Whinfell forest - central parc :)

(15 Posts)
andy84 Mon 01-Apr-13 22:48:10

Hey everyone! We have just booked our wee holiday to whinfell forest, not going for a couple off months yet, due to work commitments... Has anyone got any advise/tips?
We're staying in a woodside lodge.. smile

Macey78 Mon 01-Apr-13 23:06:16

We have been to centre parcs in Elvedon recently I have picked up various tips from others on here which proved very useful.
The following helped with our trip, we have one DD 2.5
-We did not book any activities and just used the pool, play ground - we could have accessed activities but this may be down to the fact we went off peak so you may need to book depending on when you are going.
-Remember where you have parked the car.
-We did book a bike with a trailer and our DD enjoyed it however not all of the time, take your own helmets, bike locks are free if you book in advance otherwise you have to pay.
-Our dd has a scooter which we took with us however when in the centre of the village scooters at Elvedon are not allowed.
-We took with us, salt, pepper, tea bags, coffee, sugar, pick up sachets of ketchup, mustard now while you are out and about, snacks for DD, washing up liquid, a couple of dishwasher tablets, cereal, stuff for sandwiches for lunch, and pre made dinners for the evening with salad. Plenty of bread and seeds to feed the ducks. This is fab they come right up to your door.
-On one of the posts I read that the sheets were noisy which made me tickle when I read it. I have to ay the sheets in the room DH and I were in were noisy and by the 4th night I wanted my own sheets..lol

malteserzz Tue 02-Apr-13 10:23:31

Don't bother taking any smart clothes everyone wears jeans,fleeces etc even at the restaurants. Have to disagree with the last poster as cycle locks are free to everyone and you get to take them home at the end of the holiday.
If your children are little a hooded towel or dressing gown is good for them to wear in the pool area so they don't get cold

makemineapinot Tue 02-Apr-13 19:31:51

We're going on Friday so remind me next week and I'll let you know how we found it!

andy84 Tue 02-Apr-13 21:23:38

Thanks everyone! We're going out off school holidays time, we have booked & paid our bikes but haven't booked any activities etc yet, and I don't think I'm gonna, judt gonna go with the flow, my 2 kids (5,11) are outside constantly so they will be delighted out & about! smile
One thing, it says the lodges have kettles & cookers. Is there a toaster? My kids live on them! ;) xx

VitoCorleone Tue 02-Apr-13 21:31:56

We go to Whinfell most years, its lovely!

Yes there should be a toaster.

The pool is great but gets very busy, we usually go later in the day when its quieter.

Go shopping for food before you go, the Parc Market is very expensive, we usually hit Asda before we go.

If you want a meal at Bella Italia book as soon as possible, it gets fully booked most nights - and dont go overdressed, i turned up in a dress and heels and everyone else was in jeans and fleeces grin

beagoodgirl Tue 02-Apr-13 21:33:53

We are off to Whinfell on Friday.this isn't our first time....the main things I can think of are,take washing up liquid and dishwasher tablets,you will actually be supplied with 3 of these but we find we use a few more..maybe we are lazy .snacks for kids are a good idea,and we used to book activities but no longer do,there's quite a lot for them to do and we have been able to book when there if necessary.

andy84 Tue 02-Apr-13 21:45:22

So I will leave my heels at home smile yeah was planning on taking snacks, and will remember to stop off at asda Etc, before hand, looking forward to it! xx

andy84 Wed 03-Apr-13 22:29:00

One more question.... When and if we book activities, do u have to pick exact day & time when you want to do it? Or just decide when you arrive x

makemineapinot Wed 03-Apr-13 22:50:37

We've pre booked days and times to make sure everyone was sorted!

ISeeSmallPeople Wed 03-Apr-13 22:55:35

If you a hiring their bikes & don't need a trailer, take rucksacks!

The bikes have no baskets, and you spend your time cycling from the pool, to the lodge, to the pool, to the shop & back with a bottle of wine & wet towels trying to balance it all in flimsy plastic carrier bags off the handlebars, whilst stopping your children from cycling into people or trees

barefootwalker Sun 07-Apr-13 08:10:37

Haven't been to Whinfell but went to Sherwood with a large group and we had a Tesco online food delivery on the first night which worked brilliantly. Saves trying to squish everything in the car!

Mynxie Mon 08-Apr-13 16:47:21

Has anyone taken a slow cooker? I'm thinking that it would be an easy way to cater for a large family group without too much effort!

makemineapinot Tue 09-Apr-13 22:32:03

Did take a slow poker but it is a good idea. We ate out twice but it was expense,otherwise had pizza, baked potatoes etc, nice and easy! Def go to pool in early evening as it's so much quieter and it's fab swimming outside in early evening! The sheets/duvets are noisy - very rustly! DS said it was like hearing someone rolling about in a giant bag of crisps!! We had a fab time and will go back. We did have a wee mouse visitor in our lodge tho which apparently is very common but they will give u a oar device to gets f them humanely if u ask! With regards to activities, we booked a few extra on the day just by phoning from the lodge. Haves great time!

makemineapinot Tue 09-Apr-13 22:33:01

Sonar device!!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now