Cancelled flight

(61 Posts)
NadiSel Wed 20-Mar-13 06:21:04

Hello peeps,

After some advice from anybody with practical experience of fighting the airlines!

Had my US Airways flight cancelled twice a week ago. Should have travelled out on Sat morning at 1055hrs am from Brussels to the US, but the flight was eventually cancelled at 8pm after a sorry tale of a pilot going sick, followed by a mechanical fault on the aircraft. We were housed in a hotel overnight ready to take the same flight on the Sunday morning. I turned up on Sunday morning but this was also subsequently cancelled after the part required to sort out the mechanical fault had not arrived.

I was eventually rebooked onto an alternative airline and I got out to the States on Sunday. However, I incurred a wasted Saturday obviously as well as the cost of the hotel in the States that I had booked for Saturday evening. I could not cancel the hotel as their terms and conditions stated I had to cancel before 4pm, and the flight was not finally/officially cancelled until 8pm on Sat. At 8pm I called the hotel to cancel but was told it was too late.

The airline have offered me a free flight that I must use within a year, but have refused compensation for the hotel that I was charged for but could not use because of the airlines inability to get me to the States as booked.

So what should I do ? I would have preferred cash instead of the offer of a flight, and I would have liked a refund of my hotel costs, as well as the international telephone charges that I incurred trying to cancel the hotel.

Anyone out there with experience?

NadiSel Thu 21-Mar-13 18:45:30

Blimey,

the thread has veered off into a travel insurance for health benefits rant...not the original 'should I take the ticket or can I get cash compensation' discussion that I was after.

Secondly, a big bug bear of mine is that if you don't know definitively what you are talking about, then don't commit to print. I don't want the benefit of what you might have heard off a friend of a friend who heard it off the cleaner who might have picked it off the TV or newspaper or something. If I don't know something, then I certainly don't comment.

I'm after someone's practical experience of claiming compensation for a cancellation or delay - anybody got that or notconfused

TeamEdward Thu 21-Mar-13 18:48:12

Take the ticket. It's all you'll get. You should have got insurance, then the insurance company would have reimbursed your costs.

Enough?! grin

clam Thu 21-Mar-13 18:58:34

<Shrug> Good luck with that then.

Lighthousekeeping Thu 21-Mar-13 19:26:29

I'd be over the moon with a free plane ticket to the states.

JudithIscariot Thu 21-Mar-13 19:35:51

You were bloody lucky to get a free ticket. Nice that you decide to be snidey. If you travel you need travel insurance, or risk ending up out of pocket like you are. Them's the breaks I am afraid.

pompompom Thu 21-Mar-13 19:40:01

Sorry, but with no travel insurance you probably won't get anything back. This is exactly the sort of thing it is for.

A friend of mine flew to the state's without travel insurance, had seriously bad abdo pain while there, flew back, was treated for a huge tumour on return! She was told that she was lucky not to die on the plane.

Stop being so arsey and just take this as a lesson learned.

NadiSel Thu 21-Mar-13 19:52:36

Not being arsey or snidey. I just wish peeps would ATFQ - ie answer the f***g question. I would take the ticket but it would be a tad craaaap without the kids wouldn't it? Cash would contribute to a 'no conditions' holiday when and wherever I want to go.

And why should I feel lucky to get a free ticket. I wasted 1 whole day in an airport, and another travelling and paid for a hotel room that remained empty. I had booked a flight that would have got me to the hotel, in a strange country, on Sat afternoon. Instead I got to the hotel at 0130 am on Monday morning. I ended up paying 'after hours' taxi fares and 2 wasted days in the hotel

These penalties on airlines are to stop them messing passengers around so why should I feel grateful!

JudithIscariot Thu 21-Mar-13 19:57:46

Um because you had no fecking travel insurance maybe?

JudithIscariot Thu 21-Mar-13 19:58:05

Question answered.

specialsubject Thu 21-Mar-13 20:02:25

no insurance, no comeback.

lucky you didn't have any problems in the States.

bye.

