47

We've got the chance to escape for a few nights minus the toddler. We want somewhere with a fairly short flight, lovely food, wine, sunbathing and some things to see.

I went on a school trip when I was 18 and loved it but that was 17 years ago blush

Is it still lovely and gorgeous? Can anyone recommend a hotel or restaurants?

Thank you!

Bunbaker Wed 17-Apr-13 07:09:13

We went to Sorrento last year. I thought the hotel was spot on, but the location wasn't. The roads in Sorrento are very busy and there are no nice quiet areas for strolling around unless you are in the pedestrianised area right in the middle. The place is built up right to the cliff edge so you can't even walk by the sea. So, in a way I was a little disappointed. Sorrento is about an hour to an hour and a half from Naples airport depending on the traffic and the local train service is a doddle to use.

Also, apparently the success of the Pompeii exhibition in London means that bookings for the area are up by about 70% so you may struggle to get the accommodation you want.

Apart from the location the holiday did tick all the right boxes though - food, weather, hotel quality, places to visit.

Butterkistbutterkistrarara Wed 17-Apr-13 12:43:30

I love Sorrento, we stayed in the Grand Hotel Aminta, and had lovely views of the bay of naples, and our bathroom window framed Vesuvius, DH said it was the best view ever when peeing! We were at the top of the long winding road going out of Sorrento, but there is a beautiful path down into Sorrento through olive groves! Hotel is lovely but at peak times you may have to share a table in the restaurant, didnt put us off at all though.

I can't wait to go back when DC are older and no longer want to holiday with us!

mrstowers Wed 24-Apr-13 22:37:42

Ooh we've stayed at The Aminta too and it was fab. We were half board and the food was lovely. They've actually got a live webcam on their website so you can take a look at the lovely views from the hotel.

TheDoctrineOfSnatch Wed 24-Apr-13 22:39:09

How about amalfi or Positano as alternative bases?

Butterkistbutterkistrarara Thu 25-Apr-13 13:16:22

mrstowers Good taste in accommodation!

Always thought ravello or Amalfi nicer. The Santa Caterina in Amalfi is fab.

magentastardust Fri 26-Apr-13 14:05:48

If it just for a few nights how about staying on Capri?

magentastardust Fri 26-Apr-13 14:06:20

Or Positano-love it there!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now