Was Dubai (Jumeirah Beach Hotel) Your Best Ever Family Holiday?

(56 Posts)
ChickenSpring Mon 25-Mar-13 20:59:57

Looking to book a holiday at Jumeirah Beach hotel for a special birthday. Was really excited, until the prices started going up and up... So frustrated that we could have got the same holiday for £3-400 less just a couple of weeks ago. Now faced with either researching other holidays, or just booking at the higher price. Very keen to hear from anyone who has been with young children (ours are 5 and 2). We would be booking the dine around half board package which I understand is valid at all the Jumeirah hotels. Would we really enjoy fine dining with young children though? Oh and very nervous about drink costs too.

ChickenSpring Fri 05-Apr-13 18:19:12

It is such a shame about the weather. We can only afford a big holiday like this once a year (and this is a lot more than we normally spend anyway), so if we don't go in June, Dubai is pretty much ruled out for us on a cost basis.

givemeaclue Fri 05-Apr-13 18:29:18

Go te Turkey instead then!

Barbie1 Fri 05-Apr-13 18:33:08

Have you tried this web site for some inspiration? smithandfamily.co.uk/

Ive just booked the Moon Palace in Mexico. Ive booked 10 nights all inclusive, in May, for just under 5k. Maybe that could be an option for you?

humblebumble Fri 05-Apr-13 18:42:32

It sounds to me as if you are looking for luxury accommodation and relaxing holiday then Dubai isn't a bad choice. THere is very little of "cultural" interest, but it is fun for a short holiday. People seem to love it or hate it.

Did you say you planning on going in June? It will be very hot, average highs of 38 degrees. It will be Ramadan for most of July and some of August this year, which I would avoid although hotel prices would be much cheaper!

I lived in Dubai for a few years. I like the heat. It doesn't really cool down at night at that time of year, which can be odd if you are not used to it. I can't remember it being that humid in June, it was worse in August/Sept/Oct.

JBH is a good family hotel, it connect with all the Jumeriah Hotels so you will have access to the same things (you can take a golf cart from one end of the resort to the other). The pools are chilled so they will be cool. The sea will most likely be too warm to pleasurably go into. There are lots of restaurant choices within the massive complex. Also the city is set up for the heat so there are lots of air conditioned choices if it is too hot.

mixedmamameansbusiness Fri 05-Apr-13 19:13:27

I absolutely love heat, I have never in my life ever complained of it being too hot. I have spent almost all of my summers in Turkey often at 38-40 degrees and never ever complained.

But Dubai, it isn't heat, it is humidity. To be fair we had just been to the Seychelles so didn't really need to chill out anymore, but every time I left a building my glasses completely glazed over and my husband had sweat running down his legs.... It was weird. And Early septemeber. Having said that I don't personally think heat is aroblem for children as long as they are protected and with the sea or the pool I think it is fine. When we were kids in Turkey we spent all day at the beach always and when we take our kids we do the same, just need to take the usual precautions and everyone has to go in the water regularly.

I am biased but since people have already mentioned Turkey, I imagine you could get so much for your money in Turkey as well as perhaps a bit of culture to boot.

The luxury in Dubai I found a bit too in my face. Don't get me wrong it was lovely but way too OTT, we actually swapped our last night to stay in a desert hotel and felt so much more relaxed. It was once in a lifetime luxury but not one I am in a rush to repeat.

Enjoy whatever you decide, I think with that budget you will get something really nice somewhere.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now