Edinburgh

(20 Posts)
sailorsgal Fri 08-Mar-13 22:28:48

We are going at easter. We are staying near the castle. Can anyone recommend what to do with kids. Ds is 6. TIA

girlylala0807 Fri 08-Mar-13 22:36:15

Things to do for free:

National Museum of Scotland. Amazing museum because I work there

Gorgie Farm. A 20 minute bus ride away. Fantastic place.

Museum of childhood on the Royal mile.

Good but expensive: Dynamic earth, Zoo, Castle

Loads more let me think

Graceparkhill Fri 08-Mar-13 22:40:03

Open top bus tour . Trip across the Forth on the rail bridge. Deep Sea World. Botanic Gardens, Inverleith Park. Walk along Water of Leith. Modern Art Gallery.
The list is endless.

LittlePushka Fri 08-Mar-13 22:45:35

Google Festival of Science - loads of fab stuff foyou your DS to do and in particular check out what is going on at the Art Gallery for the festival. Even if you think it will be boring - its not - it is BRILLIANT!

sailorsgal Fri 08-Mar-13 22:45:47

Am very excited! Looks like a great city. smile

givemeaclue Fri 08-Mar-13 22:49:19

Museum of Scotland is fantastic for kids, zoo is good too. We went at half term it was great

zippy539 Fri 08-Mar-13 22:50:56

For down-times the small play park at in the west end of Princes St Gardens is good - or was three years ago. Also for free would second the national museum, the botanics (great for a run-around) and the walk from the modern art gallery to Stockbridge (or vice versa) along the water of leith.

If your DS is into trains there is a bridge in Princes Street Gardens (behind-ish the bandstand) that you can stand on and wave at the trains and the driver usually waves back.

MumVsKids Fri 08-Mar-13 22:51:37

Open top bus tour definitely and a ghost walk if you get chance smile

Beautiful city, I love Edinburgh smile

zippy539 Fri 08-Mar-13 22:52:02

Do you still have to book a slot to go and see the pandas at the zoo? Worth checking out if you are planning a visit.

BrassMonk Fri 08-Mar-13 22:53:05

Camera obscura is good but pricey, Mary kings close is technically a ghost walk but not very scary.

You're going to have such fun! For food, I suggest you check out The List's Eating and Drinking Guide - it's sometimes in the shop, but online info is here: The List and I find it really useful.

Second the National Museum suggestion - that's a whole day right there. Also Castle and Dynamic Earth. Oh, and the Storytelling Centre on the Royal Mile is nice and has a really good cafe. Also great cafes at Portrait Gallery and Modern Art Gallery (one track mind? uh, yup grin). The Poetry Library just off the Royal Mile has a really lovely little children's nook on the upper level which is a good place to decompress and look at some books. No cafe though!

Oh! Another one - okay, you have to get a bus out of the city for this, but the National Museum of Flight at East Fortune is amazing and would probably have your son in raptures! Interesting for grown-ups too...

LittlePushka Sat 09-Mar-13 00:30:35

Oh Camera Obscura is also brilliant for kids - they wont want to see through the camera but there are about four floors of illusions and tricks for them to be wowed by. Cant remember the price but very worthwhile. On the other hand my 6 YO was terrifued by Mary kings close - I'd palm the kids off with another responsoble adult and go do that on your own - really interesting.

sailorsgal Wed 27-Mar-13 20:36:56

Going tomorrow! Decided to take the train now. Am very excited! grin

sailorsgal Wed 27-Mar-13 20:37:54

Does anyone know of any easter egg hunts in Edinburgh on Sunday?

WildThong Netherlands Wed 27-Mar-13 20:38:40

Wrap up well, it's freeezing!!

sailorsgal Wed 27-Mar-13 20:41:07

We went to Finland last year and I'm a northerner so used to the cold. DH being a soft southerner may struggle! grin

Seems to be a hunt at the botanic gardens.

sailorsgal Sun 31-Mar-13 09:06:11

Thanks. Having a great time and no rain!

sailorsgal Thu 04-Apr-13 21:01:23

Really loved it and though cold at least it was sunny and dry. The castle and zoo were fantastic and we loved dynamic earth. We didn't get to the museum of Scotland but definitely next time. We stayed at the Apex International on Grassmarket which was very central. Lots of families there and children ate for free. smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now