Was Dubai (Jumeirah Beach Hotel) Your Best Ever Family Holiday?

(56 Posts)
ChickenSpring Mon 25-Mar-13 20:59:57

Looking to book a holiday at Jumeirah Beach hotel for a special birthday. Was really excited, until the prices started going up and up... So frustrated that we could have got the same holiday for £3-400 less just a couple of weeks ago. Now faced with either researching other holidays, or just booking at the higher price. Very keen to hear from anyone who has been with young children (ours are 5 and 2). We would be booking the dine around half board package which I understand is valid at all the Jumeirah hotels. Would we really enjoy fine dining with young children though? Oh and very nervous about drink costs too.

mixedmamameansbusiness Fri 05-Apr-13 19:13:27

I absolutely love heat, I have never in my life ever complained of it being too hot. I have spent almost all of my summers in Turkey often at 38-40 degrees and never ever complained.

But Dubai, it isn't heat, it is humidity. To be fair we had just been to the Seychelles so didn't really need to chill out anymore, but every time I left a building my glasses completely glazed over and my husband had sweat running down his legs.... It was weird. And Early septemeber. Having said that I don't personally think heat is aroblem for children as long as they are protected and with the sea or the pool I think it is fine. When we were kids in Turkey we spent all day at the beach always and when we take our kids we do the same, just need to take the usual precautions and everyone has to go in the water regularly.

I am biased but since people have already mentioned Turkey, I imagine you could get so much for your money in Turkey as well as perhaps a bit of culture to boot.

The luxury in Dubai I found a bit too in my face. Don't get me wrong it was lovely but way too OTT, we actually swapped our last night to stay in a desert hotel and felt so much more relaxed. It was once in a lifetime luxury but not one I am in a rush to repeat.

Enjoy whatever you decide, I think with that budget you will get something really nice somewhere.

humblebumble Fri 05-Apr-13 18:42:32

It sounds to me as if you are looking for luxury accommodation and relaxing holiday then Dubai isn't a bad choice. THere is very little of "cultural" interest, but it is fun for a short holiday. People seem to love it or hate it.

Did you say you planning on going in June? It will be very hot, average highs of 38 degrees. It will be Ramadan for most of July and some of August this year, which I would avoid although hotel prices would be much cheaper!

I lived in Dubai for a few years. I like the heat. It doesn't really cool down at night at that time of year, which can be odd if you are not used to it. I can't remember it being that humid in June, it was worse in August/Sept/Oct.

JBH is a good family hotel, it connect with all the Jumeriah Hotels so you will have access to the same things (you can take a golf cart from one end of the resort to the other). The pools are chilled so they will be cool. The sea will most likely be too warm to pleasurably go into. There are lots of restaurant choices within the massive complex. Also the city is set up for the heat so there are lots of air conditioned choices if it is too hot.

Ive just booked the Moon Palace in Mexico. Ive booked 10 nights all inclusive, in May, for just under 5k. Maybe that could be an option for you?

Barbie1 Fri 05-Apr-13 18:33:08

Have you tried this web site for some inspiration? smithandfamily.co.uk/

givemeaclue Fri 05-Apr-13 18:29:18

Go te Turkey instead then!

ChickenSpring Fri 05-Apr-13 18:19:12

It is such a shame about the weather. We can only afford a big holiday like this once a year (and this is a lot more than we normally spend anyway), so if we don't go in June, Dubai is pretty much ruled out for us on a cost basis.

tass1960 Fri 05-Apr-13 18:13:49

Agree re DAM - been for the last three years taking advantage of the summer flavours deal - going again in September - lots of fantastic restaurants to choose from so it's not like half board deal in a hotel with only one restaurant. Always book early though and get great deals

Barbie1 Fri 05-Apr-13 18:05:16

I lived in Dubai for four years and was very sad to leave.

I however wouldn't recommend going in the middle of summer, it's so very hot and wouldn't be at all pleasant especially with children

ChickenSpring Fri 05-Apr-13 17:58:22

Minty, it's not so much about wanting to stay in Dubai, but more about staying in a luxury, family friendly resort, short-ish flight, good food. Regarding budget, we set out wanting to spend £4.2k, this has now risen to £4.5k (+£1k drinks/other budget eek!). We can get 10 days half board, ocean views, refurbished room in JBH for this price. I've tried to find alternative luxury holidays in Europe in budget and I'm struggling. I really liked Martinhal in Portugal that Mutley kindly recommended, but couldn't get it on budget including food.
I'm coming to the conclusion we need to find out for ourselves whether we love or hate Dubai as opinions differ so wildly! My concern about the weather is growing, but we have friends who have stayed over the summer and they seemed to think it was fine. I have never stayed anywhere that hot before, it's really hard to imagine how we will adjust to it and how limiting it may be.

mixedmamameansbusiness Fri 05-Apr-13 15:21:09

I haven't been with children but we went for honeymoon and stayed at the burj al Arab and a hotel in the desert that I can't remember. I enjoyed it but it was air conditioned car,air conditioned hotel, air conditioned shopping centre and for me it really lacked character, but if I went with DC perhaps chilling out by the pool would be more the order anyway, but there are other places I would rather go to for that personally so don't be too disappointed. I

HolidayArmadillo Fri 05-Apr-13 00:18:07

I like Dubai. Sorry.

We stayed at the Jebel Ali Golf resort. And latterly with friends. But June would be far too hot. Latest we've been is April and earliest October. Both still far too hot.

