Tips for booking last minute deal during school summer holidays?

(7 Posts)
PrivatelyPeaceful Fri 12-Apr-13 20:27:48

I am usually a compulsive holiday planner and booker- in advance. I always get a good deal by getting in early with flights etc and booking independently.

This summer, however, we have decided to book at the last minute as we've missed the window for cheap flights to the place we really want to go to.

We will want to go away or ten days or a fortnight some time during August. It doesn't matter when as long as its August and we get maybe 2-3 days notice.

Resigned to not being able to book our destination of choice, we're hoping for a random last minute bargain. (Although ideally of course, our dream destination will be among the last minute deals! ) In the event that this doesnt happen, we're actually fairly flexible about where we go but couldn't bear a tacky Brits abroad nightmare!

Is anyone out there experienced in looking for school holiday deals? Do you get big discounts these days ? And how far in advance should I start to look? Any advice greatly appreciated.

Ps budget is about £1700 for 2 adults and 2 children.

mummymeister Sat 13-Apr-13 14:51:22

Be flexible and be prepared to decide and act quickly. make a list of places you want to go to and the kind of accommodation you might want. then about 4 weeks before you go start trawling on the top few and see what you find. be wary of places where you get to know the accommodation when you arrive. i have heard nothing but horror stories. be adventurous in where you might go and have everything on standby like who you will get your travel insurance with etc. also worth listing places you cant go to because of jabs, visas etc. IME you dont really find that many bargains like you used to. you also do need to bear in mind what a travel agent friend once told me - remember those last minute holidays are always the ones that no one else wants!! good luck.

thebestpossibletaste Sun 14-Apr-13 13:24:47

Sorry, don't have any suggestions but am also thinking about where we will go in the summer hols. Have slightly less than you for 2 adults and 1 child.

Where would you look for last minute (or otherwise)holidays? where do you usually book?

bellindda Sun 14-Apr-13 23:08:30

check directly with low cost companies plus direct with apartments owners..
Marvellous destinies in southern spain less known than costa del sol are much cheaper and less crowded...and ryanair prices to faro airport or sevilla are ok.
We got a great deal with ryanair plus self catering apartment through internet in southern spain. I can reccomend you the web page to look it up or the owners direct mail....

jamtoast12 Sun 28-Apr-13 09:47:06

I'm also looking - is your budget for sc? We are looking for all inclusive for family of four for a week and I think we'll be lucky to get it under £2000? One week currently £2300 in most places, Id be made up if i can get two weeks for that!

jamtoast12 Sun 28-Apr-13 09:48:18

I find if you can get AI for not much more its worth it. We spend about £80 per day even half board as so expensive with children. On AI we rarely spend a penny all week

Rosa Sun 28-Apr-13 09:51:30

Keep an eye on the holiday comps, Thomson , Cosmos etc they often do last minute bargains filling up flight seats and offering accom allocated on arrival- so have a look at all levels 3/4*etc . Often they have huge allocations and offer silly prices just to make some money. Often the offers run a week / 2 weeks before deoarture date and even the day before.
If you watch their websites the hotels they push more are the ones you are likely to get.....

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now