Webchat with Tristram Hunt, Labour education shadow, MONDAY 27 April at 12 midday ×

Anyone in the travel industry? Changing holiday - are tour operators likely to agree?

(7 Posts)

I have a booking for a holiday in July with Thomas Cook.
I booked it early because it's a hotel that sells out in school holidays and now we may not be able to travel on the date in question. It's not something insurance would cover.
What I would like to do is
a) book a holiday in the same place a couple of weeks later (unlikely due to availability) or
b) book somewhere else for a similar priced holiday (around £5k) or
c) rebook the holiday for 2014?
Does anyone know whether they are likely to agree or should I be resigned to losing my deposit?

Rosa Wed 20-Mar-13 15:41:29

Read the T&c and then give them a call.. Thats your best bet and see what they say.

specialsubject Wed 20-Mar-13 15:47:36

...and do it quickly. If you do have to pay cancellation charges, they get bigger the nearer the date.

I haven't yet paid the final balance so the most I would lose is deposit, although that's a lot.
It would seem to me to be in their interest to keep my business as I plan to spend several thousand pounds on a holiday but I don't know how much flexibility or discretion they have.
Can't ring yet as I we may still be able to go but I'll do it before the final payment.

Fluffy1234 Wed 20-Mar-13 16:40:52

Just before Christmas I swapped a holiday for this Easter to another one for next Easter with Thomsons and paid a £50 per person ammendment fee. I had already aid £1000 deposit so thought it was worthwhile.

Yes Fluffy that would be better than losing £700 deposit. Had you booked online or in store?

preggersbycheggers Wed 20-Mar-13 19:47:30

Yes you can change it. But you will be charged an admin fee.

Just give them a call and they can sort it out for you or go to whoever you booked it through.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now