MintyyAeroEgg Fri 05-Apr-13 00:10:41

Op, I am also seriously puzzled as to why you would want to holiday in Dubai. Or why anyone would want to, for that matter.

If you have a large budget then there are some amazingly beautiful countries to visit in Europe all of which will have wonderful luxury hotel options.

I sincerely cannot understand the appeal of Dubai at all confused.

Wallison Fri 05-Apr-13 00:00:34

"Our camcorder lens steamed up in Dubai" is a sentence that has so many first-world problems jammed into it that I could hardly begin to unravel them

Also very amused at disapproving of gambling but thinking slavery is ok.

Kelleewhy Thu 04-Apr-13 22:49:33

Went to the JBH for my honeymoon 11 years ago, before they created that little island for the celebrities to live on and definitely before the England football team stayed in the Burj! It was lovely and quiet then but from the sounds of some of your comments, it's taken a turn for the worse??

It's best to go in December. We went at a ridiculous time of year - September - and it was so hot that our camcorder lens kept steaming up! Even at 10.30pm! All in all we had a wonderful time at the JBH - great service, not many Brits though.

My worst holiday EVER was when we took our DCs to Egypt!! Never again!

PoppyWearer Thu 04-Apr-13 22:31:06

We had a superb holiday at the JBH ten years ago, when Dubai wasn't exactly unspoilt, but it was possible to move.

We went back about six years ago and it was awful. Rude Russians everywhere, prices had gone through the roof, getting a restaurant reservation was a nightmare and traffic was hell. Everywhere was a building site. To top it all off, it rained!

JBH was still great, but markedly less great than previous experience and we didn't enjoy being elbowed out of the way by rich Russians every five minutes.

Not hurrying back.

carlajean Thu 04-Apr-13 22:26:46

I agree totally with lulubellarama how people would want to holiday somewhere built on slave lab our, which is ongoing, is beyond me

Well I'm glad the weather is putting you off and not the very valid points people have made about the human rights violations hmm

Cosmostocupcakes 'Doesn't every country have human rights issues? '

No, they don't, which is kind of the point. Indian workers in Dubai are often slaves, in the very real sense of the word. Or have you not noticed the roadside shacks they live in? Were you not aware that they have their passports confiscated and are forced to work 7 days a week building roads?

givemeaclue Thu 04-Apr-13 15:48:21

Op if you didn't love Vegas I think youre right not to do Dubai

ChickenSpring Thu 04-Apr-13 14:09:20

Thank you everyone. We still haven't booked our holiday. I was so disappointed when our booking fell through again last week (rooms not available at price quoted) that I've decided to have a few days rest from looking. I am starting to have a few doubts about Dubai as well, mainly the weather (too hot in June!) but also the love it or hate it thing. I am going to look into some of the alternative holidays you have suggested so will keep you posted.

Lonecatwithkitten Wed 03-Apr-13 22:28:33

Chicken there are direct flights to Oman both with BA and Oman air.

Morgan Wed 03-Apr-13 21:15:32

I too lived in Dubai and would say that it will be hot in June - hot sand and surfaces around the pool . Nice when in the water but hot and sweaty otherwise .

I loved Dar al Masyaf though - good choice ! Nicer than JBH but still access to Wild Wadi etc and all the restaurants .

Can also second Oman if you fancy that .

Cosmostocupcakes Wed 03-Apr-13 21:10:10

There are nicer hotels the JBH though!

I see you want to come in June - it will be warm but so will Turkey etc...

Cosmostocupcakes Wed 03-Apr-13 20:55:39

Well I love it - then I would as I have lived there for 10 years - when are you planning on going? Its great for family holidays, lots to do - buy the entertainer book for discount vouchers - drinks are not cheap but similar to other hotels around the world - most evening buffets include drinks.

Children are adored here!

But some will love it and some will hate it!

Doesn't every country have human rights issues? shock

So much hate..... sad or just envy

Mutley77 Wed 03-Apr-13 14:42:51

PS - when I say childcare I mean both the kids club, which my children asked to go to after meeting other kids who were going (they only went 2 hours per day but it was soooooooooo relaxing for DH and I having a break from watching our then 2 year old in the pool for 2 hours), and a lovely girl from the kids club then babysat in the evening while we went to the restaurant which wasn't child suitable / friendly a couple of evenings. The other restaurants were well geared up for kids and there was children's entertainment within our view so that they could enjoy themselves while we ate more leisurely.

Mutley77 Wed 03-Apr-13 14:38:15

Haven't been to Dubai so perhaps I'm not going to be overly helpful but have a couple of close friends who regularly go (and love it!).

However from what you are saying I'm not quite sure what it is about Dubai that is attracting you. You can get luxury accommodation and good food in many places - June is a great time of year in terms of options as Europe is wide open to you in view of the weather. Dubai will be v v hot in June and therefore you may not get the benefits of a holiday that you would enjoy elsewhere (ie kids and you being outside around pool / at beach) without worrying about getting too hot or sunburned the whole time you are there. Having just emigrated to Australia the heat is fast losing its appeal to me - haven't had any trouble with sun safety it is just not overly pleasant to be out in high 30s all day!

Have you looked at somewhere like Martinhal in Portugal - ok I'm sure the height of luxury isn't at quite the same level as Dubai but the food was lovely (on and off the resort), the accommodation was beautiful - and the self-catering townhouses gave extra flexibility over a hotel room. The childcare was also excellent.

I personally would reconsider your options.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now