Long-weekend in New York with the girls in May. What should we see, where should we eat?

(13 Posts)

Thanks, it looks like Liberty Island is still closed after Hurricane Sandy!

CestTout Wed 27-Feb-13 17:17:30

If you are planning on taking the boat to the Statue of Liberty and Ellis Island definitely book in advance - cuts out a lot of the queue. Another vote for brunch at Ellen's!

Not personally a fan of SATC, but I can always manage a cupcake! grin

Southeastdweller Tue 26-Feb-13 18:11:45

Are any of you S.A.T.C fans? If so then pay pilgrimage at Carries apartment in Perry St and have some cupcakes at Magnolia Bakery on Bleecker Street, both in Greenwich Village.

The East Village is great for partying, but most of New York is!

Ooh thank you. Some googling to do and I can't wait!

smellsofsick Tue 26-Feb-13 09:10:09

highline is basically a cool garden in the sky. It's in the meatpacking district so there are loads of cool bars too.

Also, the Flat Iron Lounge for cocktails.

Little bit jealous nowsmile

Hidden stuff - Stanton Social Club - gorgeous tapas. And also The Back Room - very cool bar with G&Ts served in cups and saucers grin

Get a "New York Pass" for sure!! We saved $$$$$$$$s by using one of these.

Portofino Tue 26-Feb-13 08:50:44

Ellen's Stardust Diner for brunch and singing waiters!

queenebay Mon 25-Feb-13 22:54:39

Wear blooming good shoes. Someone told us the pavements would make our feet ache and they were right!
Felt very safe there. Police everywhere. I think you,ll get caught up with all the must see stuff.
Enjoy its a great place!

Thank you. We have a bit of a short-list of the well-known stuff, I guess I'm looking for any top-tips about less well-known or hidden gems.

queenebay Mon 25-Feb-13 21:44:08

There is a hop on hop off bus which is great. Ferry is free so that's good for pics of Statue of Liberty. You will be spoilt for choice for food places. We went to the Jekyll and Hyde club which was great laugh

Any tips welcome...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now