Travelling with two

(5 Posts)
RunningOutOfIdeas Fri 22-Mar-13 09:52:27

If possible, I would go for the longest part overnight. That is if you are fairly confident that your DCs will sleep! I can think of nothing worse than struggling with 2 children who think it is party time when you want to sleep like every one else on the plane.

Definitely plan for a delay. My DD2 is on a special, prescription formula. If I did not have enough of it with me, she would get very sick on ordinary formula. I really took the absolute minimum for me - one change of clothes, deodorant and a hairbrush. Everything else in my hand luggage was for my DDs.

Good luck with whatever you decide.

sjwilkins Thu 21-Mar-13 18:32:17

Hi, thanks so much for your help - that's amazing advice! I never considered a delay! Well done getting home successfully! I'll be flying to Sydney and went through Dubai last time as they offer complementary push chairs which was helpful travelling with my oldest at 9 months. I was just wondering whether the longest part of the flight should be done first overnight....love the tip about assistance at the airport-I never considered that! Good luck with the jetlag!

RunningOutOfIdeas Thu 21-Mar-13 17:31:09

It is 3.30am here. I typed this while waiting for my 5 month old to go back to sleep after a feed. The DCs seem to get over jet lag really quickly. I am now wide awake...

RunningOutOfIdeas Thu 21-Mar-13 17:26:01

Hi. Last week I flew to Oz with my 4 year old and 5 month old. We went via Kuala Lumpur. Before DD2 was born, I have flown via Hong Kong and Singapore. So I have used BA, Qantas, Virgin and Malaysia. I had one Qantas fligh where the cabin crew were unhelpful. All the others have been great. However I have always flown business class. If you can afford it, I really do think it is worth it for the extra space, comfort and attention from crew. At least consider premium economy.

At airports, you can feel like you need to grow at least 2 extra pairs of hands. Security can be a challenge. I use a back pack and trunki. I have all liquids in one pocket of the back pack. Take your time and don't worry about the queue of passengers behind you. If they are impatient they should have offered to help you.

Don't be afraid to ask for help. This time I requested assistance to be available at Brisbane airport. That really helped - I had some one to hold our passports, you go through a separate immigration queue and she got our bags from the carousel and pushed the trolley through customs.

Make sure your hand luggage contains various little toys to keep your eldest occupied and have enough nappies, formula etc to allow for delays. This time our flight from the uk was delayed by 8 hours, so we missed our connection in KL, had to stay overnight there ( all sorted out by the airline) and get the flight 24 hours later to Brisbane. Cleaning and sterilising bottles in a hotel room is a total pain in the arse but possible.

I don't think there is much difference between the possible routes you have mentioned (I have not gone via Dubai). Since I usually travel to Brisbane, avoiding the need for a extra change at Sydney was important.

sjwilkins Thu 21-Mar-13 17:00:10

Hi, does anyone have experience flying with 2 children long haul to Australia. I plan to travel by myself with a 2.5 year old and 8 month old and am not sure whether to fly via Dubai or Singapore/Hong Kong/Bangkok. Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now