Lisbon - any recommendations

(7 Posts)
MOSagain Fri 08-Mar-13 14:31:00

<packs walking boots>

Bunbaker Fri 08-Mar-13 10:31:11

It is very hilly. Lisbon is set in a valley leading down to the river. The castle is high up and the Alfama is built on the hillside. The botanical gardens are also built on a hill.

MOSagain Fri 08-Mar-13 08:13:54

Thanks for the recommendations, really appreciate it. My youngest will love the trams and the oceanarium.
I've heard its very hilly there, is that the case? Part of me hopes it is as I'm in training for a charity trek in May and might take my walking boots and get in some training.

BestIsWest Thu 07-Mar-13 21:22:21

It's a brilliant place, loads to see.

Take the tram up to the Castelo Sao Jorge and the Alfama - the local kids stick their hands out to touch the buildings they are so close.

Belem - the cloisters in the Monastery, the Antiga Confeiteira de Belém for Pasteis de Nata, the Tower and the Discovery Monument.

The Oceanarium in the Parque Des Nacoes will appeal to the little ones.

If you like art the Gulbenkian Collection is one of my favourites - it's a mini tour through Art with just one or two examples from each of the great artists from the 14th Century up to the Impressionists.

Agree you should visit Sintra if you have time, it's well worth it.

There are some nice beaches too along the coast - you can get the train to Cascais or Carcavelos. But the water is very cold. The coldest I've ever swum in.

Have a good time

Bunbaker Thu 07-Mar-13 18:06:03

I loved Lisbon. It is the friendliest capital city I have visited.
Places to see:
Belem - the tower and the convent (we went on the tram - no 15)
National tile museum - far more interesting than it sounds as it is in an old convent
The Alfama (old town)
Botanical gardens
Castelo de Sao Jorge
Sintra - we went on the train

Apparently there is now an aquarium worth visiting (it wasn't built when we were there)

Have a fab time

MerylStrop Thu 07-Mar-13 16:27:23

Ahh, the whole place is totally fab
It's all good
Take the bus to Sintra, is amazing

MOSagain Thu 07-Mar-13 16:25:37

Going for easter with DC aged from 4 up to 19.
Any suggestions of not to be missed attractions/places to visit?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now