Anyone use a Trunki with an older child?

(9 Posts)
nappyaddict Tue 19-Mar-13 08:07:49

The website says they are for up to 7 years. DS is 6.9 and I'm not sure if it's worth buying one if he won't use it again after this holiday.

givemeaclue Tue 19-Mar-13 09:36:20

Every time you see them in airports, its the parents pulling or carrying them and they look cumbersome, never the kids riding on them or pulling them!

forevergreek Tue 19-Mar-13 09:45:25

They are horrid, uncomfortable to carry when not on, don't fit under seat so up and down every 2 minutes getting something out of locker.

I would just give them a small rucksack with own things in. (2 and 3 year old here carry own snacks/ change of clothes and entertainment now- they also manage walk to and from plane so I would expect an almost 7 year old to tbh)

mummymeister Tue 19-Mar-13 10:10:37

agree they are one of those things that looks like it should be a really good idea but isnt. only ever see parents bent over pulling them. buy a fun coloured small suitcase with wheels. encourage your ds to put loads of stickers on it ( my girls put ribbons on theirs!) and then see how many he has after each journey etc. makes it much more fun especially for older kids

Mutley77 Tue 19-Mar-13 13:46:30

Definitely wouldn't bother for a 6yo. My DS (age 4) has one that a friend gave us 2nd hand and I think it is pretty good as he generally pulls it behind himself and it does keep all his toys in one place for a journey. However I wouldn't buy one at full price - a pull along suitcase is probably more worthwhile. The main problem we've found with the Trunki is that it has to have a big space to open right up (something that zips is more useful as you can less obtrusively get things out/put things in).

We got them when DSs were 2 and 4 and they have been great. however, they are now 6 and 8 and I wouldn't buy them now. We are flying at Easter, and little one wants to take his....it will depend on baggage allowance whether he gets his wish.

mungotracy Tue 19-Mar-13 14:35:25

i find my eldest wont fit in a trunkie which is most annoying..... i can no longer take him as hand luggage....

nappyaddict Tue 19-Mar-13 18:27:11

fedup How old was your eldest when he last used his (and rode on it)

Oooh. Last summer he wanted to take it - but we were in the car so he didn't ride on it. I would say that 5, possibly 6 (depending on size) is probably the oldest they can ride on them.

DS1 isn't interested in riding anymore. DS2 would probably give it a go.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now