Cancelled flight

(61 Posts)
NadiSel Wed 20-Mar-13 06:21:04

Hello peeps,

After some advice from anybody with practical experience of fighting the airlines!

Had my US Airways flight cancelled twice a week ago. Should have travelled out on Sat morning at 1055hrs am from Brussels to the US, but the flight was eventually cancelled at 8pm after a sorry tale of a pilot going sick, followed by a mechanical fault on the aircraft. We were housed in a hotel overnight ready to take the same flight on the Sunday morning. I turned up on Sunday morning but this was also subsequently cancelled after the part required to sort out the mechanical fault had not arrived.

I was eventually rebooked onto an alternative airline and I got out to the States on Sunday. However, I incurred a wasted Saturday obviously as well as the cost of the hotel in the States that I had booked for Saturday evening. I could not cancel the hotel as their terms and conditions stated I had to cancel before 4pm, and the flight was not finally/officially cancelled until 8pm on Sat. At 8pm I called the hotel to cancel but was told it was too late.

The airline have offered me a free flight that I must use within a year, but have refused compensation for the hotel that I was charged for but could not use because of the airlines inability to get me to the States as booked.

So what should I do ? I would have preferred cash instead of the offer of a flight, and I would have liked a refund of my hotel costs, as well as the international telephone charges that I incurred trying to cancel the hotel.

Anyone out there with experience?

pompompom Fri 22-Mar-13 17:15:28

Ugh, I'm glad there aren't many posters like the OP on here

NadiSel Fri 22-Mar-13 17:56:45

Nope I didn't say that. And, I do consider myself as a nice person..at least one who would give anyone the benefit of my experience if I thought that would help.

Insurance is all a question of the level of risk you are comfortable with. By all means take it out when you feel uncomfortable being without it. Just make sure you understand the fineprint and that they will be as friendly and sympathetic if you have to claim, as when you hand over your cash to take out the policy!

AuntFini Fri 22-Mar-13 18:11:55

Who in their right minds would travel anywhere abroad, let alone the US without insurance??? I am baffled that you can't see that that's a stupid move!

Lighthousekeeping Fri 22-Mar-13 18:28:08

It's £12 that's all. It's pennies compared to the flight and hotel. I've never met anyone in my life that would go to the US without it.

clam Fri 22-Mar-13 18:29:02

I wouldn't be comfortable with any level of risk travelling abroad without insurance. Particularly to the USA.

montage Fri 22-Mar-13 20:42:27

But you're a comedian yourself OP! I am enjoying the juxtaposition of " a big bug bear of mine is that if you don't know definitively what you are talking about, then don't commit to print." and "Just make sure you understand the fineprint" with your thinking that "In any case won't a Ehic card cover you for the basics?" when you're travelling to the USA!

This thread really reminds me of the Mango one.

Lighthousekeeping Fri 22-Mar-13 20:53:24

A wind up?

clam Fri 22-Mar-13 21:02:38

E-hic. Clue is in the E standing for European.

NadiSel Sat 23-Mar-13 09:31:00

hahaha...

I did think of summarising the contributions to this thread from both Clam and Lighthousekeeping, in this post just to show how helpful these 2 posters have been, but I lost interest.

Thanks for your wonderful and helpful interventions. You have added to the body of human knowledge. As for the others - a genuine thanks

clam Sat 23-Mar-13 11:29:40

My main contribution has been, along with a fair few others, to express surprise that you would contemplate travel abroad to the US without insurance. If you really thought that it was unnecessary as you're normally in good health and have an EHIC card, then I would say my posts have been more than helpful.

Get travel insurance.

NadiSel Sat 23-Mar-13 12:10:22

Firstly, it all depends on the manner in which something is said.

Secondly my original post was not about travel insurance for health cover in the US.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now