Help! Hand luggage on airlines. What can you take?

(14 Posts)
Ladyemem Wed 20-Mar-13 09:51:16

My 17yr daughter is going on holiday with another family for a week for the 1st time on a plane. I havent been on a plane for over 20 years so havent a clue.

Family she is going with have decided all to take hand luggage only!!! to save time and money i guess. As you can imaging she not happy about that. Is this normal to only take hand luggage??? but that hardly any clothes.

Daughter panicing about what she can take. I understand she limited on bag size and weight up to 5kg.

someone please explain liquids. I know they go in a separate clear bag but info i read say containers to bigger than 100ml! so cant she take a 200ml bottle of suncream?????

EggsWhyZed Wed 20-Mar-13 10:01:13

Do you know which airline she's travelling with? The weight and size restrictions vary between the airlines so it's useful to know, and then you can look online for that airline's information. Some, for example, don't specify a weight limit, but you have to be able to lift the case into the overhead locker. It helps if you can get a case that is as big as possible for the limits given (make sure you include the wheels in the measurement - my case was too big by virtue of the wheels and I had to pay extra for it to go in the hold).

As for liquids, yes the 100ml limit would mean she couldn't take a 200ml bottle of suncream. She could buy some once she's gone through security if that would help. Also she needs to be careful not to pack anything sharp - nail scissors for example - as they would be taken from her.

I've done hand luggage only a couple of times - it's not too bad but you just need to think carefully!

Ladyemem Wed 20-Mar-13 10:13:52

ok thankyou. Will check what airline they have booked and look at their info.
so she cant take a 200ml bottle of cream but she can take 3 x 100ml bottle? is that right? and aerosols have to be 100ml or less too?

shrimponastick Wed 20-Mar-13 10:23:15

Yes, you need to check the airline's website as they all vary in weights/dimensions.

I have travelled with hand luggage only a few times. Most recently on a 6 day trip to the USA -
it just needs a bit of thought.

ALL liquids have to be under 100ml each, and in a resealable plastic bag, to be displayed to security. I always put lip balms and mascaras in the bag too j ust to be on the safe side.

lush do solid shampoos and conditioners which are great for travel. Suncream can be bought at the airport, once past
security. I often buy onboard - Ultrasun is v good.

Hope she has a good holiday.

specialsubject Wed 20-Mar-13 11:04:39

check the airline website for the rules on hand luggage weight and size. If weight is an issue, DON'T use a bag with wheels, they are dead weight. If it is too heavy to carry, take less.

she MAY be allowed a handbag as well as her cabin bag, again depends on the airline.

the plastic bag is for liquids, gels and pastes - so all makeup, toothpaste etc. If she gets travel sizes and is sensible on the slap, it will all fit in the bag. No container can be over 100ml, end of. These amounts are plenty for a week for everything except suncream - for that, take a small container and then buy abroad, NOT on the plane which is crazy expensive.

packing list for a week somewhere warm-ish: - four t-shirts, one swimsuit, two pairs shorts, one skirt, two dressy tops, underwear, one change of shoes. She travels in trousers, trainers, a couple of t-shirts and a fleece top, plus a rain jacket if she will need that.Also the obvious; passport, insurance, money, cards, book, MP3 and medication. Yes, I know she's a teen but that doesn't mean she HAS to be high maintenance.

top tip - take an empty water bottle through security, then fill from the tap afterwards.

preggersbycheggers Wed 20-Mar-13 19:50:26

Stick deodorant and roll all clothes is my packing tip.

Also if she doesn't mind layering up a bit (think Joey in friends) then she can wear a few extra items of clothes!!!

mamij Wed 20-Mar-13 20:00:13

Although liquids have a maximum limit of 100ml, it doesn't mean you can pack 10s of bottles. I think all the containers have to fit into one (small) ziplock bag. You'll be able to find the dimensions on the website.

Ladyemem Thu 21-Mar-13 20:37:11

Just found out its with easy jet. Managed to find a small case with wheesl that just about fits the hand baggage size 56 x 25 x 45. It says only 1 piece of hand luggage allowed. no mention of weight so guess that doesnt matter.
so what happens with your handbag?
She wants to keep her money ipod on her.

preggersbycheggers Thu 21-Mar-13 21:09:46

Easy jet are strict with extra bags. I had to put my handbag inside my wheelie bag.

mamij Thu 21-Mar-13 21:18:08

She can take her handbag up to the gate, so long as it can fit into her suitcase before she boards.

Easyjet are strict, so make extra money by charging more for other things such as additional baggage, overweight baggage, no print out of tickets etc.

Wineandchoccy Thu 21-Mar-13 21:19:22

I think easy jet only let you take 1 piece of luggage so no handbag. Have a look on front of magazines for the freebies, last year I bought 4 magazines to get the mini Clinique makeup to pack.
Check what her friend and family are taking could they share toothpaste, after sun etc
The plastic bag has to fasten otherwise they make you throw something away.

janek Fri 22-Mar-13 13:46:24

We have three of these, they are 44 litres, which is only 20 litres less than my 'normal', big rucksack. There is plenty of room in it, plenty. You would be surprised how capacious it is!

specialsubject Fri 22-Mar-13 14:21:09

she wears clothes with zip pockets for the money and ipod. She will have to put her handbag in the wheelie, and as long as she can lift it into the locker unaided, it is fine.

if she can't, she's packed too much.

specialsubject Fri 22-Mar-13 14:22:00

oh yes - top tip for first time flyers - before disembarking check and triple check that you have everything. Things left in the seat pocket in front are a common problem.

you cannot go back and will NEVER see the item again if left.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now