SolomanDaisy Thu 21-Mar-13 20:05:33

I have experience of complaining compensation. I posted a link which explains your rights. I also have experience of the benefits of travel insurance. Are you always so rude?

hermioneweasley Thu 21-Mar-13 20:06:29

Erm, OP it is both rude and snidey to swear at people. Ie: ATFQ.

If you post on a forum you have no control over the responses. People came on here to help. You have had your answer. Be gracious.

Lighthousekeeping Thu 21-Mar-13 20:07:17

The kids weren't with you then which is why you only got one free ticket. You can have a break on your own as you seem to have travelled without them in the first place. Why didn't you email the hotel instead of making expensive phone calls? There's nothing you can do. Insurance would've only been a tenner. I know cos I've just bought it for the States. Well worth it.

dopeysheep Thu 21-Mar-13 20:08:23

"a tad craaaaap without the kids" What? Free flight plus perfect excuse to leave the children at home and it's crap? Noooooooo it would be fun, if you have someone to leave them with. You could do adult things. It would be great. I'll have your ticket. . .

NadiSel Thu 21-Mar-13 20:09:35

No not always so rude. I looked at your link. Thank you for it. It was one of the more helpful and relevant posts.

IntheFrame Thu 21-Mar-13 21:18:36

Do you have the ticket yet? I would check the conditions carefully as often their are certain exempt flights/times of year etc. If it's a simple free ticket then take it - you've done well. They did get you to your destination and back.

You might not have got any compensation as you flight was cancelled within 12 hours. Lots of flights/insurance require at least a 12 hour delay before they compensate.

Why should they have to pay out for a plane load of passengers onward bound plans? Would they have to compensate the businesswomen who missed her multi million dollar meeting...nah. As everyone says that's what insurance is for.

clam Thu 21-Mar-13 21:30:57

Question: do insurance companies pay out if the airline has offered some sort of compensation?
ATFQ, people! wink

Lonecatwithkitten Thu 21-Mar-13 21:46:38

Real life experience non-EU airline flight cancelled ultimately had to make own way home at a cost of £3500 for three of us we got nothing no even our taxes back from the airline. We struggled to get even confirmation from them that they had cancelled the flight for our travel insurance for the measly £300 they gave us. If I had been offered a free ticket to anywhere I would have grabbed it with both hands and run.

Bananasinfadedpjs Thu 21-Mar-13 22:03:07

Surely when it is 8pm in Brussels it is earlier than 4pm in the US?

Lighthousekeeping Thu 21-Mar-13 22:08:32

1300 or 1400?

clam Thu 21-Mar-13 22:19:07

Easy coast of USA currently 4 hours behind UK until our clocks go forward. Theirs switched a week or two back. But EU is already an hour ahead of us ...
<counts on fingers and toes. Falls over>

JudithIscariot Thu 21-Mar-13 22:23:26

Quite, Banana.

NadiSel Fri 22-Mar-13 16:43:48

So back on track...decided to contest their decision using the useful advice from here, and won! So cash in hand rather than a ticket with so many T&Cs that it would take a lawyer to decipher. IntheFrame thanks for the tip.

Didn't ask me about travel insurance or nothing. Lesson for me and others who may need it - There is law out there to protect passengers. When you confront them with it, they recognise their reputation is at stake. If they start from the EU or are a EU airline landing in the EU they are under the jurisdiction.

So for those who use this forum to spread useful advice and info, thank you. For those who see themselves as comedians or who contribute with nothing based on fact good luck. Perhaps the latter group would like me to start a thread so they can convince themselves they are being useful to the wider communitywink.

Lighthousekeeping Fri 22-Mar-13 17:05:55

Oh, you have a strange attitude. You don't come across as being very nice at all.

Hahahahaha to say that comments such as 'don't travel to the US without travel insurance' are not based on fact.

ha ha ha ha

But never mind you are fit and healthy.

My dad was taken off a plane during transit (luckily not in the US) and taken to hospital after he vomited and felt unwell on the plane. It was not a reciprocal agreement country. My parents had to pay the full bill for an overnight hosp, mums hotel and umpteen phone calls etc.

But they got the money back from their travel insurance.

OP I hope you got a ton of compensation. If I were you Id put it in the bank to pay any medical expenses you may incur when travelling in future.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now