Heathrow parking - help!

(9 Posts)
CrackerSnacker Thu 28-Mar-13 23:03:02

Off to Australia for 5 weeks in the summer (yay!) and am in a quandary over transport/parking. I'll be travelling on my own with 3.1yr old DD (plus buggy/suitcase/hand luggage...) so thought it'd be easiest to drive (from Norfolk) but having spoken to mechanic brother-in-law realise there's a good chance of a flat battery on return - not ideal after a 24hr flight. Are car parks helpful in this situation? Can anyone recommend a car park?

Don't know if I can face a 5hr bus journey or the changes we'd have to make by train. Taxi would be £400!

Any ideas appreciated!

QuintEggSensuality Thu 28-Mar-13 23:06:02

Airport parking can be quite expensive. And you need to factor in petrol to and from the airport. And getting from your car to the bus going between car parks and the airport, the ride can take 20-30 minutes, and might just go every half hour, so you must factor in plenty of time. Unless you use a meet and greet service where you drive to departures, leave your car with somebody who meets you there, drive your car away, and meet you WITH your car outside arrivals upon your return. Should take care of your battery problem.

CelticPromise Thu 28-Mar-13 23:17:59

What about taxi from closer? There's a website where you can rent space on people's drives, you could leave your key and get them to start it. Do you know anyone who lives close ish?

I live about a £35 taxi ride from Heathrow and there is unrestricted parking on the street here. I can't offer you off street parking but I'd be willing to start your car once or twice a week.

CestTout Fri 29-Mar-13 10:01:06

Have you got someone who would drive you for petrol money? I parked in the pink elephant parking at Heathrow for 3 weeks in October, if you decide to park they seem well priced (£60 for 21 days!)

MOSagain Fri 29-Mar-13 11:28:06

We are using purple parking at Heathrow tomorrow and are paying £56 for 2 weeks.

CrackerSnacker Fri 29-Mar-13 21:46:24

Thanks for ideas & offers :-)

A friend's parents live about 30 miles away, so that's a possibility I hadn't considered.

Most of the car parks state that they have battery packs for jump starting, so that's reassuring.

Anyone done meet&greet? Worth the extra £40/50?

QuintEggSensuality Fri 29-Mar-13 22:01:39

Have done meet and great. For us it is either that or a taxi. Works out approximately the same, not counting petrol.

QuintEggSensuality Fri 29-Mar-13 22:02:07

greet, I meant, not great

takeaway2 Fri 29-Mar-13 22:05:27

Check out holidayextras.co.uk. Great service and prices! We once stayed at a hotel and then parked for 2 weeks. For cheaper than just parking!! And it included the bus transfer!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now