Tunisia?

(5 Posts)
racingheart Tue 05-Mar-13 21:44:38

We loved Tunisia. One of the best holidays ever. But we went with an Explore tour, so all the planning was done for us.

Rode camels in the desert and slept there under the stars, eating bread baked in the sand (sounds horrible but was lovely.) Rode out onto a vast dried up salt lake. Went to Tozeur and Matmata village where Star Wars was filmed and stayed in one of those burrowed out hotels. Went to Khairouan, the town of hundreds of mosques, which looks like a drawing from a book of fairy tales, and had Turkish baths there. Also saw lots of really stunning Roman ruins, mosaics, a perfectly preserved amphitheatre, the original site of Carthage, and loads more. The medinas (bazaars) are really stunning - men in long embroidered cloaks smoking bubble-pipes and selling ornate gold jewellery. The whole trip was so beautiful.

If it's just a cheap sea and sand holiday you want, you're probably better off somewhere where you're less likely to be pestered. The resorts around the coast have a bad reputation. But if you want a bit of travel and adventure, it's really worth it.

FillyPutty Mon 04-Mar-13 23:17:20

We have been to Marrakech, which we didn't like, not a family-friendly location. We have also been Sharm-el-Sheikh, and we didn't like that, as the pestering/scams was horrendous (we were staying a Hilton with pools and so on, so it should have been ok).

We stayed here in Hammamet for 5 nights www.thomascook.com/destinations/tunisia/hammamet/hotel-le-sultan and we liked it. The majority of the guests were French, which was fine by us. There were a few scam attempts, but it was overall much more chilled than Egypt.

If you are looking for something a bit more lively, this looks like a good choice:

www.firstchoice.co.uk/holiday/accommodation/overview/Hammamet/Holiday-Village-Manar-042165

I believe in a place like that you could be anywhere in the world, and you don't have to leave the hotel if you don't like it. The point then in that case, of Tunisia, becomes price - certainly you get more for your money than you would in Spain, and the weather is good for several months a year (I think at this time of year it's not beach weather though)

We flew on BA miles.

Bunbaker Mon 04-Mar-13 22:52:12

We went years ago and hated it. It was the worst holiday abroad. I don't like characterless touristy places so we stayed in Sousse, which is interesting and worth exploring. However it was smelly and we were pestered all the time. We made the mistake of booking it as a budget holiday and our hotel was quite frankly awful.

I shan't rush back to Tunisia.

ripsishere Mon 04-Mar-13 00:36:53

We went years ago and loved it. We were along the road from Al Kantoui (sorry that's phonetically written) in a quiet resort.
We hired a car to get around, the driving was fine. We went to see an amphitheater whose name I couldn't tell you and several other places. The food was fine at the hotel, better outside obviously.
I did find the men to be a bit surprised to see a woman in shorts, it's possibly changed now though.

TaggieCampbellBlack Thu 28-Feb-13 10:42:32

What's it like?

Any hints or tips? Or recommendations? (dds are 15 &17)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now