Off to Barcelona this weekend. What should I do/ where should I eat?

(12 Posts)
Rizzlekicks Tue 19-Mar-13 23:24:10

Never been there before and want to make the most of what is meant to be an amazing city. No children in tow!

IntheFrame Wed 20-Mar-13 10:13:46

For lovely a view and lovely food on the beach. Then walk down the beach do a bit of shopping in Port Vell and walk across the main road to Calle Mercè which is a small lane full of character bars and little tapas places for supper.

The best bit about Barcelona is that it has so many different areas

manic Tue 26-Mar-13 22:22:14

I went last September with friends and want to go again, we stayed directly off the top of Las Ramblas. However, we can't seem to be able to book same 1st week of September (9 of us needing 3 rooms of 3 single beds pref). Is there something going on in Barcelona that weekend? Last year we had the pick of lots of hotels.... Can anyone particularly recommend a nice hotel, just Board, but close to where we want to be....?? Much appreciate any response... :-)

chicaguapa Tue 26-Mar-13 22:42:38

I lived there for 2 years and always recommend Margarita Blue which is at the bottom of the Ramblas on a side street on the left. Get there before you want to eat as you'll need to book a table and then have a drink while you're waiting. It has a nice atmosphere that you feel like you can combine it with a night out and stay in the bar after you've eaten.

The Born area has nice places to drink and eat and is full of trendy locals.

Les Quinze Nits is off the Ramblas and people start queuing quite early for it. But it's a big restaurant so the queue moves quickly once it opens. It's full of locals.

The tourist bus is a good way to get around and it takes you to places you wouldn't bother going to, like Parc Guell, but IMO are worth it. Don't bother going inside Sagrada Familia, just looking outside is enough.

There's a funfair on Tibidabo and the tourist bus takes you to the tram at the bottom of the hill. The market on the Ramblas is worth walking around.

Els Quarter Gats is a café off Placa Catalunya which is where Picasso and his friends hung out in their hey day.

People always go to the new port area but I think it's awful. It's full of stag weekends, hen parties and Brits. There are far nicer areas in Barcelona.

Hope you have a good time. Take care with opening times as it's Semana Santa so there might be some closures.

PoppyWearer Tue 26-Mar-13 22:44:14

envy

That is all.

chicaguapa Tue 26-Mar-13 22:49:02

This is a good 3-day itinerary which gives a decent taste of Barcelona. Churros & chocolate in Café de l'Opera is a Sunday pastime which many locals partake in.

domesticslattern Tue 26-Mar-13 22:54:18

Lucky lucky you. Have a super time. My tip is don't get pickpocketed/ scammed in the street- has happened to so many people I know who have visited, including DH. Just be street wise and aware of your surroundings, even when in a holiday mood.

TheCatInTheHairnet Tue 26-Mar-13 22:57:25

manic yes! There is a huge festival in September. We went a few years ago and it was awesome.

elQuintoConyo Tue 26-Mar-13 23:04:01

<marking place to come back tomorrow when I'm on the laptop and can type properly>

I know Barcelona very well, I shall share my knowledge grin if you can wait!

Do not and I repeat do not eat on las ramblas. Well be extortionate and not very good. As a poster above said be aware of pickpockets and be aware of your possessions at all times. Most importantly have fu n

los caracoles if it is still there - just off the ramblas. Love it!

chicaguapa Wed 27-Mar-13 19:01:25

I second Los caracoles.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now