Dress codes on cruises

(31 Posts)

We've booked a fortnight Med cruise with Royal Caribbean this summer somewhat on impulse and am now starting to wonder if it was the right thing for us. Our normal holidays are camping and self catering cottages, we have never holidayed in a hotel.

I couldn't find anything on the RC website about dress codes pre-booking, so assumed it was one of those things that doesn't happen any more. A bit of googling tonight says otherwise. DH and I don't really do dressing up, except for weddings. I live in jeans, DH lives in chinos and rugby shirts, he has one suit, which is winter weight. I have no cocktail or evening wear at all. So, now starting to panic a bit. Can we go in other restaurants and avoid the formal nights? Or are we going to have to bite the bullet and buy a lot of clothes that are likely to never get worn again. Are we going to feel like fish out of water? Beginning to wonder what on earth we have done.

Fluffy1234 Sun 07-Apr-13 22:25:40

My DS's wore their trainers in the evening and their crocs or sandals during the day. They wore their 3 quarter length trousers and a clean t shirt for dinner and a polo shirt on formal nights. They are young teens. You don't have to go mad clothes shopping.

malteserzz Sun 07-Apr-13 23:13:53

Yes the times will be published and they do an announcement when the ship is ready for you to get off. When you first get on they take your photo and you get a sign and sail card, you use this to buy drinks and they swipe it when you get off the ship and on again so they can see who's left on the ship.
Most people get off but not all, sometimes we've just got off for a couple of hours then enjoyed a quiet ship.

That was the next question, can you come back early or do you have to stay off all day? I suspect some of the ports will be more interesting to the DCs than others and we may want to potter about a bit then come back on board, especially if it's very hot.

Starting to find my way round Cruise Critic now.

Crutchlow35 Australia Mon 08-Apr-13 13:50:52

No, you can get on and off as you like when in port.

Most port days you are likely to get some really good spa packages if you like that kinda thing.

I remember on our last cruise we went to disembark at the end of the cruise. I went through the barriers and swiped my card when you get a little ping noise from the computer but when DH when through he got a noise like getting an answer wrong on family fortunes except it was really, really loud, plus the screen flashes up red! He'd had 2 more beers after we settled our account and he forgot to settle again! Was embarrassing!

You've made me laugh there Crutchlow, will be on guard on the last day!

Spa days have never really appealed, but i I like the idea of having a quiet day by the pool without the masses. It sounds like shore days need a lot of researching to get the best out of them.

Fluffy1234 Wed 10-Apr-13 09:35:01

We try to avoid two long sightseeing days back to back, otherwise you can feel a bit like you are not getting to use all the ship's facilities. For example on a Med cruise we did a half day trip to Pisa then a full day trip to Rome and then a half day trip to Pompeii which started a bit later in the day. We let the DC pick Pisa and Pompeii and DH and I chose the Rome day. This minimized moaning.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now