Orlando experts needed!

(11 Posts)
triplets Sat 13-Apr-13 22:12:16

We would desperately like to go in Aug for 2 weeks. Have searched and searched and can`t afford to do it the wayI would like. Flight only direct is coming out at over a £1000 each, five of us. So Asda travel have some reasonable offers, a package for around £5000 inc. Only stayed in a villa before, so a hotel migt be nice change. Would still like cooking facilities for b/fast but more than anything would like to be able to walk to other shops/restaurant etc. Travel agent says i-drive would be good, only ever drove down it once anf felt it abit frantic. Can anyone help please?

WallyBantersYoniBox Sat 13-Apr-13 23:34:19

Have you tried Monarch?

Idrive does have all the action, but it is quite busy. We stayed in a house about 10mins away with a pool and it was nice to get away from the madness, have a night time swim, order takeout and put DS to bed in his own room.

International Drive immediately to the SOUTH of Sandlake Road tends to be quieter than I Drive north of Sandlake Road. Would not ever stay north of Sandlake Road. Look on Google Street View.

There are lots of hotels and restaurants along the mid part of I Drive, I would look into staying in the area of I Drive around Pointe Orlando.

I Drive stretches for miles and the part of it that runs past SeaWorld for instance would necessitate the use of a car to get to the shops and restaurants as there are none within easy walking distance. Location therefore has to be chosen with care.

Some suite based hotels like Embassy Suites do breakfast for their guests as part of their room rate so this may be something you may want to look at. Such suite based hotels usually only have basic cooking facilities e.g a microwave and a fridge with a small freezer compartment.

MOSagain Mon 15-Apr-13 13:59:32

I think if you are used to the luxury and space of a villa you will find it hard being in a hotel, particularly with 3 teenagers.

I feel your pain, we were hoping to go in August but the flights are crazy money. A quote this morning with Thomas Cook, flight only was £5,800! sad

triplets Mon 15-Apr-13 22:51:26

Hmm I think I am giving up on it....its looking far to expensive. Idealy I would like tp spend no more than £5k you would think you could get something exciting and nice for that wouldn`t you? Thinking cap back on! Thank you anyway smile

MOSagain Tue 16-Apr-13 15:57:52

Sadly triplets I think the longer you leave it and the nearer it gets to departure the more the prices go up. I appreciate that in your circumstances you can't book ahead so its so difficult for you.

Maybe book a last minute holiday to a completely new destination? Florida is just getting so expensive. We have a house there that we simply can't afford to visit sad

triplets Tue 16-Apr-13 22:58:17

oh MOS what a shame. We used to own a small apartment in Puerto Pollensa in Majorca, sold it after we lost Matthew and these three came along..........needed the money. Have regretted it ever since as we loved it there. Just want a holiday thats abit different and exciting and affordable! Aug is just sooo expensive.

suebfg Sat 20-Apr-13 19:26:08

A great place to stay is the Lake Buena Vista Resort. But August is generally considered one of the worst time to go to Florida because of the heat and humidity.

Mooycow Tue 23-Apr-13 16:55:06

Have you considered a stop over flight, we did this last year with 2 teens, stopped in atlanta going for 2 hours then 4 hours coming back, saved nearly £1000 overall,i would def consider doing this again all very hassle free , plenty of time to shop and only 40 mins flight to florida

BeGoodElliot Tue 23-Apr-13 17:08:00

I was also going to suggest doing a flight change. I have done a stop in Miami then onto Orlando (a half hour flight) but by not going direct it saved hundreds of pounds per person. We had 5 kids with us and wasn't too much of a hassle (we went to Burger King mostly!).

If you have a look on sky scanner.net it will give you all the available flights and combinations.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now