Urgent - supposed to be driving from Munich to UK tomorrow - snow on roads??

(10 Posts)
ernesttheBavarian Tue 26-Mar-13 17:24:03

I normally drive up through germany, hang a left before Köln, drive through Belgium and down to Calais.

Am considering going through France instead if the motorways are any better?

Any ideas what the conditions are through europe right now. Am dreading this drive shock

WynkenBlynkenandNod Tue 26-Mar-13 21:21:30

I'm really sorry I don't know. We're doing Calais to Aachen on Friday and have just fitted winter tyres as a precaution after speaking to my cousin who is in the Eifel fairly near Bonn. On Sunday she said they had lots of snow and she was fed up with it. I'm kind of hoping that everyone is more organised that side of the Channel and it will be ok.

WynkenBlynkenandNod Tue 26-Mar-13 21:29:18

I have found this map.

Portofino Wed 27-Mar-13 09:22:02

The motorways are clear in Belgium at the mo.

ernesttheBavarian Wed 27-Mar-13 15:21:24

Thanka all of you. Dh decided we should delay the journey by 24 hours, so we leave tomorrow morning instead. We have winter tyres on, so now just have to hope we don't get caught up in too much winter traffic.

That map is great. I was looking for similar but failed to find it. Does everyone who drives this route have breathalisers in their car (heard it was compulsory in France?)

And anyone who regularly drives LH to RH, do you have easy way to convert the headlights? Those disposable stick on ones are like a tenner a time!

WynkenBlynkenandNod Wed 27-Mar-13 15:57:04

I have got a breathalyser that we picked up at the Eurotunnel terminal after the law came in, it didn't cost much. Last year. Not sure how else to convert the headlights. I ordered a pack from Amazon the other day for about £3.50 but they haven't arrived. Luckily I've just found some in the glove compartment.

It's been threatening to snow here (Dorset) all day but not yet come to anything. I'm off in a minute to get some Euros.

WynkenBlynkenandNod Wed 27-Mar-13 15:59:53

Oh why did I just type that bit about the snow ?!

Portofino Wed 27-Mar-13 20:29:23

No snow here and none forecast.

WynkenBlynkenandNod Wed 27-Mar-13 22:01:25

Thanks Portofino, that is encouraging smile

PatriciaHolm Wed 27-Mar-13 22:23:01

French breathalyser law has been shelved; it was widely rumoured to be essentially a money making venture for the manufacturers with little evidence for their efficacy. So it's been "postponed" again, essentially killed.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now